Tough Team

3,940 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ontheway
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just thought I'd post a positive thought during the interlude between regular and postseason.

I feel like our current team is pretty tough.

There were a number of times Cam Blake went face first into a wall or slid into something.

Hoehner took a pretty rough foul ball and was back on Tuesday to play Texas. He took another shot off the inside of his leg a few games ago and stayed in the game. He's started a remarkable 52 of our 55 games behind the plate.

Hunter Coleman broke his arm and returned a week before he was scheduled to be back. He was already contributing to the offense. I believe we were told Ty Coleman played through an injury earlier in the year as well.

Blaum also had a bad bruise from a collision during the Mizzou game. It caused him to miss the only game he hasn't started for us this season, and Coach Childress said that having seen the injury, they expected him to sit for a few days. Then he looked down the bench during the next game and Blaum had put on the uniform anyway and was wanting to play. He hit later and that game and was also in the lineup that Tuesday for the Texas game...hobbling, but still making his plays.

Shewmake has started and played in all 56 games.

Roa also had a brief injury, and returned to post a 3.22 ERA and turn in some big starts like the one we saw this weekend against Arkansas.

Ducoff has battled cancer, and returned to baseball to spark the offense in big games like the ones against Vanderbilt.

Menefee returned from Tommy John surgery to put up a 2.97 ERA and .191 BAA, being put in a ton of big situations against very talented opponents and pitching 33.1 IP. Weber, also a freshman, threw 56.2 IP and had a 3.34 ERA.

Doxakis was yelling "Come on" at the Baylor game when they slowed down his pace to argue a call at Minute Maid, and Lacy did some yelling of his own. They're two of the best competitors I've seen take the mound for the Aggies.

The team also came together to play an entire two games in the absence of Coach Childress, who took the game plan with him and went to a graduation multiple states away for an entire Saturday. True strength in the face of adversity.

I'm sure I missed some things, but I've been glad this group represents Texas A&M. Their effort and resiliency are noticed and appreciated.
trouble
AG
I agree.
BoerneGator
AG
0Thanks for pointing all of that out, Lance. And you deserve an accolade for your faithfullness and resiliency for "starting and completing" most every game for the last several seasons. You're as much of an institution around these parts as Dave South, and we all appreciate your dedication and positivity brought to this board! You're a practical, if optimistic observer!
aggie67,74&76
ptothemo
AG
Thank you for posting this. We can talk for days about strategy, execution, and wins and losses - and those things absolutely matter - but it's nice to be reminded that these guys are out there representing our University in the way that they are.
ParkerAg
AG
Well said.
Goro Majima
AG
We can talk about the hitting woes and other problems, but one thing I noticed about this year's team: if you put them in a corner with their backs to the wall, they will absolutely fight till their last breath.

And I respect the hell out of that.
aeroag14
AG
If we don't host, we are, without a doubt the toughest two seed in the field. This is a battle tested and hardened team. Throw in our depth on the mound and you are talking about a team designed to win drawn out post season series
ensign_beedrill
AG
Got some chills reading this.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
And it was really great to see Ducoff, Foster and Hunter Coleman back to doing what they were doing at the start of the season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I've never jumped off of the Childress bandwagon, but I have been critical of the recent trend of the program (talent dip, strange scheduling, etc.) However, 2019 may be the best coaching job he's done during his entire A&M tenure. We clearly don't have the talent we've had on other teams, but we still managed to win 16 SEC games, sweep through the Astros tourney in March, beat (an albeit crappy) Texas team in Austin, and get on the cusp of hosting a regional.

Considering how weak we are at the plate and the injuries we've faced, I'd have to say it's been a pretty good season. It could have easily gone off the rails on several occasions, but it didn't.

Kudos for RC for the job he's done through the first 56 games this season.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
William_C_G
AG
This team has already exceeded expectations. Lest we forget, the SEC baseball coaches predicted us to finish 5th in the SEC West and Baseball America predicted us to finish 6th. And based on what's been said above,this team isn't close to being finished!
dermdoc
AG
Love this team and still expect it to do big things. And thanks Lance for all you do.

BTHO the gators!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agz win
AG
Never give up attitude! SALTY!

So happy for this team!
Aggie12B
AG
Tough is a GREAT word to describe our team. They do make the occasional wtf play on defense, but they don't give up! Very cool that a cancer survivor was the hero of today's game
ontheway
AG
Thanks for the post Lance. Props to you too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.