Aggie softball

3,806 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
APHIS AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Run ruled, this time Mizzou did the honors 8-0. Current 5 game losing streak and 3-14 in conference.
85AustinAg
AG
It will be interesting to see how an interim AD handles this.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
I doubt Evans is going anywhere
Turf96
I hope Evans goes and finds a pitcher.
docb
AG
My niece was all greater Houston district MVP as a pitcher last year. She's a freshman on campus right now. I think she would have been a great asset.
SeenNotHeard
AG
Tell her to reach out to Coach! Is she at A&M?
hillcountryag86
AG
Was she recruited by A&M or did she have interest in playing beyond HS?
sharpdressedman
Turf96 said:

I hope Evans goes and finds a pitcher.
Recruiting is tough for someone who has had multiple quality players transfer and is perceived by many to be "a dead coach walking," unless the prospect wants to be an Aggie for reasons other than winning softball games.
W
AG
Evans has Rasputin-like qualities.

I believe she's survived 4 athletic directors now. R.C. will be her 5th.

that's almost unheard of in modern college athletics
APHIS AG
Swept by Mizzou 4-0.
gigum
AG
Final 4-0 Missouri "sweep"
Captn_Ag05
AG
With being swept by unranked Missouri, I think that will about do it for the Ags slim postseason hopes.
docb
AG
She was recruited by A and M and was told by the staff they wanted her to play. I think there was a pretty good lack of communication by the staff and they didn't want to offer a scholarship. She would have gone if there was some sort of scholarship but she was not going to walk on. Her dad pitched for A and M in the late 80s so it's not like they don't understand the process. She's a tall athletic girl and was probably only going to get better. She was a younger high school graduate and really developed later in high school. Unfortunately I think they burn a lot of scholarships too early on a lot of the high school players. I doubt she would be interested in playing at this point as she is a really good student and focused on school. It sure looks to me like they could have used her.
hillcountryag86
AG
All the best to her.
Stone44
AG
W said:

Evans has Rasputin-like qualities.

I believe she's survived 4 athletic directors now. R.C. will be her 5th.

that's almost unheard of in modern college athletics.
Agreed. Still with the investment in softball and the pitiful results this season, she needs to go. She has had years to prove herself and has little to show for it when you consider the potential we have here. RC could make a great hire before he goes. This is an extremely attractive job with no ceiling.
mullokmotx
AG
bookmyer, did your niece play travel ball? Soccer and softball seem to be sports where almost all players commit by their sophomore year because college coaches see players on the club teams and start recruiting when players are in the 7th grade. If a player doesn't play on a club team I wonder if they even can get recruited. Jo probably has her class of 2021 already committed and scholarship money allocated. There are 13 or 14 scholarships available and Jo will have maybe 25 players next year since only 1 is certain to leave and 5 or 6 have already signed.
docb
AG
She did play travel. She is a freshman at A and M right now so she would have been in this years class. Your right about the scholarships being offered really early to these girls. My niece was always a good player but just a tall skinny kid early on. Just took her a while to fill out. Again she has one of those late birthdays. Really developed into a dominant pitcher and took her high school team all the way to the state championship last year.

I'm sure most programs are trying to jump on these kids way too early and not just A and M. That's the reason I think you see some really good players end up at smaller schools. My niece certainly had offeres and could have played at a smaller school if she wanted to. But she opted to be a student at A and M as most of the family are Aggies.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Hate to say it, but Jo needs to pack her bags.
SchizoAg
AG
Hate to say it, but Jo gets a reprieve. R.C. is not going to fire her, and neither is a newly-hired AD.
sharpdressedman
SchizoAg said:

Hate to say it, but Jo gets a reprieve. R.C. is not going to fire her, and neither is a newly-hired AD.
I believe either of them will fire her if magic happens and the right coach is available and willing to take the job.
greg.w.h
AG
Woodward set the expectation that making post-season play is the basic, minimum bar going forward. And suggested that then progress past that was required. I don't think the next AD, or even RC, is likely to lower that bar. But she likely will get another season just due to timing short of Woodward leaving names in envelopes for immediate coaching changes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.