+++++Aggies @ Ole Miss-Thursday+++++

106,893 Views | 1141 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dermdoc
dixichkn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
evanpd16 said:

This shouldn't even be on Childress we should've f$!&ing won if mikey didn't throw the ball 10 feet away from third base
And then made a fantastic play to get the lead right back. No, this is on our staff not throwing strikes and then getting hung out to dry
aginlakeway
AG
Come back and win the series. No harm if we do that.

old yeller
AG
TempleAg97 said:

Big time head scratcher leaving Moo in and having Miller watch from the bullpen. Absolutely terrible!

Yup
CampingAg
AG
If Shew would've caught that flip from Mikey.
CapCityAg89
AG
burtonsnow said:

Killing our chances of a national seed giving away games.

And yet we're IN a position for a national seed.

So much outrage.
_mpaul
AG
Absolutely pathetic.
Lance Uppercut
AG
3 earned in 11 at that.
annie88
AG
Well that ending was pure poop.
Ag 11
AG
Goddammit, I'm pissed. Way too many stupid mistakes. Better get our **** together for game 2
Average Joe
AG
aginlakeway said:

Average Joe said:

Why the hell is Childress gathering everyone up? An apology for, once again, mismanaging the pitching?

He's actually done a good job handling the pitching this year. It's one game. No need to kill yourself.
One game? This is the Childress special. I can't count the number of times he's pulled pitchers when they were hot and left struggling pitchers in for way too long. I'm frustrated because it's this same ****ty coaching that has us at only 2 trips to Omaha with 0 wins in the most talent rich state in the country.

I would be ok if it was just one game, but this is same **** different day.
dermdoc
AG
Can not make three errors on the road in the SEC and win
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Well....free Whataburger for whoever's in the car by the time I get there
trouble
AG
CypressAg09 said:

I'm not super happy with the pitching decisions at the end, but if Hoehner doesn't throw it away and Kalich just takes the free out, it never gets to that point. The players have to make plays.

Yup
Fat Black Swan
AG
dermdoc said:

That was what did it.
Ag 11
AG
I need a freakin beer. Work tomorrow's gonna suck
Aggie09Derek
AG
dermdoc said:

This.

The Mob mentality on RC on the premium thread and some on this thread is ridiculous.
Average Joe
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

dermdoc said:

That was what did it.
Yes, but we can also limit the damage an error does if we don't bring a pitcher with 105 pitches back into the game to allow two runners on with no outs.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Average Joe said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

dermdoc said:

That was what did it.
Yes, but we can also limit the damage an error does if we don't bring a pitcher with 105 pitches back into the game to allow two runners on with no outs.
105 doesn't mean Doxakis is done in a game in late April.
aggietony2010
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

My guess is he was thinking long term.

Doxakis wasn't past his peak, he was dealing and within a reasonable pitch count.

Moo came out and got a quick out. 2 more and no one thinks twice.

But agreed on leaving him out there. I'm thinking they got greedy thinking long term and how many innings Miller was going to be used in Game 3.

That's just poor thinking on Childress's part. The 2 outs we needed from Miller tonight were way more valuable than any hypothetical extra inning or two he'd throw on Sunday. Maybe a high leverage situation comes up then, but the leverage wasn't getting any higher than tonight.

Granted, we shouldn't have needed extras. But it's fair to criticize Childress harshly in this situation. It's his job to handle the situations as they come, and pulling Menefee was a no-brainer.

I have absolutely no problems with the Dox decision.

(I know you're not depending his decision, just your post contained relevant info to reply to. Thanks for the play-by-play)
Average Joe
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

Average Joe said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

dermdoc said:

That was what did it.
I could agree if he was coming back out in the 9th, or he was used to throwing 120 pitches. He had a long string of barely making the 6th and he was getting deep in a majority of counts this game.
ordRV80
AG
Not a Rob hater, but that sucked and is on him.

And don't bring BS about players making plays.

Both teams had their share of crap. But after all that, you are in position to win a game where you didn't play well.

THAT is what completely sucks. At that point the coach makes a bonehead decision that literally EVERYBODY watching would not have made.

Bring in Miller. He is nasty. You win the game. Or at least have a better chance.

Very frustrated.
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
Lance Uppercut
AG
Average Joe said:

Lance Uppercut said:

Average Joe said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

dermdoc said:

That was what did it.
I could agree if he was coming back out in the 9th, or he was used to throwing 120 pitches. He had a long string of barely making the 6th and he was getting deep in a majority of counts this game.
In the prior inning, he popped a guy up on the third pitch....first pitch single....then struck out his last 2 batters on 4 pitch ABs
dermdoc
AG
And how many walks did we give up? Not sure why Rob stayed with Moo but trust me, he wants to win more than I do. We play clean ball and we win. The good news is that we burned their closer tonight.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggie09Derek
AG
dermdoc said:

And how many walks did we give up? Not sure why Rob stayed with Moo but trust me, he wants to win more than I do. We play clean ball and we win. The good news is that we burned their closer tonight.

Blue star.

People on premium are ready to burn RC alive
aggietony2010
AG
dermdoc said:

It would've been better to burn their closer and win, but alas. I like Rob for the most part. I just wish he'd think a little more modernly with his bullpen. Hell even a traditionalist would've pulled Moo tonight. Just a strange strange decision.
Aggie09Derek
AG
And if he had put Miller in and he walks the first guy and gives up a homer to the next guy?

Everyone would be screaming that he should have pulled him right away. So damn tough with these calls and RC is a pitching guru and I'm sure he had his reasons. Didn't work out this time but maybe 80% of the time it does.
Average Joe
AG
dermdoc said:

We can limit the damage of errors by not keeping pitchers in too long to put free runners on the base.
aggietony2010
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

And if he had put Miller in and he walks the first guy and gives up a homer to the next guy?

Everyone would be screaming that he should have pulled him right away. So damn tough with these calls and RC is a pitching guru and I'm sure he had his reasons. Didn't work out this time but maybe 80% of the time it does.

Then he burned 10 pitches that were not going to be as valuable at any point as they would be tonight. I don't think it's a reason to fire Rob. I do think it was a poor decision, especially considering the lineup being faced.
Amazing Moves
Pissed a great performance by Dox away. Took the lead back and pissed it away again.

Terrible. Momentum killer.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
3 errors
Closer blows save
The end.
Hop
Staff
AG
Posters seem to support the extremes of "fire Childress now" to "well, it's baseball. It didn't work out. Move on. Can't blame Childress."

I agree that the premium posters frothing at the mouth over this game and wanting Rob's head is over the top, but the tactical decisions by Childress in this game was head scratching and illogical. It's also strange because Rob historically has been a religious lefty-lefty, righty-righty match-up guy yet he left Menefee out there to face back to back righty hitter Olenek (.365) and Kessinger (.345).

It was a pretty bad managerial mistake. Doesn't mean he should be fired, but it was a critical strategic error during a very important game.

technoviking
AG
TexasAggie81
Just another game that shows we can't close games out. Pitiful. Had 'em by the balls, and we did squeeze hard enough. THAT was a huge loss. Very Aggie-like.
Chester
old yeller said:

TempleAg97 said:

Big time head scratcher leaving Moo in and having Miller watch from the bullpen. Absolutely terrible!

Yup
Leave the coaching to Childress and just watch the game.
Monywolf
Hop said:

Posters seem to support the extremes of "fire Childress now" to "well, it's baseball. It didn't work out. Move on. Can't blame Childress."

I agree that the premium posters frothing at the mouth over this game and wanting Rob's head is over the top, but the tactical decisions by Childress in this game was head scratching and illogical. It's also strange because Rob historically has been a religious lefty-lefty, righty-righty match-up guy yet he left Menefee out there to face back to back righty hitter Olenek (.365) and Kessinger (.345).

It was a pretty bad managerial mistake. Doesn't mean he should be fired, but it was a critical strategic error during a very important game.

This game is ridiculously easy to coach. In hindsight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.