2019 & Beyond Texas AGGIE Softball Discussion

27,192 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDad0323
BrokenLFarms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
@Captn_Ag05 had a wonderful suggestion of the staff to rename the thread I started earlier this season titled:
"AGGIE Softball vs Auburn - Run Ruled in 1/2 Inning"
The thread had taken on a more more "General 2019 Season +" theme vs what the game specific title implied.

IF the staff renames it as requested by @Captn_Ag05...Wonderful!
If not I decided to start this one to carry on.

Subjects from the original thread include:
-2019 Season: How it Ends - Making the Post Season
-Future of Jo Evans at A&M
-Possible HC Replacements
-Possible implications of a coaching change as a result of Woodward taking his flat bottom boat to BR

As of 4-19-19
AGGIE Softball is 3-13 in conf play; 25-19 overall - Tied for last place with Miss State.

Remaining Schedule:

4/19 - @Mizzu - 6:30 on ESPN+
4/20 - @Mizzu
4/24 - DH vs Incarnate Word
4/27 - Arky
4/28 - Arky
4/29 - Arky
5/3 - @Tenn
5/4 - @Tenn
5/5 - @Tenn

5/8-11 - SEC Tourney - Davis Diamond
BrokenLFarms
S
AGGIES lost game 2 in run rule fashion 8-0. (Series win for Mizzu)
2 costly errors...walks...0 offense (4 hits all singles)

In other news LSU lost game 2 (and the series now) vs Arky 11-1.
Ole Miss beat MSU 21-0 in game one...Lost game two 6-0
Bama beat Florida 3-1 in game one...game two just starting

Captn_Ag05
AG
Watched the first few innings. The team is definitely lacking talent but is also clearly poorly coached. Hard to watch.
bub90
AG
Hard to see a change being made now with the departure of SW. I doubt R.C. would touch this especially in an interim capacity.

If a change were made, maybe the Ole Miss coach should get a look considering the turnaround they have made.
cheeky
AG
I wish staff would change the title of this board to Texas A&M Baseball. Softball deserves its own board.

[NOT MY CALL, BUT THERE ARE THREADS ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS BOARD THAT HAVE NOT HAD A POST IN ALMOST A WEEK. I DOUBT THAT THE BOARDS WILL BE SPLIT IN TWO WITH THE LIMITED ACTIVITY IN THE HEART OF THE SEASON FOR BOTH SPORTS. -STAFF]
powerbelly
AG
Stagecoach said:

I wish staff would change the title of this board to Texas A&M Baseball. Softball deserves its own board.
Hand Of God
AG
Jo shouldn't be having this much trouble.

She's got...
The best softball conference in the country.
Top of the line facilities matching anyone, anywhere.
A talent-rich state for the sport.
A consistently large, supportive fanbase.

Which has led us to...
A mass exodus of talented players.
An inability to recruit a dominant pitcher for years.
A last place record in the SEC.

Things have just gone south really quick. From the WCWS, to a Super Regional, followed by last place in the conference and missing the tournament. I'd say next year should be her last shot to pull it back together.
Stone44
AG
Why waste another year?
Hand Of God
AG
Because a WCWS appearance followed by a very narrow Super Regional defeat and then one pretty bad season just simply isn't grounds to lose your job. If next year looks the same (which it probably will), then I'd say it would be fair to replace her. But I think Jo's record at A&M has earned her the opportunity to try to prove that she still deserves the position.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Did you just honestly say Just pretty bad.... Out conference record is just pretty Bad?? You must be joking right?
Hand Of God
AG
Keep in mind that all 13 SEC softball teams made the NCAA tournament just a couple years ago. That included 6 teams with losing conference records and a last place team who only won 6. So, yes, last place in the conference looks terrible on paper but in the SEC that could still land you in the NCAAs. The team currently has an overall winning record and a RPI in the 40s. It's really not as bad as it looks.
farmer1
AG
HaHa
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Yes it is as bad as it looks. Calling Anything about this season pretty or down playing how poorly coached this team looks, is simply making excuses...

Our state is in the top three in the country for recruiting softball players... to only have three wins at this point is beyond ridiculous wouldn't you say?

Can anyone Give me one bright spot from this year?
farmer1
AG
It is awful
Hand Of God
AG
Two of our wins were against top 10 teams.
HiddenAg2
Evans is on pace for the worst softball season in over 40 years and will most likely miss the NCAA tournament. There is a clear trend of decline in the program now. I think she was about to be replaced but got a huge break when Woodward left. She will get at least 2020 to turn things around, but the goal for A&M should be to win national titles in softball, not just make Regionals and Super Regionals. There really are no excuses left with the new facility.
BrokenLFarms
S
TxA&Mhunter said:

Yes it is as bad as it looks. Calling Anything about this season pretty or down playing how poorly coached this team looks, is simply making excuses...

Our state is in the top three in the country for recruiting softball players... to only have three wins at this point is beyond ridiculous wouldn't you say?

Can anyone Give me one bright spot from this year?
The only two bright spots are come back Sunday wins vs LSU and Bama. I emphasize Sunday because in each of those two series the 2 games prior were not pretty. Meaning the team could have easily NOT shown up on Sunday...but they hung in there, didn't quit and grabbed 2 wins that I know both Beth and Pat want back right now.

The SEC as a whole is down this year. 2019 is OU - UCLA...then everyone else. The SEC should get 2 teams to OKC if the brackets fall correctly (LSU and Bama). Tennessee, Florida...a toss up.
This is not an excuse for Coach Evans...just facts.
What will become an issue in regard to recruiting is the team in Austin. Mike White's tenure was jump started by the 4 player swing from Oregon to Texas. The series in Austin this weekend vs OU was a great one. Not so much in regard to the results for Texas as they were swept. However the games were close, exciting...over flowing crowd...All things that accelerate the momentum in the Mike White era.
Rambotx
Looks like we could have used these players this year:

Current 2019 Stats:

1. Samantha Show (OK State):

Batting Ave.: 333
RBIs: 41
HR: 13
SB: 02

Pitching Record: 14-5
ERA: 2.24
SOs: 83

2. Keeli Milligan (Ragin Cajuns):

Batting Ave.: 348
RBIs: 15
SBs: 54

3. Sarah Hudek (Ragin Cajuns):

Batting Ave.: 364
RBIs: 35
HR: 10
SBs: 09
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Two games of grit is unfortuabtly not a trend or a pattern... hoenstly it should be expected and required not a bright spot.

No one has asked or has been able to answer the question of why is our talent level appear to be subpar compared to others in our state and our conference?
Forget about pitching for a moment, and look at every position but it and evaluate what you see on our team cs others. What do you see?
Wicked Good Ag
TxA&Mhunter said:

Two games of grit is unfortuabtly not a trend or a pattern... hoenstly it should be expected and required not a bright spot.

No one has asked or has been able to answer the question of why is our talent level appear to be subpar compared to others in our state and our conference?
Forget about pitching for a moment, and look at every position but it and evaluate what you see on our team cs others. What do you see?

You had one of the best offensive recruiting classes we have ever had graduate and most all other key players left the program for various reasons to various other programs

As for the softball program under Evans we will need a dominant pitcher along with a nice solid recruiting offensive class to fill in some gaps. She gets this year and if no real improvement is made after the 2020 season could be very interesting.
Belton Ag
AG
Gonads23 said:

Why waste another year?
Because it would be downright stupid to fire Evans without some kind of long term plan in place for the program, and that is going to require a permanent AD.

The next softball hire needs to be on the level that Jimbo Fisher was to Football, and I'm not sure an interim AD and a school president who has one foot out the door are going to be able to pull that off.

coloradoag69
AG
Unless there is a current in the AD to replace Evans that hasn't surfaced publicly, I don't see how RC is going to replace her after this season. And unless SW lined up her replacement prior to his announcement, I don't expect her to be fired now.

I'm also in the camp of giving her another season. Folks have discussed her past record, which is very good especially considering that up until this season her facilities were a dump. They barely got the new ballpark last season, so she this is the first year she has been able to recruit with those in place. I will accept that the SEC may be somewhat down this season, but it has historically been at the top regarding the whole league. It's an extremely tough competitive environment - IMO, harder than baseball.

I don't know the inside about what went on with the transfers, that really wrecked the potential team this season. I do know that Show wasn't pitching well and Milligan was batting at the Mendosa line when they were benched last season. If it's on the coaches, then that has to be considered. If you just ran into an immature group of young ladies who all happened to show up at once, then your judgement becomes more lenient.

A final consideration is that of athletic department money, which I don't know in detail. Keep in mind is that Blair and Henry are both in their 70s, so the new AD would have to have replacing them on his or her mind. The amount recently spent on Jimbo and Buzz will also play a factor.

The new AD will have interesting decisions to make.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

A final consideration is that of athletic department money, which I don't know in detail. Keep in mind is that Blair and Henry are both in their 70s, so the new AD would have to have replacing them on his or her mind. The amount recently spent on Jimbo and Buzz will also play a factor.
I really hope this is not the case. Considering we just spent close to $30 million on a new stadium, a coach's salary is going to be a drop in the bucket in my opinion. We're pot-committed at this point, and to go on the cheap now would be silly given what was spent on facilities.

If this was the case, then there's a huge risk in replacing a known quantity in Jo Evans with a likely up and coming coach hired on the cheap.

The more I think about this, the more I'd really like to see us take a run at Gerry Glasco. I'm not sure we would have to try and money whip him, and he's obviously a really good softball coach.
sharpdressedman
Giving her another year as a likely "dead coach walking" will negatively impact recruiting. The place to be for elite Texas softball talent is now 100 miles down the road. Why concede the next class?
Belton Ag
AG
sharpdressedman said:

Giving her another year as a likely "dead coach walking" will negatively impact recruiting. The place to be for elite Texas softball talent is now 100 miles down the road. Why concede the next class?
I think that getting the right coach in here is so much more important than one recruiting class that it should be the only consideration.

Just firing Evans for the sake of firing her is kind of shortsighted, unless they hire an AD in the next couple weeks that is capable of pulling off a big move that quickly.
mullokmotx
AG
I think Jo is starting to change her recruiting with 3 of the 6 signed players from out of state with 2 from California and 1 from Arizona. Maybe she felt she couldn't do that before with the facility we had. I can recall only 1 freshman from out of state the last 10 years and that is Kayla Poynter. Every other out of state player we had transferred in.
A new coach might not be able to upgrade the talent right away unless that coach brings 4 starters with them from a WCWS team like the new tu coach did.
cocacolaaggie68
Take these players at the expense of the rest of the team?
Belton Ag
AG
mullokmotx said:

I think Jo is starting to change her recruiting with 3 of the 6 signed players from out of state with 2 from California and 1 from Arizona. Maybe she felt she couldn't do that before with the facility we had. I can recall only 1 freshman from out of state the last 10 years and that is Kayla Poynter. Every other out of state player we had transferred in.
A new coach might not be able to upgrade the talent right away unless that coach brings 4 starters with them from a WCWS team like the new tu coach did.
We've brought in a couple freshmen from out of state in the last 10 years but they transferred out. Miles a couple years ago and a pitcher a few years ago both from California.
TxA&Mhunter
AG
How many runs have been scored in conference play ?? Would these three players alone with homers amd RBIs surpass our team total of in conference room scored ?
BigBubbaAggie82
In all fairness to the some of the players, there's talent there that isn't being played for whatever reason. Jo's winning strategy is apparently outdated and obsolete.
sharpdressedman
Belton Ag said:

sharpdressedman said:

I think that getting the right coach in here is so much more important than one recruiting class that it should be the only consideration.

Just firing Evans for the sake of firing her is kind of shortsighted, unless they hire an AD in the next couple weeks that is capable of pulling off a big move that quickly.
I don't disagree.

I commented on another thread dealing with the likelihood that RC and the new AD will not make any moves regarding Jo until after next season. My point was that if magic happened and the right coach became available and would take the job, whomever the AD is would very likely take advantage of the opportunity and make the change this year. Hence the next recruiting class could be much better than what Jo could produce, and the gap with tu would not increase.

I'm hoping that money, facilities, climate, state recruiting pool, the appeal of Aggieland, and the 12th Man culture can, together, create the synergy necessary to turn a top coach's head in our direction, sooner rather than later.

sharpdressedman
BigBubbaAggie82 said:

In all fairness to the some of the players, there's talent there that isn't being played for whatever reason. Jo's winning strategy is apparently outdated and obsolete.
Your comment is very intriguing. Please elaborate. I appreciate that you intend no disrespect to any specific player(s), but I am interested in any observations/suggestions you have that could mitigate the severity of this mess.
AgDad77
AG
We have 1 outfielder on the roster that is of SEC quality - Fortenberry!!!
mullokmotx
AG
Our RPI dropped to 49 after getting swept at Missouri. I now think we need to win our last 2 non-conference games, and get 1 win this weekend over Arkansas and 1 win at UT the last weekend. We need a win at UT because we are 1-9 in road games.
8 of the 13 teams in the SEC have been run-ruled in a conference game. We lead the way with 5, then MSU with 4, Arkansas with 3, Florida and Tennessee twice, and Auburn, LSU and South Carolina 1 time each.
On the radio today, Louie Belina described the next 2 recruiting classes as "stellar" I think he said. Time will tell.
Serious Lee
cocacolaaggie68 said:

Take these players at the expense of the rest of the team?
have yet to hear someone expound on this stance. unless the majority of the team was going to transfer, i dont see how the 3 aforementioned players and the numbers they are putting up make us worse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.