Hitting the ball !!!!!!!!

11,567 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Artimus Gordon
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Sort of? Some of those are just because the player registered no stats in 2018 which is why they dropped. Jorge went to 0 because he was academically ineligible, not because Bolt is a bad coach... And Shew, like Banks, got hurt last year and regressed. He's doing much better this season despite a very slow start

Also consider guys like Schoenvogel only had 20 something at bats. In one of those years. Not really a good indicator of hitting ability...
I put it together in about 10 minutes so I missed removing Jorge. College season is too short to draw any real statistical insight, but there is a slow down of progression and regression in OPS in the last few years. Shewmake's OPS for this year is also below his freshman season, but I didn't include partial year stats.

I prefaced it with not being in depth enough.
W
AG
DeLoach is the most puzzling of the 2019 club.

he had 246 at-bats last season...and almost 280 plate appearances.

that's a ton of experience
W
AG
and for this coming weekend...Arkansas scored 20 runs vs. Auburn's pitching staff last weekend.

(in 33 innings since 1 game went into extras)

let's see how the maroon-n-white does against the same Tiger pitching staff
Aggieangler93
AG
Makes me wonder if he is hurt, or maybe he needs glasses? He seemed to be really hitting his stride last season.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
denied
There are a few guys that I wonder about their eyesight. Whether it be needing glasses/contacts or a new prescription; several guys can't seem to pick up the rotation of the ball.
Sandman98
AG
W said:

DeLoach is the most puzzling of the 2019 club.

he had 246 at-bats last season...and almost 280 plate appearances.

that's a ton of experience

Chris Davis has a lot more experience than Deloach. He hit enough for a few years to earn more than $20MM per year. Now he can't hit your fastball.

Hitting is hard. Lots of elite HS and college hitters disappear. Some return and others don't and it usually has nothing to do with coaching.
W
AG
so 4 runs vs. Auburn in 17 innings of baseball. Not good.

need an offensive explosion tomorrow
Bravo 93
SteveMedina said:

at practice vs on your own.

on your own.....one on one with coach, grad assistant......not sure of current rule allowances.

in practice.

4 stations more or less.

left field cage, live home plate, right field cage. or two left field cages....whatever.

left field cage 1....short toss, tee work example.

right field cage 2. pitching machine working situational. bunt, hit n run, man on second...man on third etc..

live home plate. typical pre game bp set up.

then shag/react at position for 4th station.

maybe each station runs 30 minutes....hitters rotate.

so technically that practice would run 2 hours.

mix in conditioning for 15 minutes......out of there in 2 or so hours.

Thanks this is awesome!!!!! I always wondered what a true practice was like. Thanks for sharing!!!
Houstonag
AG
I agree with many posters about hitting. Compared to some of our competitors we really look bad. Technique and strategy is not good. No confidence. Taking three straight strikes is really not good.

From looking at others and the majors good hitting clubs are ready on the first pitch. A good pitcher wants to throw a strike on the first pitch so be ready.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Houstonag said:

I agree with many posters about hitting. Compared to some of our competitors we really look bad. Technique and strategy is not good. No confidence. Taking three straight strikes is really not good.

From looking at others and the majors good hitting clubs are ready on the first pitch. A good pitcher wants to throw a strike on the first pitch so be ready.
Don't swing at the first pitch and we aren't aggressive enough, swing at the first pitch and we aren't being patient enough...classic TexAgs discussion.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Houstonag said:

Don't swing at the first pitch and we aren't aggressive enough, swing at the first pitch and we aren't being patient enough...classic TexAgs discussion.
nereus
AG
Houstonag said:

There are different theories and different people have their own opinions, but generally this argument always feels like you are going to get a complaint either way no matter what approach you take if it doesn't work.

If you swing on the first pitches and it works everyone gives you credit for being aggressive and ready to hit. If it doesn't work, people complain that we aren't working the pitcher, getting his pitch count up, getting to the bullpen, looking for the right pitches to hit, etc.

If you don't swing on the first pitch and it works everyone gives you credit for being patient, making the pitcher earn everything and getting their pitch count up to get to the bullpen. If it doesn't work, people complain that you let that first pitch go that is usually one of the better pitches to hit.

Here are a select few posts from the game threads from Saturday & Sunday (there were others as well) complaining about the exact opposite thing:

Quote:

Auburn making it easy for Miller with all the first pitch swinging
Quote:

Swing at first pitch Shewmake [posted after Shewmake went 3U on the first pitch]
Quote:

WHY?!? Why are we ALWAYS, first pitch swinging, with runners on base?!? [posted after we hit into a double play on the first pitch to Condol]
W
AG
so here are the Ags' run scored totals by conference series:

19 vs. Vanderbilt
31 vs. Kentucky
11 vs. Missouri
10 vs. LSU
8 vs. Auburn

obviously the trend is going in the wrong direction. With continued strong pitching, A&M can still probably host a regional scoring 10 runs per series. But to be a top 8 host and/or win the conference/division, the Ags need to boost production into the 12 to 15 runs per series range
Chester
hunter2012
AG
Bolt should fix this by attempting a bunt on every first pitch. Then if it's a strike he was good to initiate bat contact and if it's a ball he can retract the bunt thus burning pitches. Seems like a win-win to me...
SMM48
AG
Mix in rundowns. Or pitchers covering first, this gets drilled over and over. Outfield cutoff situations. Ball in gap etc. 1 and 3rd defense. Runner on third defense. Some time in practice will be spent on basics, it just depends what day it is.
W
AG
okay, A&M scored 16 runs in the series vs. South Carolina --- a considerable improvement over the past month.

half of those runs scored via home runs. The 4-baggers really help a lot
BenFiasco14
AG
Bump
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
W
AG
hopefully this weekend was rock bottom.

only 4 runs scored (albeit 2 games were 7 innings)
mazag08
AG
This is who we are. Elite pitching with awful hitting. The only reason we are on the map offensively is BECAUSE of the little talent we have overcoming awful coaching and plate approach.

A middle school coach could figure out how to neutralize our hitters.

1st pitch. Off speed low outside.
2nd pitch. Fastball up or in out of strike zone.
3rd pitch off speed again.
4th pitch if needed.. off speed or fastball up.

We hunt fastballs. That's all we do. And we suck at hitting anything else.
BenFiasco14
AG
bump.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Phog06
AG
Beyond terrible
mullokmotx
AG
Is there something in the water on the west side of campus? Only on Tuesday did either of our diamond teams show any ability to get a clutch hit in the post-season.
Artimus Gordon
Our hitters look like a bunch of 98 lb weaklings with girls softball stances at the plate! I expect at least one of them to start running at the pitch to slap it to 3rd base!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.