Midweek pitching and regional implications

1,770 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems every year depth at pitching is an issue, whether its relief, closers, or starters. Sure every program would like to have a roster of 1st rounders, but how big of a worry is it for a double elimination weekend?

The biggest worry is that if either one of your friday/Saturday pitchers have a bad game, then you will have to rely on your Tuesday/Wednesday guys to get you to that regional game 7 Monday night. At which point depth on the mound is make-or-break for your entire season.

Sure. A host would like to sweep the winners bracket and only play 3 games. But all the times we made it to a regional in the RC-era, I can only think of twice where we fully dominated a regional. 16 and 17, and in 17 the very situation I'm referring to happened to the 1 seed Houston. They lost game 1 and had to fight their way through the losers bracket.
BANA89
AG
Even with the injuries we've faced, we've overcome it well with our pitching depth WHEN we haven't held pitchers back due to higher priority SEC games. I don't think we'll have a huge issue when things are on the line in a regional.

I can't say the same about hitting. Let's face it, we suck. Shocking how badly and lightly this team hits after some of the mashers we've had in past years. We don't have one true power bat in the lineup, not even an up and coming one.

If we lose a regional, I don't think it'll be due to pitching, it'll be hitting. Let's face it, we need our hitters to get on a roll when post-season comes along or it's going to be a short and not-so-sweet exit.

BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Aggie1205
AG
This is what 11.7 scholarships gets you.
tjack16
AG
we also don't have an established Sunday starter. We can't do pitch by committee in a game 3 of a regional or super and expect to win every time.
McCoveysCove
hopefully menefee can safely build up endurance to contribute big innings soon
tjack16
AG
McCoveysCove said:

hopefully menefee can safely build up endurance to contribute big innings soon
He has not impressed me this year... especially recently. I'd be very nervous to have him come in to pitch in a regional game.
texasag_01
AG

Most important info starts at 5:20
Wicked Good Ag
I don't have a problem with our pitching at all. In mid week games Childress looks for 2 innings from like 3-4 guys and then assesses the situation on who to bring in. The problem is hitting and specifically situational hitting. You aren't gonna win many games with few hits and even fewer runs. The problem has been 6-7 guys that haven't gotten it done compared to past and or ability. Which of those 6-7 do you put into four spots? You choose based upon lefty righty, past recent production and what position can they play and pitcher tendencies.
If these players
Wingate
Frizzell
Ducoff
Walters
Deloach
Condel
Morris
all of these are better than their average/production for the year but the stats don't lie this year...none have gotten it done consistently with more patchy production levels. Add to it that I don't think anyone has exceeded expectations based upon the entire season except maybe Hoerner
Coleman has done great for a freshman but is currently in slump. Blaum dropping a bit. Shewmake doing what we expected but beginning of season was barely at .200 for a while.

And yet we have one of the top SEC records in the best conference with a couple of winnable away series coming up. And on pace for regional host and possible top 8 overalll
Alpha Texan
AG
Take care of business in the first 3 games. Utilize the best of the bullpen if we go to a 4th in the regional. Go back to your first starter if it goes to a 5th.

We skrong
W
AG
perhaps stating the obvious...in regional play A&M has to win its first 2 games.

winning 3 games-in-a-row not started by Dox or Lacy...would be a very tall order.

in part (and as previously mentioned) because the lineup can be shut down at any time by any pitcher
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.