BDF and Big 10 ...

4,440 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vote against third paid assistant
Most other conferences voted for the proposal

Will be interesting to see what Tadlock thinks with Tech voting against the proposal.
mwm
So, do we get the 3rd paid asst or not?
KT 90
AG
Scroll through Kendall's timeline for more info, but here is a recap from a few hours ago.

Wicked Good Ag
Will be interesting to see how players feel about commitment level of some programs. Someone eluded to this in Kendall's twitter
greg.w.h
AG
Interesting problem. Comes down to whether players feel they're developing or not I suspect. I would guess they would favor programs with more paid coaches to maximize personal development.
BANA89
AG
Anybody know what it takes to pass this?
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
twk
AG
greg.w.h said:

Interesting problem. Comes down to whether players feel they're developing or not I suspect. I would guess they would favor programs with more paid coaches to maximize personal development.

The BDF and Big Ten will have the same number...if this doesn't pass. Supposedly, the reason the BDF is against it is because it applies to softball, too (something the SEC added to the proposal at the suggestion of other schools that, failing to do so would create a Title IX problem). At least that's the story they will pitch to baseball recruits.
nereus
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

Will be interesting to see how players feel about commitment level of some programs. Someone eluded to this in Kendall's twitter
I doubt this vote will have much of an effect at all on coaches and players choosing to go to those schools that vote against this. As long as the schools are supporting their baseball programs under the current rules (such as facilities, competitive head coaching salaries, etc.). I don't think this vote will hurt those schools.

Now, if on the other hand this passes and schools like Texas, OU, Tech don't fund the extra positions, then I think it will be used against them and it will hurt them. But, I'm pretty sure those three would would fund the additional coaches for both baseball and softball if this measure passes.
W
AG
great reporting by D1 on this.

the BDF (other than TCU) is being very coy. Their AD's are giving a bunch of mumbo-jumbo answers
ensign_beedrill
AG
BANA89 said:

Kendall says a simple majority. 31 of 60 votes.
mwm
There is a boat load of good coaching talent bottle-necked in the JUCO, D3 & D2 levels that can't move up. Due to, in part, a bunch of old guys who won't retire (ala Wayne Graham [gone] and others). Having a 3rd paid assistant might allow some of those youngers guys a chance to move up and will improve the quality coaching of college players.
nereus
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

BANA89 said:

Kendall says a simple majority. 31 of 60 votes.
He wrote this in a latter tweet:
Quote:

Power Fives four votes for each conference

Group of Fives two votes for each conference

Everyone else gets one vote each, plus two student-athlete reps for all of D1.

But the math on that doesn't quite work out to 60 votes using those numbers. Anyways, it is sound more likely that it will pass despite the big xii's objections.
nereus
AG
Well, here is an Arron Fitt tweet that clarifies:

Quote:

It's 60 available points: power 5 conference votes are worth 4 points. Group of 5 conference votes are worth 2 points. Every other conference's vote is worth 1 point. Also 2 student-athletes, 2 faculty reps and 4 conference commissioners worth 1 point apiece. That's 60.
BANA89
AG
When does voting end?
Aggie1205
AG
Any updates on the odds that this passes?
Mikeyshooter
AG
It's looking like it will pass according to Kendall but not a slam dunk.
MSU/SECALUM
https://twitter.com/CoachRonPolk/status/1118307712931127296/video/1
W
AG
wow, it failed
greg.w.h
AG
It will come back up.
Aggie1205
AG
Is there a list of who voted no?
chap
AG
Not yet, but there will be.

jkag89
Defeat Of Third Assistant Plan Deals College Baseball A Major Blow
By Aaron Fitt - D1 Baseball
mwm
What a shameful blow to college baseball.
BANA89
AG
Wow, a travesty
W
AG
so the Big 10 and Big 12 presidents and/or athletic directors basically told their coaches to go pound sand.

for teams that change coaches at the end of the year...should have more candidates to choose from
twk
AG
There should be no Big Ten or BDF teams hosting as they obviously can't afford it.
mwm
Has anyone seen a tally on the votes? Who said yes, who said no?
ensign_beedrill
AG
Kendall's tracking it down.

mwm
Thks! We can always count on the "Ensign"!
BTW, I don't "twit" or "tweet". I have to rely on the younger crowd to keep me informed.
HogsSmellGood
Dave Van Horn, like every SEC coach is very disappointed in this. Said he worked for free for four years before he got a paid position. Would gladly pay another assistant out of his salary. He said the worst part of it is that when a volunteer coach finally gets paid he knows nothing about recruiting.
McInnis80
Give me a break B1G. I guess Penn State and Michigan State need to the money to pay attorneys. Ohio State has no excuse. So should the SEC vote cut hockey and wrestling coaches?

I understand why Pac 12 voted no. Baseball is a money loser and they are being left behind in revenue.l Cal almost dropped baseball a few years and then they had a huge stadium renovation that did not add many seats but was necessary due to safety reasons. Oregon State has a tiny football stadium and a horrible team. A really good program is getting hosed.
dixichkn
AG
Still hasn't outed the BDF huh? Should be interesting when they do......
Agsuffering@bulaw
The B1G has more money than everyone but the SEC. Whether they care about baseball, anything that forces the competition to spend more benefits them. Maybe the B1G traded a vote on this with the smalls in exchange for something that benefits their football and or hoops.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.