Schloss embarrassed by bdf stance on 3rd paid assistant

6,495 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Ackar07
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article229259794.html

Your conference sucks!!!
powerbelly
AG
He is correct it is embarrassing.
W
AG
the BDF won't come out and admit...they don't want to spend the money or they don't have the money
44mAG
AG
According to tu's AD on sports radio last week, he claimed that the reason he personally didn't agree to the paid third assistant, was because apparently they tried to lump softball in it as well? He stated that Baseball has 10 or more players on each roster than softball (Pitchers I guess). So he said numbers wise, it makes sense for baseball, but not for softball, so they said let's rethink this. If that is all true, it kind of makes sense, but I have no idea if his statements are valid.
powerbelly
AG
He doesnt like that the SEC added it to the proposal. He just needed an excuse to vote no. I dont think he would have voted yes if it was just baseball.
technoviking
AG
He should have relocated to Dudy Noble when he had the chance. Glad to see he's suffering that non-move now
Shane Minks
AG
44mAG said:

According to tu's AD on sports radio last week, he claimed that the reason he personally didn't agree to the paid third assistant, was because apparently they tried to lump softball in it as well? He stated that Baseball has 10 or more players on each roster than softball (Pitchers I guess). So he said numbers wise, it makes sense for baseball, but not for softball, so they said let's rethink this. If that is all true, it kind of makes sense, but I have no idea if his statements are valid.

Even if that's true, good luck getting it past Title IX.
L8HIT
AG
So how many coaches are there?
themissinglink
AG
The league is run by the horns and sooners. They probably didn't even poll the rest of the league's ADs or coaches.
MSU/SECALUM
technoviking said:

He should have relocated to Dudy Noble when he had the chance. Glad to see he's suffering that non-move now
I was wondering what his thoughts were about this subject? We missed on the big name coaches but somehow Cohen got Lemonis and so far he has exceeded my expectations. Cohen recruited against him when he was at UK and Lemonis was at Louisville. Sort of helps that Lemonis' parents are State grads and Lemonis was born in Starkville
powerbelly
AG
It is amazing that even the small conferences are expected to vote yes.
EMY92
AG
L8HIT said:

So how many coaches are there?
3 coaches, one is an unpaid volunteer.
twk
AG
44mAG said:

The original SEC proposal was just for baseball, but the feedback they got from other leagues was to add softball to the proposal for Title IX reasons. So, it's a catch 22; include softball, the the Big XII will use that as a pretext to vote against it, saying softball is in less need of a 3rd paid assistant than baseball; omit softball, and the issue will probably fail because of Title IX concerns.

Frankly, I don't believe that Del Conte and his crowd are being honest--they don't want to spend the money, but, they also don't want to be put at a disadvantage, so they want to keep the SEC and like minded schools from adding a 3rd paid assistant, even if they don't have to.
Chester
twk said:

44mAG said:

The original SEC proposal was just for baseball, but the feedback they got from other leagues was to add softball to the proposal for Title IX reasons. So, it's a catch 22; include softball, the the Big XII will use that as a pretext to vote against it, saying softball is in less need of a 3rd paid assistant than baseball; omit softball, and the issue will probably fail because of Title IX concerns.

Frankly, I don't believe that Del Conte and his crowd are being honest--they don't want to spend the money, but, they also don't want to be put at a disadvantage, so they want to keep the SEC and like minded schools from adding a 3rd paid assistant, even if they don't have to.
W
AG
speaking of Schloss and embarrassing...let's review TCU's non-conference scheduling this year:

weekend series vs.:

#127 Grand Canyon
#213 Seton Hall
#222 Long Beach
#275 Eastern Michigan

playing in the Shriner's vs.: #12 / #41 / #140 and the California tournament vs.: #3 / #79 / #112...could not offset the dreadful weekend series.

and that adds up to a non-conference SoS of #175
CoachLB
Didn't the Horns get caught funneling money to a volunteer baseball coach through a business a few years ago? Maybe theirs is getting paid already so why let the other conference teams have a level playing field.
powerbelly
AG
CoachLB said:

Didn't the Horns get caught funneling money to a volunteer baseball coach through a business a few years ago? Maybe theirs is getting paid already so why let the other conference teams have a level playing field.

I assume all programs have ways to provide income on the side to the volunteer coach.
twk
AG
CoachLB said:

That was how they got rid of Gus. His son was violating the rules on outside income. Under Augie, if I recall correctly, it was a little more complicated--they got an exemption that allowed volunteer coach Trip Couch to go out on the road because Augie, allegedly, was physically unable to do so, and then I believe that Couch was getting paid beyond what the rules allowed.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Schloss should get used to it. That's what he signed up for.
Wicked Good Ag
Camps and clinics are where most volunteers get reimbursed for their efforts. Also they get all the perks of meals travel etc that come with the job. Now I am not saying that it is worth it short term but long term you may catch on as an assistant everntially
jkag89
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Schloss was at TCU before it became a member of the BDF, but he certainly has suitors interested in him so he could have left if he had wanted.
Fat Black Swan
AG
jkag89 said:

Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Schloss was at TCU before it became a member of the BDF, but he certainly has suitors interested in him so he could have left if he had wanted.
Hill Country Ag
AG
Cue dumpster GIF.... really needed to complete this thread.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I can usually see the angle, but here am left speculating. Someone who knows more let me know if this is close? Speculation:

NO
B1G- doesn't care about baseball, don't want to have to spend more $$$ to maintain mediocrity

sips- can outspend everyone on the HC, don't want anything that levels the BDF playing field
thieves- same as sips to a lesser degree
tbat- current HC is rolling, does not want to change the status quo
wv- historically bad at baseball, don't want to spend the $$$

YES

SEC, ACC, CUSA, Southland- Willing to spend for the advantage over cheaper conferences

kstate- don't have softball, don't have to pay a softball coach
tcu- same
ku- have to recruit far off, would help level playing field (historically suck, don't know why they care)
baylor- high cost of tuition makes recruiting difficult, would help level playing field
94chem
Augie wanted to stay in Austin and drink wine and chase tail, so he was allowed to pay somebody else to do his recruiting. Augie's back was so bad that he could only complete 36 holes some days.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Seriously, can somebody who knows answer my question?

Why does KU want to spend more money on coaches? Won't they would probably suck either way?

Why does TBAT not want a 3rd assistant?
-located in decent recruiting territory
-low admissions standards and relatively inexpensive tuition make recruiting easier
-HC will eventually leave for more $$$
-Long term, not likely to compete with tu, but should continue as decent regional program

Do they honestly think they can keep their HC for another 10 years?
Are they just not willing to pay the political price of angering the sips?

leftcoastaggie
AG
How much money are we talking about? How much does an assistant Baseball/Softball coach make? $50k? probably less.
MSU/SECALUM
https://twitter.com/CoachRonPolk/status/1118307712931127296/video/1
rugger74
AG
Augies 3rd asst was being paid 30k as a part time 'employee' for one of the beer distributors I will not name.
Aggie95
AG
supposedly this was officially voted down today by the ncaa.

I feel bad for those unpaid assistants and their families.
CampingAg
AG
Sad day. Any word on when this would be able to come up for a vote again?
Sandman98
AG
rugger74 said:

Augies 3rd asst was being paid 30k as a part time 'employee' for one of the beer distributors I will not name.

What's wrong with that? They all make money on the side. Like, every single one of them at every school in the USA.
twk
AG
Sandman98 said:

rugger74 said:

What's wrong with that? They all make money on the side. Like, every single one of them at every school in the USA.

He didn't actually do any work, that's what was wrong.
rugger74
AG
Sandman98, see twk response for your answer. I should have put that info in my post.
PhatMack19
AG
I like this Tennessee coach

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.