Texas A&M vs Texas head-to-head Record

4,678 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SBDavis87
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I noticed from the press releases from both 12thman.com and the Longhorn website that there is a discrepancy in the all-time head-to-head record. Texas listed it as 244-126-1 and A&M had it at 239-126-1. I compared the media guides for the both the Aggies and Longhorns and found that Texas has the following additional wins listed:

April 24, 1903 - Texas 6, A&M 2 in College Station
April 25, 1903 - Texas 7, A&M 1 in College Station
May 11, 1907 - Texas 7, A&M 3 at Austin
May 11, 1907 - Texas 2, A&M 1 at Austin
May 15, 1948 - Texas 3, A&M 2 at Austin

I did some digging and found the following:

1903 - A&M does not list the Aggies as fielding a team in 1903. The original team played in 1894, and then according to the media guide, the Aggies did not have a team until 1904. According to the 1903 Longhorn (http://bookreader.library.tamu.edu/book.php?id=yb1903&getbook=Go#page/n119/mode/2up), there was a team (official or club team I do not know) in 1903, and they were scheduled to play Texas in College Station on April 24th and 25th. I think the 1902 heading where the schedule is listed in the yearbook is a typo. I was not able to find a box score; The Daily Texan archives requires a $20 subscription to view, and the Cactus yearbook archives only go back to 1920.

1907 - These games did take place and unfortunately, the Aggies did lose both games. The Battalion includes write-ups and box scores for both in the May 15, 1907 issue.

1948 - This game did take place, and despite the efforts of Stan Hollmig the Aggies lost 3-2. The Battalion includes a write-up but not a box score in the May 17, 1948 issue.
evanpd16
Cool. now let's beat LSU
HoustonAg2106
AG
Wow, was this really important?
Mr.Ackar07
Sorry for having offended some of you.
nereus
AG
Few things on TexAgs are really important so that seems an awfully high bar for a TexAgs post. I appreciate your work and contribution. Good job!
SBDavis87
AG
NorCal
Nice work. BTHOtu
Lance Uppercut
AG
Interesting. I wonder what part of that is teams that were club teams vs. official teams. It looks like a few of them were just one of those things where it's easy to lose a record of what happened in a college baseball game played in 1903.
William_C_G
AG
Good research...even though I don't like the findings.
ABATTBQ87
AG

1903 Longhorn Yearbook

dixichkn
AG
Excellent research. But you know what matters to me personally?

9-6.

Suck it, sips.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I love looking up old stats/findings like this and you just saved me the research. Keep doing your thing.
ABATTBQ87
AG
1907 Longhorn

ABATTBQ87
AG
1948 Longhorn

agsalaska
AG
Good stuff
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Serious Lee
almost every team that we have a history with has a disputable accounting of the teams' series
W
AG
wonder why the 1948 game is disputed.

I can understand why the early century games would/could be questioned.

but just like in football...the series needs to be reset from 1975-to-present
W
AG
(of course thanks to most of the 80's and the late 00's...the rivalry record would still be skewed quite a bit in favor of the burnt orange)
BenFiasco14
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

1903 Longhorn Yearbook

Wonder if the old Ags from the late 19th century thought these new army Ags ruined everything
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
ABATTBQ87
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

1903 Longhorn Yearbook

Wonder if the old Ags from the late 19th century thought these new army Ags ruined everything

They weren't called Aggies in 1903
Mr.Ackar07
Walt Luddiger said:

almost every team that we have a history with has a disputable accounting of the teams' series
Correct. I like to read both teams' write-ups before a series. LSU claimed going into this series that the head-to-head record is 24-21-1 in favor of the Ags while A&M has it as 25-20-1.

LSU does not list the games by year in their media guide like the Ags and longhorns do.
Alpha Texan
AG
impressive research
Agsncws
AG
I know for certain those games are not contained within our official record listed by the NCAA and I'd be willing to bey anything that those games ARE listed within Texas' official records -as if it somehow counted for one and not the other. I kinda wish the schools would revert to a single definition of official with "NCAA governed games" being part of the criteria.
William_C_G
AG
I hope Mr. Acker continues his research and rediscovers the lost season of 1903.
SBDavis87
AG
https://share.icloud.com/photos/068wBCjCELnzvgHnTQhUwwl_Q#Fort_Lauderdale_-_Harbordale
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.