Hitting the ball !!!!!!!!

11,552 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Artimus Gordon
Bravo 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
During the regular practice sessions are we not working on hitting? Looking at the current trend we should be spending more time on driving the baseball, situational hitting and execution of small ball to manufacture runs. What are your thoughts?
ptothemo
AG
Paging Coach Childress! We have some really insightful stuff here that will probably turn the tide for the rest of our season. I really hope that he reads it before practice today! What time is practice today?!? Gah, this post has my head spinning!!!

/s
Aggie1205
AG
My goodness, we should practice hitting? Wish we had thought of this before. Promote the OP to a coaching position ASAP! Everyone knows that hitting a small ball moving over 90 mph with a metal stick is easy if you just practice during the week.

histag10
AG
Give this man a job! He has figured out the secret to a successful baseball team that no one before has ever figured out.
ptothemo
AG
I am curious if TexAgs will transfer the subscription that has been paid for to a new user name because there is just no coming back from this being the first post for OP. Just kill the user name with fire and start over.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Did anyone consider this to be a legitimate attempt to discuss baseball? Maybe something besides rudeness could have been used to address the OP. Just my 2 cents. Have always found this forum to be pretty accepting and respectful.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
histag10
AG
Okay. Here's my respectful, 100% serious answer:

Yes, they practice batting during practice. That is why they pay a hitting coach, and also, it is one of the key parts of baseball. Batting practice can make you better, but no one bats perfectly, and everyone has bad days. It is unfortunate that several people struggled last night in positions where there were opportunities for an RBI. Its also unfortunate that these conversations start after a loss, and only seem to imply that the coaching staff really screwed up by not ever practicing batting.
Artimus Gordon
You are expecting too much! You can't get blood out of a turnip!
Hop
Staff
AG
histag10 said:

Yes, they practice batting during practice. That is why they pay a hitting coach, and also, it is one of the key parts of baseball. Batting practice can make you better, but no one bats perfectly, and everyone has bad days. It is unfortunate that several people struggled last night in positions where there were opportunities for an RBI. Its also unfortunate that these conversations start after a loss, and only seem to imply that the coaching staff really screwed up by not ever practicing batting.

But it is a legitimate discussion point that for several years now, the A&M offense as a whole has been struggling. For many years, this has been a dead red hitting team. This isn't just one bad game, or even one bad season at the plate. Talent or approach? That's the question.
greg.w.h
AG
The primary missed opportunity was bottom of the first. The rest was just grinding out runs.

It's a shame. And I hope it leads to good conversations on waking up to the opportunities. Better discipline at the plate often conflicts with comfort and looseness. The latter are the only hope to sustain during the entire season.
powerbelly
AG
I think it is mostly talent, but it seems several players regress the longer they play at A&M
HoustonAg2106
AG
We are 6th in the SEC in runs scored and only 6 runs behind LSU for 5th place....also good for 25th in the country. Can/should we be better? Yes of course, but to act like our offense never produces is just false.
Aggie1205
AG
So if we were to go back say 20 years, what would our team OPS look like year to year?
histag10
AG
Hop said:

histag10 said:

But it is a legitimate discussion point that for several years now, the A&M offense as a whole has been struggling. For many years, this has been a dead red hitting team. This isn't just one bad game, or even one bad season at the plate. Talent or approach? That's the question.

But that's not the question that was asked. The question that was asked was whether or not the team practices hitting during practice.

Your answer is valid, just not to the question that was asked. I answered the question that was asked, not the question that some might think he meant to ask.
nortex97
AG
Sure they practice hitting. It won't get better until bolt and Childress are gone tho.
W
AG
kind of the bottomline...the Ags have played 8 weekends of baseball.

for 2 of the 8 weekends...the hitting was great (vs. Vanderbilt and Kentucky).

for the other 6 weekends...it's been average to below average to dreadful.

the bats need to get going vs. Auburn. We want the Vandy & UK series to be the norm...not the exceptions
sellthefarm
AG
Hop said:

histag10 said:

IMO it is 100% approach. There is a number of things that I've noticed over the last few years that I would change immediately if given the opportunity.

We stand to far from the plate (this is why offspeed kills us)

We stand to far back in the box (see comment about offspeed)

We have a fear of striking out that causes a lot of weak swings and swings at marginal pitches (watch any of our games and the opposition pretty consistently swings a lot harder than we do and strikes out looking a lot more than we do)

We play small ball...sometimes, other times we don't. Small ball is dead and we shouldn't do it unless the winning or tying run is on base in the last 2 innings.

We don't emphasize the opposite field enough (notice the consistent shifts the opposition uses against us)

We don't develop power hitters (man I wish Shew had put on 20 pounds)

I could go on.

Flame away.
greg.w.h
AG
W said:

kind of the bottomline...the Ags have played 8 weekends of baseball.

for 2 of the 8 weekends...the hitting was great (vs. Vanderbilt and Kentucky).

for the other 6 weekends...it's been average to below average to dreadful.

the bats need to get going vs. Auburn. We want the Vandy & UK series to be the norm...not the exceptions

What is your bottomline sense of the opposing pitching.
Bravo 93
Sorry Guys,

My apologies if my comment was taken wrong. The intent of my question was purely to ask a legit question. In my ignorance I don't have any knowledge on how a major college baseball program's practice is structured. There was absolutely no malice or intent to attempt to point the finger at any of the awesome Aggie Players or Coaching Staff. I'm just a fan of the sport and I certainly admire those that are able to coach and compete on this level.

Nothing but respect and support. Go Aggies!!!!
tjack16
AG
Childress teams are never really known for offense. I think we got spoiled by the 2015 and 2016 teams having upperclassmen that could hit .300 and 10 homeruns with ease. That was kind of an anomoly.

This team is just very inconsistent offensively.
W
AG
the Missouri staff is excellent and LSU's is very good / above average.

but the other 4 weekends...not so much.

need to get back on track vs. an Auburn staff that was hit hard by Arkansas and State
tcow715
AG
I think talent has a lot to do with it. Our offensive recruiting philosophy is off. We commit guys way too early and they end up getting passed up by the time they are seniors in high school.

Dru Baker (Texas Tech, .315 2 HR 17 RBI) and Colton Cowser (Sam Houston, .385 3 HR 33 RBI) are two freshman that A&M didn't even contact, and D1 Baseball just put both of them in their Top 10 Freshman Hitters in the nation.
Aggies2009
AG
Hop said:

histag10 said:

Should've used GR Hinsely more, eh, Hop?
greg.w.h
AG
W said:

the Missouri staff is excellent and LSU's is very good / above average.

but the other 4 weekends...not so much.

need to get back on track vs. an Auburn staff that was hit hard by Arkansas and State

To be absolutely crystal clear: are you complaining specifically about the three series we won but dropped a game, then? UIC, Gonzaga, and then #1 Vandy?? The UIC loss was more pitching (all seven runs earned) than batting and the other two games we delivered. The Gonzaga loss was again all earned runs and we had more hits than they did (16-14) so we weren't plating runs but wasn't batting per se.

Vandy almost certainly has a better #1 pitcher and limiting us to five hits demonstrates that. But we were tied after seven and Weber got tagged with two earned runs.

So I'm going to suggest better pitching has caused us fits and prior to that we really didn't have as bad of a hitting problem. Which isn't to suggest our offense has been great. Just not terrible.
ordRV80
AG
Let's use Hoehner as an example:
All year he has been a sucker for the high cheese. Teams now have the book on him. In the first w bases juiced and no outs with 2 strikes they know to throw one chin high. Can't hit it and can't lay off it.

Somebody teach him how to lay off, please!

BTW, he K'd again w 2nd and 3rd w one out later.
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
JohnnieBB
AG
I agree with all "sell the farm" states except for one point. Small ball. I love small ball however, we cannot do it because we cannot bunt! I blame that on Bolt. I have been to many practices and watch them bunt. They practice bunting when BP is taken behind the batting catch with a pitching machine is throwing balls to them. Not much super vision there. What small ball does is puts pressure on the defense to make plays. Bolt will put it on the first strike then take it off on the second only b/c he knows we can't execute, I guess! There are a few situations we did get a hit on the second or third strike but, only a few times.

Another thing we still swing at too many bad pitches, Shew, Ducoff, Hoenher, Coleman, Mikey, Blaum. Please don't get me wrong, I love all of our guys they just need to be more selective.

We are still in a good position in the West and can win the West if we get better timely hitting. Our pitching is very good. IMO Lacy is the best, then Dox, then Roa. Jaws looked nasty last night -- he had some rest. Dox just throws too many pitches in the first inning.

:Let win this weekend series against Auburn.
Fishing Fools
Maybe if they removed all the crap they wear on the hands, wrists, forearms, shoulders, and calves they could focus on hitting instead rearranging the crap after each pitch.
Just my psychological 2 cents!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03EkZaqEtqMnKmp-3F9c3hvdg
cevans_40
AG
Hop said:

histag10 said:

Nonsense. You can't talk like that here. We can't have a serious discussion about why we consistently underperform at the plate. /que the magic stats that say we better than the '27 Yankees
Aggies2009
AG
cevans_40 said:

Hop said:

histag10 said:

Nonsense. You can't talk like that here. We can't have a serious discussion about why we consistently underperform at the plate. /que the magic stats that say we better than the '27 Yankees

Cool. Have anything to add other than whining and straw manning?

Also it's cue. Hth
nereus
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

We are 6th in the SEC in runs scored and only 6 runs behind LSU for 5th place....also good for 25th in the country. Can/should we be better? Yes of course, but to act like our offense never produces is just false.
Our ground crew is amazing and our weather is pretty good. That means we generally end up playing more games than most teams and that inflates our counting stats. If you look at runs per game, we are 8th in the SEC and 58th in the country.

The biggest thing for me is we are 220th in doubles and 192nd in stolen bases. We have got to be able to do one of those things well. Too many times we have to string 3 (sometimes even 4) hits together in an inning to score a run. That isn't an issue of timely hitting. That is just creating long odds.
Captain Pablo
AG
It's a Childress issue

We've had hitting coaches that do well elsewhere
Reno Hightower
The Childress/Bolt offense is boring.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Small ball is dead and we shouldn't do it unless the winning or tying run is on base in the last 2 innings.
I don't think small ball is dead at the college level, but you have to commit to it and recruit the right guys to play it.
Hop
Staff
AG
histag10 said:

Hop said:

histag10 said:

But that's not the question that was asked. The question that was asked was whether or not the team practices hitting during practice.

Your answer is valid, just not to the question that was asked. I answered the question that was asked, not the question that some might think he meant to ask.

I was responding to your comments that seem to suggest that the OP was overreacting because every player has a bad night and struggles at the plate. He was trying to suggest that the long term struggles could be related to batting practice. The reason for the struggles may be off-base, but the long-term struggles are clear to see... and it's not just a bad day at the plate.
cevans_40
AG
I think most of our issues are approach/mental. We are not consistent in anything we do. Sometimes we try to be an aggressive power hitting team, then we try small ball, then we are try to be aggresive on the bases, then we play it safe. Certain game situations dictate a different approach but it would be nice to have an identity.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.