An open letter to Coach Evans

13,776 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TxA&Mhunter
gigum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dear Coach Evans

Now that the season is over this may be a golden opportunity to step back and as they say "smell the roses". You have had a wonderful career, achieved national recognition, and were instrumental in elevating the Texas A&M Softball program and facilities to be competitive nationwide.

There is no better time to turn over the coaching reins as the first step to the future of the program. While most of us have difficulty giving up an important component of our adult life, once done, the general consensus is "why didn't I do this sooner".

Your retirement from coaching our softball team allows ample time to recruit nationally for your replacement and takes the pressure off of R.C. in his role as interim AD. Coach Slocum has always been one of your most ardent supporters. He also can tell you first hand the upside of moving from a high pressure coaching position to a more enjoyable and friendly staff environment.

Also, a new direction in the program gives comfort and hope as a reward for those who generously donated to our wonderful facilities.

While I understand that this season did not go as hoped for and many factors beyond your control occurred, a major rebuilding effort is needed. Such a task will require lots of energy and effort and may take some time to accomplish. As you have in past, your actions can be instrumental to getting the movement started.

We know you take great pride in what you have accomplished during your time at Texas A&M and rightly so. Please consider retiring as coach and accepting a staff position within the athletic department.

An old Aggie and devoted fan of our softball program.
Wicked Good Ag
So sad

And even sadder you posted it twice
_mpaul
AG
Wow. Sometimes I hate the Internet.

And why is this an "open letter" that she will probably never read. Man up and email her!
Tobias Funke
AG
The internet is vast. Seemingly endless. And open letters might possibly be the most obnoxious byproduct of the internet
Lance Uppercut
AG
STX Ag
AG
Well. This didn't go well.
AggieBand2004
AG
This actually isn't a dumb open letter, when you really take the time to read it.

It's profoundly dumb.

How could someone sit at their keyboard/cell phone and type this out, thinking it is wise or acceptable?
TXAGBQ76
AG
An open letter to gigum...

Dear gigum:
It has been time for several years to step back and smell the constant piles of manure you consistently leave on TexAgs. Now may be the time for you to retire and grace another fans website with your "insight".

FYI, I have been coaching way longer than your ego led you to believe you were even remotely relevant. How about you worry about yourself- maybe spend some reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People". After reading your "advise", I am sure I speak for all of your family and what few friends you might have, that you need all of the help you can get.

Sincerely:
Coach Jo Evans

PS
Bite me!
ptothemo
AG
I almost feel like I am stealing in that I am able to experience this type of amazing internet for free.
Bernie13
This is more fun than stompn baby chickens
Wicked Good Ag
I was sad for it being posted. I am more sad that three people have blue starred it. It is pathetic to have even written by someone who is older than 10 years old
fieldtrailer
AG
How can this school find a new softball coach if they can't find an AD who wants to come here? Any hope we were starting to feel, left with Woodward. Unless they resign (and she won't), nothing going to change.
greg.w.h
AG
Out of 20 roster spots:

14 combination of underclassmen: freshmen (7), RS freshmen (1), and sophomores (6)
3 juniors
1 senior

I'm on the fence about "what to do", but I think framing it in terms of experience is helpful. Losing to Texas in the elimination game at their park wasn't a positive, but the were highly ranked coming in, so probably not surprising. Losing a second one to Houston was more annoying.

I think the situation with the interim AD likely ensures another year which the consecutive trips to the NCAAs also lean towards. I do agree Jo needs to show something with this class. And she currently has pitching to shore up.

The good news is Softball is worse than Basketball for one player being make or break: pitcher because underhand-even fast pitch-causes less stress on the shoulder. But the bad news is other teams can do that, too.

Transfers are more frequent in every sport, so blaming coaches or holding them accountable with incomplete knowledge of what "really" happened is not likely to slow down transfers.

But it seems there is more room as the team matures for leadership to emerge from the players. That can take shape many ways, but it also needs to show up in preparation and practice.
NorCal
What a classless move. Email addresses are readily available if you choose not to hide behind your anonymous username.
powerbelly
AG
fieldtrailer said:

How can this school find a new softball coach if they can't find an AD who wants to come here? Any hope we were starting to feel, left with Woodward. Unless they resign (and she won't), nothing going to change.

Jesus Christ this is pathetic.
BrandoC
AG
Let's be honest, young team or not we just do not have any high quality recruits on this team anymore. We also need a new conditioning and nutrition coach because our girls do not look athletic compared to all these other schools in the regionals right now. With this said, Jo needs to go but sadly it will not happen.
annie88
AG
It's really where we are as a country? Any time something doesn't go exactly our way we ***** and moan and throw tantrums. Wow.
LatinAggie1997
AG
1. I know many of the girls on the team and many do not look in shape.
2. Why don't we have a "true" pitching coach? Go get A&M legend M. Gibson Loftin from UH...whom happened to also be an absolute beast at the plate.
3. I like coach Jo so whatever is decided I'm thankful for her time in Aggieland. If she is replaced we should try to get Glasco, Alameda, or Vesely. (2 of these shouldn't be a reach, 1 would be difficult).

Captain Pablo
AG
OP finished the post, forcefully punched that last character ....

And then leaned back in his chair, smiled, clasped his hands behind his head, and gazed in admiration at the masterpiece of a post he had just built ....

And after 30 or so seconds of proudly reflecting on what he had just compiled, reached toward the keyboard and ... his finger lashed the "post" button .... the sound of the single keyboard "POP!!!" raced up the stairs of his mothers basement, and filled the residence

Proofreading his masterpiece, then silently logging off, proudly awaiting the adoration and cyber lift to the shoulders of the approving TexAgs masses

He'd been the object of mockery and scorn before...

But today would be different

Captain Pablo
AG
ddp
Jim Benson 63
AG
1. OP sounds like a wannabe life coach/psychologist.

2. RC is not going to fire anybody.
"You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing."

"Wars don't determine who is right, they only determine who is left."
AgDad77
AG
No comment on the OP.

If Woodward stayed she was gone.

Changes have been made but the the real problem as of now will remain and that's Jo.

We might get very lucky in who we might possibly see come in.

Depending on what we see as far as possible transfers this summer she still might not survive to next season and shouldn't.

We are a poorly coached team lacking in the very basics of the game. I will give Dill credit though - she has held this staff together for the most part and isn't a part of the problem - IMO.

When our current hitting coach was hired nobody wanted to come work for Jo - the way the staff was set up didn't help the issue either so we got what we got.

Stein was put into an impossible situation and was set up for failure from day one with his very limited background - that is on Jo and nobody else - the SEC is just a brutal league.

Let's just put it this way - IMO - We have a box that's nicely decorated but on the inside of the box is a pile of disfunction.

AggieBand2004
AG
fieldtrailer said:

I restarted a reply to this post three different times, each time trying to find something good to say about it. A silver lining without being TOO mean.
It's not possible.
Captain Pablo
AG
We can't find an AD because of the dick weed running the University
AgDad77
AG
Now Capt that was a good one!!
Tex100
AG
Captain Pablo said:

And then leaned back in his chair, smiled, clasped his hands behind his head, and gazed in admiration at the masterpiece of a post he had just built ....

And after 30 or so seconds of proudly reflecting on what he had just compiled, reached toward the keyboard and ... his finger lashed the "post" button .... the sound of the single keyboard "POP!!!" raced up the stairs of his mothers basement, and filled the residence

Proofreading his masterpiece, then silently logging off, proudly awaiting the adoration and cyber lift to the shoulders of the approving TexAgs masses

Never been an "Open letter..." fan but you guys are flagged 15 yards for piling on.
Gap
AG
Dear Coach Evans,
I understand you have been spending time looking for and reading open letters on the internet. I urge you to stop wasting your time doing that. Instead, please use that time to go find an ace pitcher who can play for us next Spring.

Best regards,
Gap
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

One of the reasons Woodard came here is because he worked with a Young at UW
powerbelly
AG
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

I think he is referring to the other dick weed
ParkerAg
AG
Whole thread is pathetic.
Captain Pablo
AG
Tex100 said:

Captain Pablo said:

Never been an "Open letter..." fan but you guys are flagged 15 yards for piling on.

We're sorry
monarch
S
You lack class OP...
Peace for Ukraine!
Captain Pablo
AG
95_Aggie said:

Quote:

Not talking about Young
Houstonag
AG
Bottom line. We are not getting the job done.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I'm just giving the OP a hard time, but I've never understood the "retire because it's the right thing to do" idea. It came up often with Billy Kennedy as well. Not everyone gets the "lifetime setup" job from the AD, so why would you give up money you're contractually obligated to receive just to make life easier for the employer who is firing you?

If you have a problem with a coach hanging around too long, it seems more realistic that you'd have a problem with the decision makers that originally offered them their current contract or refuses to act on terminating their employment.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.