Best Swing Mechanics?

5,013 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fat Black Swan
AggieFromArkansas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If you had a young player who loved watching Aggie Baseball, which player would you point to and say "Swing it like him son?"
Sandman98
AG
Deloach
Alpha Texan
AG
Sandman98 said:

Deloach
I'd go with this. There are others but pretty much everything about Deloach's game seems to be focused on textbook fundamentals.
denied
There is a documentary on Netflix right now about Ted Williams. It has some colorful language and talks about some of the more interesting parts of his character, but it talks some about "The Science of Hitting" and has a lot of video of him swinging the bat.
AggieFromArkansas
Oooh I'll have to check out the Netflix doc. Maybe not too colorful for my 10 year old.

Thanks for the heads up about Deloach. It's funny just how varied swings are among high level baseball players. There are guys in the majors with swings that youth coaches would cringe at. But they obviously work.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Perfect form and mechanics are no good to anyone, if a batter can't read the pitch.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Lance Uppercut
AG
If it's someone who would read, have them read "The Science of Hitting". It can't hurt to learn from the best, and Ted Williams is still the best. I'll second that documentary on Netflix as well, and you can see that his book continues to influence current players.

There's a natural talent part of it, of course. I think I read that Kris Bryant's dad got him the book and he was never really into it....but things still worked out for him. And you can think of all the crazy stances and swings throughout baseball that got guys to the highest level.

I'd like to hear from some actual coaches, but what gets me the most watching our players is how many guys have the bat resting on their shoulder or hanging in that direction, with their hands way up. And even with pitches being delivered, the bat doesn't go anywhere close to perpendicular. It would seem to me to disrupt timing, complicate your hands from going where they need to go to handle a number of pitches (bat speed), decrease power, and distort the understanding of the strike zone. The last time I was taking a look at swings was against Vanderbilt, and a number of players on their team were the same way, so it's not just us.

But in "Science of Hitting", Ted Williams was ahead of his time on what gives you power ("Hips lead the way"), hand placement, bat speed, launch angle etc. I can't imagine the book would be lost on anyone interested in the subject.
Aggieangler93
AG
There are two basic schools of thought on hitting mechanics, and each camp has plenty of haters of the other styles. Basically this is about linear vs rotational mechanics.

Ted Williams was big on rotational swing mechanics. My son went to a local coach here when he was about 11 and learned the method that Ted Williams developed. He still visits the same coach at least once a month and has had success with the program. He's always had great hand eye coordination and is an above average hitter, but the program really helped him with 5 or 6 fundamentals he can break down to, when things go off the rails for one reason or another.

Here is a good article that points out some differences in the two main schools of thought:
https://www.batspeed.com/tf.html

An excerpt:

The Key Differences

• Linear mechanics are based on the principle of a whip effect to generate bat speed. In other words, the hands extend in a straight (A to B) path.

• Rotational mechanics are based on the principle of the pendulum effect to generate bat speed. In other words, the hands are rotated in a circular path.

• Linear principles - The batter transfers his weight to a firm front side and extends his hands straight (A to B). As the linear advancement of the hands slow to a stop, the energy developed during the forward weight shift is transferred to the bat causing it to whip around - like "The Cracking of a Whip."

• Rotational principles - Regardless of the length of stride, the body's forward movement slows to a stop at heel plate. The body then rotates about a stationary axis. The hands remain back and allow body rotation to rotate the hands into a circular path, which induces angular acceleration of the bat from the Pendulum Effect -- like swinging a ball on a string.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree Lance. Williams and Epstein spent a lot of time, in discussion of hitting mechanics. Williams loved to talk hitting with anyone that was interested, from what I have heard. He taught lots and lots of younger players when he was more senior in his career and no longer playing.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Old Sarge
AG
Aggie
AG
AggieFromArkansas said:

Oooh I'll have to check out the Netflix doc. Maybe not too colorful for my 10 year old.

Thanks for the heads up about Deloach. It's funny just how varied swings are among high level baseball players. There are guys in the majors with swings that youth coaches would cringe at. But they obviously work.

Don't teach a kid to hit like an MLB player.
That's a huge mistake.

As a young player teach him a simple , compact swing that gives him the best chance for solid contact each swing.
Focus on swing path and keeping hands (thus the barrel) in the strike zone as long as possible.
Evolve the swing as the kid gets older

But again, teaching a 10 year old a MLB swing.. no no no
Aggie
AG
And I'd say Shewmake is a great swing for a young player.

Hands low and elbow down and in creating a short swing path. The wider the elbows the longer the swing
Tex100
AG
https://2080baseball.com/draft-prospect-video/braden-shewmake-4/

AggieFromArkansas
Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify, I know my.son is not, and will not become, Albert Pujohls. He's just playing local little league. He LOVES the game, but he's not very good. I just want to help him be good enough to continue enjoying it as long as possible.
Tex100
AG

Shew homerun
Tex100
AG
AggieFromArkansas said:

Thanks for all the replies. Just to clarify, I know my.son is not, and will not become, Albert Pujohls. He's just playing local little league. He LOVES the game, but he's not very good. I just want to help him be good enough to continue enjoying it as long as possible.
Find a good coach for him to work with.
Tex100
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

If it's someone who would read, have them read "The Science of Hitting". It can't hurt to learn from the best, and Ted Williams is still the best. I'll second that documentary on Netflix as well, and you can see that his book continues to influence current players.

There's a natural talent part of it, of course. I think I read that Kris Bryant's dad got him the book and he was never really into it....but things still worked out for him. And you can think of all the crazy stances and swings throughout baseball that got guys to the highest level.

I'd like to hear from some actual coaches, but what gets me the most watching our players is how many guys have the bat resting on their shoulder or hanging in that direction, with their hands way up. And even with pitches being delivered, the bat doesn't go anywhere close to perpendicular. It would seem to me to disrupt timing, complicate your hands from going where they need to go to handle a number of pitches (bat speed), decrease power, and distort the understanding of the strike zone. The last time I was taking a look at swings was against Vanderbilt, and a number of players on their team were the same way, so it's not just us.

But in "Science of Hitting", Ted Williams was ahead of his time on what gives you power ("Hips lead the way"), hand placement, bat speed, launch angle etc. I can't imagine the book would be lost on anyone interested in the subject.
Their stance may be different, but they tend to settle into the same position when they launch the swing. I think Correa's mechanics are my favorite. My son likes Josh Donaldson.
agfan2332
First of all, hitting a baseball comes down to being comfortable in the box. If you can't get comfortable, you're screwed. There are so many different ways to teach someone how to hit these days it will make you go crazy.

What I always taught kids I worked with is trying to hit down on the ball and go the opposite way with it and keeping your hands inside the baseball. I am not a fan of the exit velocity stuff that's being broadcasted all over the media on hitting because ultimately I think it all comes back to simplicity of hitting.

When I hit in college it was right before the bats changed in 2010 and we could get away with more then, but at the end of the day mentality and comfort is a huge key to success
Sandman98
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

Perfect form and mechanics are no good to anyone, if a batter can't read the pitch.

Which is why it's really hard to hit. What makes up a swing that's pleasing to the eye is mostly natural body organization. Everything can look right but being on time with a plan is more important than anything. Deloach appears to me to have the most naturally organized swing from the ground up.

He's just had some bad luck and the funk is prolonged by the natural loss of confidence that comes with a tough start. Maybe he'll never hit but he's physically equipped to be a good pro IMO.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
First step is spending 100 grand on select ball so you can save on college tuition with a D1 scholarship
cevans_40
AG
Almost all the great hitters look the same from load to contact. What comes before and after is all over the map.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

Quote:

AggieFromArkansas said:
Don't waste money on a coach at this age. Just get him a tee or toss "soft toss" to him a few days per week. Kids need repetition. Their swing will adjust over time and they won't build up incurable bad habits in little league. If you bring money and coaches into the mix, you have better chance of driving him away from the game than helping him enjoy it.
cevans_40
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

AggieFromArkansas said:
Don't waste money on a coach at this age. Just get him a tee or toss "soft toss" to him a few days per week. Kids need repetition. Their swing will adjust over time and they won't build up incurable bad habits in little league. If you bring money and coaches into the mix, you have better chance of driving him away from the game than helping him enjoy it.

I disagree. Starting with good fundamentals at an early age will do nothing but help. I am not saying you have to spend money on a coach but learn the basic fundamentals of a good swing and teach that to your son or daughter.
NoahAg
If your kid ain't spending 12 hours a week w/ a private hitting coach by the time he's 8, he may as well quit playing baseball and take up Quidditch.

/Attitude of waaay to many baseball dads living vicariously through their kids
Tex100
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

AggieFromArkansas said:
Depends if the dad has the background to teach hitting. If so, fine If not, get them with someone who can if the kid wants to to do it.

Also depends where you live. If you are headed to a competitive high school like several of the Cy Fair schools, if you aren't playing near the top level of select by 12 or 13, you may not make your high school team.
aggiebrad94
AG
Tex100 said:

aggiebrad94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

AggieFromArkansas said:
Depends if the dad has the background to teach hitting. If so, fine If not, get them with someone who can if the kid wants to to do it.

Also depends where you live. If you are headed to a competitive high school like several of the Cy Fair schools, if you aren't playing near the top level of select by 12 or 13, you may not make your high school team.
That's fear mongering that's spread by select ball money men and private coaches.
AggieFromArkansas
We're very much small town. And he may well not play in high school. Luckily, he's super smart. Reading the suggested book, watching good videos, he's pretty good at knowing what to do. Making his little body do what his big brain tells it to do is a while different story. For now, he enjoys it enough that we can get away with lots of repetition. Off the tee, soft toss, we even have a pitching machine he loves to play with.

I'm glad to hear that most folks share my opinion of select ball, traveling teams, etc. I love the local little league. We'll stay here as long as we can. When he's not happy with it, we'll have more time to drive to Blue Bell.
zagman
AG
If you want a young player to copy anyone watch Alex Bregman's level swing which stays in the strike zone a long time. Braden Shewmake is not bad.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
SMM48
AG
bregmans angle is actually up. it just looks flat. but you are right. copy that.

swing up. first thing i taught my then 4 year old. now 6. hit the clouds.
SMM48
AG
sandman98
Buford T. Justice
AG
I subscribe to Gary Ward's instructional videos from the 80's. Plug in, get comfortable, no tension, small distance between elbows and knees, stride takes you down, then rotate and let the hands fly.
cevans_40
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

I subscribe to Gary Ward's instructional videos from the 80's. Plug in, get comfortable, no tension, small distance between elbows and knees, stride takes you down, then rotate and let the hands fly.

One of the best to ever teach hitting
Aggie
AG
Quote:

Psssht ... Oh my God .. lol
Absolutely 100% without question could not be any further from the truth

And I'm not getting into my background... but trust me I'm right

LOYAL AG
AG
One of the best things we ever did for my son was hit soft toss with aspirin. We'd do it anytime he felt like he was having a hard time seeing the ball well. He said it always helped him refocus on simply seeing and reading the pitch. If you can hit an aspirin you can hit anything.
Sandman98
AG
LOYAL AG said:

One of the best things we ever did for my son was hit soft toss with aspirin. We'd do it anytime he felt like he was having a hard time seeing the ball well. He said it always helped him refocus on simply seeing and reading the pitch. If you can hit an aspirin you can hit anything.

Sunflower seeds are cheaper and they move more.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.