Anyone Else Have Problems with Video Quality of Streaming?

1,341 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by kcag90
Sgt. Schultz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

I have a very jumpy feed when watching Aggie baseball on the ESPN app on my 4K TV. The jumpy feed only seems to be an issue with SEC+ games on the ESPN app. The picture is sharp but the video is jumpy/choppy. I can watch any other game on the ESPN app, MLB network, NFL network, etc.... and the feed is fine and is good quality. Its only SEC+ games on the ESPN app that suck.

Any solutions? We have cable internet and have sufficient speeds.
greg.w.h
AG
Could research it. I'm not a fan of smartTVs because of issues like this. The stickies thread mentions devices like Roku and AppleTV that offer stable streaming and can be separately upgraded from the TV. Most TVs don't include as much memory or as good of processors in my limited experience and the apps often are not upgraded. Exception is later TVs with Roku like TCL which upgrade apps like an actual Roku from what I understand.

Can you stream on a computer and/or phone/tablet successfully or same issues??
kcag90
AG
I use Apple TV and have no issues at all.
KaneIsAble
AG
I have the same problems. Have a year old Sony 4K and when I stream Aggie games is gets insanely choppy. Watching on my phone is perfect but as soon as I connect it's screwed. No problems at all with Netflix, HBOgo, etc, just the ESPN app.

I'm going to buy a Chromecast and see if that foxes it.
ParkerAg
AG
Have used Roku for a couple of years now, $99 and no monthly fees. It did away with all the jumps and buffers, makes watching seemless.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
My complaint with Aggie home broadcast is the lack of technical ability by our people.

ie who ever is running the audio mixer has one persons audio higher than the other. Will Johnson goes to his "real radio announcer voice" gets really loud. Then when Mark Johnson has something to say, he either has his mic too far from his mouth or his audio needs to be turned up.

When Glenndenning is doing the play by play, you can hear him either moving the mic around or something that makes a noise.

They need to hire one more person to work the audio board or train an intern.

It is really a sloppy product.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
greg.w.h
AG
pepe the dog said:

My complaint with Aggie home broadcast is the lack of technical ability by our people.

ie who ever is running the audio mixer has one persons audio higher than the other. Will Johnson goes to his "real radio announcer voice" gets really loud. Then when Mark Johnson has something to say, he either has his mic too far from his mouth or his audio needs to be turned up.

When Glenndenning is doing the play by play, you can hear him either moving the mic around or something that makes a noise.

They need to hire one more person to work the audio board or train an intern.

It is really a sloppy product.

We use students, I believe, who in effect are learning on the job. I do wish they'd eat their own dog food and listen to it the way we hear it.
SchizoAg
AG
greg.w.h said:

We use students, I believe, who in effect are learning on the job. I do wish they'd eat their own dog food and listen to it the way we hear it.
Yeah, they need to have one person watching/listening to the final feed, just before it goes out for broadcast. Seems obvious, but whatever.
Leander - Ag
AG
Get a Apple TV
MaroonStain
AG
I recently got a LG 4k 43" and a cheap one. I either turned off or minimized the enhancements and able to stream without hiccups. I also have straight Cat to the PS4.

Hope this helps.
farmrag
My daughter had problems when she used her Roku. The problems were only with ESPN, everything else worked fine. I told her to try the smartcast on her TV it worked so she uses smartcast for ESPN now. Sometimes you just have to work around problems.
penn02
AG
We have a sharp tv with Roku. I subscribe to sling tv and have no problems streaming the games. Every once in a while it will have a hiccup but 98% of the time it works great.
greg.w.h
AG
Another oddball thoughtand I specifically do NOT recommend this for pre-4K AppleTVsis to use a hardwire instead of wi-fi if you have a RJ-45 connector on the device. It can clear up wi-fi based streaming hitches.

Why not on AppleTV for pre-4K? It doesn't work well at all. Not exactly sure why, but they were still using a 10/100 MBit/sec Ethernet chip, too. They upgraded to Gigabit with the 4K.
Sgt. Schultz
AG
KaneIsAble said:

I have the same problems. Have a year old Sony 4K and when I stream Aggie games is gets insanely choppy. Watching on my phone is perfect but as soon as I connect it's screwed. No problems at all with Netflix, HBOgo, etc, just the ESPN app.

I'm going to buy a Chromecast and see if that foxes it.
Mine is a Sony 4K as well. The choppiness on mine is just anything involved with the SEC platform. That is the maddening thing. I checked the feed and watched other games, no issues at all. But watch UGA vs Tenn, etc.... and it was choppy.
Chester
I have had very few problems using Apple TV.
kcag90
AG
greg.w.h said:

Another oddball thoughtand I specifically do NOT recommend this for pre-4K AppleTVsis to use a hardwire instead of wi-fi if you have a RJ-45 connector on the device. It can clear up wi-fi based streaming hitches.

Why not on AppleTV for pre-4K? It doesn't work well at all. Not exactly sure why, but they were still using a 10/100 MBit/sec Ethernet chip, too. They upgraded to Gigabit with the 4K.

I have two 4th gen Apple TVs (pre 4K) and I use WiFi and do not have issues ever. Works perfectly and I watch pretty much all of the games.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.