+++++Aggies @ Ole Miss-Thursday+++++

106,859 Views | 1141 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Blaming Rob is rediculois. Don't make the E throw to third on two occasions and we probably win 3-1.
Hammer20
I usually agree with most all of Rob's pitching decisions. I personally would have made a change this time. Funny thing about baseball, if the ground ball is 10 ft more left it's a game ending double play.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I thought one of those righties was a switch hitter. One of those guys in the middle of the order batted both ways last night. Am I confusing him with someone else?
Corporal Punishment
AG
jhillin20 said:

if the ground ball is 10 ft more left it's a game ending double play.

Also...

If Blaum's flip to Shew is safely barehanded and controlled at 2nd base that's out number two and we're an out away from getting the win.

Last night was truly a game of inches. Other agonizingly close plays:

Dox walking a lead off batter on full count on one of those late innings was 50-50 ball or strike. Looked like it could've easily been called a strike on the outside corner. Call went the Rebs' way. Walk ended up coming around to score.

Hoehner never throws that errant ball to third with two outs if it rolls away from him another two feet. That happened with two outs and we ended up retiring that batter a few pitches later IIRC.

Shewmake backing up the throw (very heads up by the way) easily gloves it except for the slippery turf. Again, that saves a run.

Our 4th run was safe by a matter of an inch or two at home. If the call goes the other way I doubt it gets overturned.

There was a single through the left side that deflected off Shew's glove on its way to left, redirecting it just enough to allow the batter to turn it into a double. Can't remember if that guy scored.

There were a few others besides these. Truly a game of inches. Tough to stomach but not worth bicching about.
_mpaul
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Tough to stomach but not worth bicching about.
Not worth *****ing about because we're used to it and to a certain extent have come to expect it. We have the second worst fielding percentage in the league at .964. We clinch up in critical situations.
twk
AG
caleblyn said:

Blaming Rob is rediculois. Don't make the E throw to third on two occasions and we probably win 3-1.
I'm second guessing Rob's pitching decisions last night, but however debatable those decisions are, the errors were a much bigger cause of the loss.

Dox was not wild, but gave up five walks. That's on the umpire. Although he was pretty consistent, Dox doesn't walk five guys with your average SEC strike zone in place last night. I hear announcers say, all I want is consistency; BS. A consistently small strike zone favors the hitters.

Of course, we got the benefit of the small strike zone (for the most part) when we were at bat, but didn't do enough with it. We should have put up more than 3 runs on Etheredge, but that's just what we are, offensively.

The only good news out of last night is that Caracci threw over 50 pitches and should be unavailable today, and perhaps a little limited on Saturday. Let's hope we don't let them get a late inning lead where they have a decision to make.
technoviking
AG

jhillin20 said:

if the ground ball is 10 ft more left it's a game ending double play.

Also...

If Blaum's flip to Shew is safely barehanded and controlled at 2nd base that's out number two and we're an out away from getting the win.

Last night was truly a game of inches. Other agonizingly close plays:

Dox walking a lead off batter on full count on one of those late innings was 50-50 ball or strike. Looked like it could've easily been called a strike on the outside corner. Call went the Rebs' way. Walk ended up coming around to score.

Hoehner never throws that errant ball to third with two outs if it rolls away from him another two feet. That happened with two outs and we ended up retiring that batter a few pitches later IIRC.

Shewmake backing up the throw (very heads up by the way) easily gloves it except for the slippery turf. Again, that saves a run.

Our 4th run was safe by a matter of an inch or two at home. If the call goes the other way I doubt it gets overturned.

There was a single through the left side that deflected off Shew's glove on its way to left, redirecting it just enough to allow the batter to turn it into a double. Can't remember if that guy scored.

There were a few others besides these. Truly a game of inches. Tough to stomach but not worth bicching about.

Great post

Unless Rob wins every baseball game and national titles from here on out, calls for his ouster will be shout from the rooftops by message board warriors from now on. Only death and taxes are more certain.
greg.w.h
AG
A good game got away from us. We have two more to win still!!!
Hop
Staff
AG

I thought one of those righties was a switch hitter. One of those guys in the middle of the order batted both ways last night. Am I confusing him with someone else?

The guy who got the game winning hit is who you are thinking of. I'm talking about the top of the lineup. Menefee walked the lead-off hitter in the 9 hole. Then you had righty Okenek (.365) and the righty Kessinger (.345) in the 2-hole.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
Hop
Staff
AG
caleblyn said:

Childress didn't lose the game, but he also didn't play the proper percentages and made some tactical mistakes in that 11th inning that contributed to the entire episode. Baseball is definitely a game of inches and luck at times which is why you don't blame coaches for the results. However, it's fair to be critical of a manager who makes a significant tactical mistake. A&M had a better chance of winning that game if Miller was brought in to face Olenek and Kessinger.
Rest in by peace, Stemp
dermdoc
AG
Hop said:

The guy who got the game winning hit is who you are thinking of. I'm talking about the top of the lineup. Menefee walked the lead-off hitter in the 9 hole. Then you had righty Okenek (.365) and the righty Kessinger (.345) in the 2-hole.
Actually Moo struck out the number nine guy Glind to start the 11th, who had been put in as a pinch runner before. Then Olenick got a hit, Kessinger hit the ball that Blaum almost made an incredible play on(both righties)and Moo walked the lefty three hole. That was when I would have brought in Miller to face Dillard, a righty. You could argue bringing in Miller after the opening K due to righty lefty matchups, but Moo had looked pretty dominant to that point so I do not have a problem with leaving him in until the Dillard at bat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
I might add that was a very bizarre ballgame with all the errors, walks, almost home runs, play at the plate, etc. And I am going to forget about it now.

BTHO Ole Piss!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
caleblyn
Quote:

A&M had a better chance of winning that game if Miller was brought in to face Olenek and Kessinger.

derm made the correct response...Moo looked good. The decision to keep him in was fine. Switching to go with Miller against Dillard makes better sense when doing this hindsight assessment.
caleblyn
caleblyn said:

Quote:

A&M had a better chance of winning that game if Miller was brought in to face Olenek and Kessinger.

derm made the correct response...Moo looked good. The decision to keep him in was fine. Switching to go with Miller against Dillard makes better sense when doing this hindsight assessment. However, the two plays at 3rd is what messed everything up!
caleblyn
caleblyn said:

caleblyn said:

Quote:

derm made the correct response...Moo looked good. The decision to keep him in was fine. Switching to go with Miller against Dillard makes better sense when doing this hindsight assessment. However, the two plays at 3rd is what messed everything up!
greg.w.h
AG
I think the issue with Thursday/Friday extra innings is you really need to preserve fresh pitching if you can.
And we were also the traveling team and playing under odd conditions at their place.

Just like you'd tell a pitcher to not overthink it, the key to winning the series isn't what went wrong in that game. We got this!!!
Agsuffering@bulaw
The 8th inning felt like the kick in the nuts. Dox had thrown approx 110 pitches.

I understand letting him face #3, a LHB. I don't understand letting him face the right-handed #4 at 115 pitches with a good RHP closer available. #5 was also a RHB.

I could accept the decision if it were only the 6th inning, if Dox had not thrown so many pitches, if we did not have enough decent RPs...Childress waited too long to go to the pen.
Houstonag
AG
No matter what a coach must make decisions to win the current game. Following games are independent. Make those decisions later.
aggiepaintrain
AG
you play to win THIS game not the NEXT one, so many times this has happened.

Aggie09Derek
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Baseball expert
Hop
Staff
AG
caleblyn said:

Quote:

derm made the correct response...Moo looked good. The decision to keep him in was fine. Switching to go with Miller against Dillard makes better sense when doing this hindsight assessment.

Menefee was getting outs in the lower half of the order in the 10th, but even Peterson was mentioning it on air that Menefee could not throw a breaking pitch close to the zone. He was burying it in the dirt. So immediately when the lineup flips back to the top and there are two righties hitting in the .340 - .365 range, I thought going to Miller was the right call at the time. Those hitters knew to sit on fastballs and for those righties it was easy pickins'. Sure, go to MIler with Dillard is fine, but by that time you already put yourself in a huge bind. Plus, Dillard was a switch hitter and is better from the left side. The time to go with MIller was to face Olenek, IMO. Just like the right move in the 8th was to pull Doxakis after walking Keenan to start the frame (confused that with the situation in the 11th). Interesting that in both cases it was with Dillard and CHildress was afraid to go with the righty so he could keep Dillard swinging from the right side. IMO, he overthought the situation. I;d rather move DIllard around to the left side and face a fresh Kalich whom he had never seen versus sticking with Dox at 111 pitches who he'd seen three times already.
dermdoc
AG
I did not realize Dillard was a switch hitter so makes sense. Let's get these guys tonight!
dermdoc
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Thank you Inspector cliche'. I think it is more than fair to question someone's decision but not their will to win that game at that time. Love the passion though, BTHO Ole Piss!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.