Story Poster
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Texas A&M Baseball

John Doxakis' near no-hitter wasted as Texas A&M falls to Ole Miss, 1-0

May 23, 2019

Another day, another goose egg at the dish for the Aggies.

The Aggies squandered an incredible start from John Doxakis on Thursday, making it back-to-back days they could not capitalize on stellar, masterful, amazing pitching performances. Texas A&M fell to Ole Miss, 1-0, in a game the Rebels had just two hits. Texas A&M is eliminated from the SEC Tournament and their offense is currently nonexistent.

Chris Weber was incredible Wednesday on the mound for the Aggies. John Doxakis was even better on Thursday as he flirted with history and carried a no-hit bid all the way into the ninth inning.

In the top of the ninth, with the ballgame still in a scoreless tie, Rob Childress went to his bullpen, a questionable move that prevented Doxakis from having a chance to finish his masterpiece. The left hander had thrown just 99 pitches.

“[Doxakis] did more than we needed him to do, asked him to do, just like he has all year long,” A&M head coach Rob Childress said. “He’s going to be on mound for us in eight days as well, and that’s where the decision was made.”

John Doxakis departed the ballgame having not allowed a hit through eight innings and struck out 10 Rebels. The only runners Ole Miss managed off him were via four walks.

“You never want to give up the ball in a game like that,” Doxakis said.

Bryce Miller took over on the hill for the Aggies in the ninth. Ole Miss immediately wrecked the no-hitter with a single by Thomas Dillard.

“You never want to give up the ball in a game like that.”
- John Doxakis

After a pop-up to the catcher, Miller was removed in favor of Chandler Jozwiak with coach Childress electing to play the match-up game against Ole Miss’ lineup. It would come back to bite the Aggies.

Before even delivering his first pitch of the outing, Jozwiak balked, and moved Dillard into scoring position with one out. A groundout to third kept the runner at second, now with two down.

The Rebels’ clean-up man, Cole Zabowski, stepped up with a chance to play hero. On what was just the second Ole Miss hit of the contest, Zabowski broke the tie with an RBI double that scored Dillard and gave Ole Miss the 1-0 lead. Unfortunately for the Aggies, that would be enough to lose the game as A&M’s anemic offense could not scratch anything across in the bottom of the ninth.

John Doxakis was dominant but his outing was wasted. Dox broke the SEC Tournament record for length of a no-hit bid with eight complete innings. This comes a day after A&M’s Chris Weber went seven and a third of no-hit ball to set the record that would ultimately be short-lived. In both instances, the Aggie offense couldn’t score a single run in either game to pick up the pitching staff.

Texas A&M managed just three hits off Ole Miss’ starter Doug Nikhazy as the lefty picked up his second victory over the Aggies this season. Nikhazy bested A&M in a contest back on April 26. A&M was able to pick up a fourth hit, a one-out double from Hunter Coleman, in the ninth off of Rebels closer Parker Caracci. Ultimately, they were unable to actually score what would have been the game-tying run.

The A&M offense has now gone 18 innings of baseball since they last scored a run. An Aggie has not crossed home plate since Jonathan Ducoff’s walk-off single plated Cam Blake in the tenth inning vs. Florida on Tuesday. Not even near no-hitters have been able to spark this struggling and (at times) nonexistent Aggie offense.

With A&M’s chances to win the program’s second SEC Tournament title dashed, the Aggies turn their attention to the NCAA Tournament where there is still a chance they could host a regional. The 16 regional host sites will be announced on Sunday evening and the rest of the field of 64 announced Monday at 11:00 a.m. CT during the NCAA Selection Show broadcasted on ESPNU.

Discussion from...

John Doxakis' near no-hitter wasted as Texas A&M falls to Ole Miss, 1-0

5,616 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DGAG92
SouthAustinAgSwag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How can a game in which you put up a goose egg be considered a "well played game"? This guy doesn't get it.
mullokmotx
AG
That is 4 times we have been shut out by an SEC team this season. Everyone who took a bat to the plate these last 2 games should be embarrassed.
fieldtrailer
AG
last 2 days feels more like SEC vs A&M than Georgia or Miss vs A&M. Lots of folks love seeing us lose. A conference like ours, who needs enemies?
Aggieangler93
AG
I appreciate the coverage, Gabe.

I am with Childress on pulling Doxakis, from what was essentially a meaningless tournament win, in order to save his arm for the actual post-season that counts for something. I could care less about Hoover wins, as I think our hosting was cemented with the series win over Arkansas. Of course, the selection committee is as predictable as a magic 8 ball, if you ask me.

I hope we get some hits in the Regional and Supers, and I hope our arms continue to dominate whoever we have the pleasure of facing. I hope to hear our name called Sunday night.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Picadillo
Pitching depth good enough to win a CWS. Batting one of the worst in the NCAA.
PabloSerna
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I am with Childress on pulling Doxakis, from what was essentially a meaningless tournament win, in order to save his arm for the actual post-season that counts for something. I could care less about Hoover wins, as I think our hosting was cemented with the series win over Arkansas. Of course, the selection committee is as predictable as a magic 8 ball, if you ask me.

I hope we get some hits in the Regional and Supers, and I hope our arms continue to dominate whoever we have the pleasure of facing. I hope to hear our name called Sunday night.

Not me.. Maybe he already has a no-hitter, maybe one day he will - for sure he had one 3 outs away!
DGAG92
AG
PabloSerna said:

Aggieangler93 said:

Not me.. Maybe he already has a no-hitter, maybe one day he will - for sure he had one 3 outs away!

Absolutely. This "meaningless game" nonsense comes from people who've never played the game or are of the participation trophy era. Every game has a meaning or it wouldn't be played. Always try to win the damn game. Let Dox stay in to get the no-no and the win. If he gives up the hit, then make the move. Childress stripped this kid of an opportunity to do something that rarely happens in D1 baseball.

And it's "couldn't care less" not "could care less"......
Class of 1992
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.