Olsen Tradition History - School Project

6,323 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by denied
Big Shooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
Thank you for that! I went back and found the thread for it on here but just needed the date. I really appreciate you tracking that down. Do you know if it was sent to all 12th Man donors or just baseball season ticket holders?
EVA3
AG
I went to games at Old Kyle Field and was at the first game at Olsen. Do you have contact information posted?
Bullpen Chias
AG
I don't know that. I'm both.
milner79
Not a tradition, per se, but interesting factoid: One of the first games in Olsen - if not the first? - was a exhibition between the Aggies and the Houston Astros, April 1978. Aggies won the contest 1-0.

I still have an autographed baseball from that game, names including Jose Cruz, Enos Cabell, J.R. Richard, Art Howe, Jesus Alou, Tery Puhl, Joe Sambito ...
ensign_beedrill
AG
If I ever get a time machine, I'm going back to witness some of this stuff.
schmellba99
AG
Best games I ever attended were when Aggie Alley was still in existence. We used to rag on the opposing team's left fielder mercilessly. Lots of good food, lots of beer, great times. Several of the players would come up after the game and give the group out there props for how creative we would get with messing with them.

I watched more games from outside the fence in left field than I did in the stands as a student.
Aggieangler93
AG
DodgerAg32 said:

Thank you for that! I went back and found the thread for it on here but just needed the date. I really appreciate you tracking that down. Do you know if it was sent to all 12th Man donors or just baseball season ticket holders?
It wasn't sent to all 12th man donors. I am one, and didn't get it. It was only sent to baseball season ticket holders from the prior year, I believe. Maybe some others, but not all TMF donors.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
My student email is richardzane32@tamu.edu
MB19
AG
milner79 said:

Not a tradition, per se, but interesting factoid: One of the first games in Olsen - if not the first? - was a exhibition between the Aggies and the Houston Astros, April 1978. Aggies won the contest 1-0.

I still have an autographed baseball from that game, names including Jose Cruz, Enos Cabell, J.R. Richard, Art Howe, Jesus Alou, Tery Puhl, Joe Sambito ...
That was in fact the opener for Olsen Field.

The first night game was vs. Southern Cal in 1980. I think we pitched our weekend staff that night. Game was a sellout or close to it. 1980 was the first time I believe that we hosted the SWC tournament. And went 2 & cue.

Bird Poo
AG
I was @ A&M from 96-00. Reading this thread makes me realize how much fun and unique that time period was for Aggie Baseball, because most of those traditions were going strong during that time.

I hope it continues. The tuxedo stunt is RED ASS.
BBGigem
AG
'89 and '90 and probably afterwards too, the Raggies would find one player on the other team and just torment them. Of course the rest of the team wasn't immune but there seemed to be at least one player receiving the main focus.

Arkansas '89. Bubba Carpenter. Raggies would count his practice swings "One Bubba, two Bubba, etc". That progressed to doing his steps "left, right, left, right". If he was on base and leading off, every time he would step back on the base there was a loud "Safe!". His every move was commented on. Bubba's brother was on the team too. So when he came up, it was "One Bubba's brother, two Bubba's brother". That was a great series. I met Bubba later and he loved the atmosphere and loved his time at Olsen.

UT Pan Am had a player who was a little "hefty". On his practice swings it was "One Shamu, two Shamu". He was a hot head and didn't like it one bit. He would yell back. Raggies got into his head.

One of my favorites was against UTA. Think it was '90 but could have been '89. Their center fielder was from the Bronx or Brooklyn NY. When he would come in from the outfield he would step on first and hop a little. As time went on the Raggies would cheer his little hop. Then he would do it on the way out to the outfield. By the end of the series he was hitting the bad and actually jumping and shuffling his legs in the air and the crowd would go wild.

Great times.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Roger Metzger said:

"Give em hell, Bill" is one of my favorite lines of all time. To me it says it all about old school Olsen.
Obviously, I agree.
AgRyan04
Two pages and no mention of E.L.F.s or the Rally Rooster?

GiveEmHellBill
AG
My oldest memory from Olsen was my fish year in spring of 91. We took the Friday and Saturday games from tu, so on Sunday my dormmates and I took some couches and put them outside the fence by our bullpen. We cooked up some burgers on a grill and chatted with some of the players before the game. A little while later, a couple of players came "jogging" along the track and stopped by us and we slipped them a burger through the chain link fence. We ended up sweeping the sips.

The next year, there was a schedule poster put out capturing the moment a home run was hit in that game. You can see Sittichoke Huckuntod ( I will never forget that name) jogging home from third and in the background you can see our group with brooms attached to the outfield fence.
Billy Heywood
In the early 80's we used to walk to Olsen for baseball games from the beef center, which was located back then just down the street from Olsen and across from the Kleberg building. We judged cattle right there on the lawn.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
BBGigem said:

'89 and '90 and probably afterwards too, the Raggies would find one player on the other team and just torment them. Of course the rest of the team wasn't immune but there seemed to be at least one player receiving the main focus.

Arkansas '89. Bubba Carpenter. Raggies would count his practice swings "One Bubba, two Bubba, etc". That progressed to doing his steps "left, right, left, right". If he was on base and leading off, every time he would step back on the base there was a loud "Safe!". His every move was commented on. Bubba's brother was on the team too. So when he came up, it was "One Bubba's brother, two Bubba's brother". That was a great series. I met Bubba later and he loved the atmosphere and loved his time at Olsen.

Great times.
I can't remember the name of the sip outfielder who was also a QB for their football team, He had thrown a couple of interceptions against the Ag's in football.

When he came to bat the chant was "One Interception, Two Interceptions etc
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I think Morenz and Gardere both played baseball.
Rongagin71
AG
First game I went to was in 1969, the grass was green green and still snug up against Kyle Field.
One "tradition" that has changed is that back then they passed around a bucket rather than sell tickets.
EVA3
AG
Sent you an email.
EVA3
AG
Rongagin71 said:

First game I went to was in 1969, the grass was green green and still snug up against Kyle Field.
One "tradition" that has changed is that back then they passed around a bucket rather than sell tickets.

My first few years of Aggie baseball were at Old Kyle Field too. I remember them passing a hat. Not sure if it was for admission or to pay the umpires. That used to be a common practice. I do remember Bryan High games at Travis Park where they passed a hat for the umpires.
Rongagin71
AG
EVA3 said:

Rongagin71 said:

My first few years of Aggie baseball were at Old Kyle Field too. I remember them passing a hat. Not sure if it was for admission or to pay the umpires. That used to be a common practice. I do remember Bryan High games at Travis Park where they passed a hat for the umpires.
Yeah, I saw hat passing earlier at HS games...but A&M was MODERN and used a light plastic bucket,
at least when I was there.
kill0509
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Two pages and no mention of E.L.F.s or the Rally Rooster?

Rest well tonight with no worries as the Rally Rooster is enjoying retirement! Once they took away Aggie Alley it became too difficult for travel. They sorta frown upon wheeling the giant box to the stands that he stays in. The box is an old drum case that we ripped the foam sides out of so that he could fit. You need a little room when you're an 18 pound rooster that required a turkey body form when they stuffed him...
duddleysdraw88
AG
Can you imagine trying to bring a fishing pole into Olsen nowadays?

Between innings while opposing teams would be warming up...... we would cast from the stands, one of those practice plugs out beyond the short stop or the second baseman and see if we could bump their feet or legs as we would reel the weight back in!

We lost a few to them stepping on and breaking them off of the line........until we started bringing extras and using heavier pound test line!!!!

Junction Boy
AG
I remember in '89, parking our trucks along the tracks and watching the game from the bed of our trucks and drinking Coors Light. Some jackass ruined it for us, and hopped on the train for a brief ride to Jersey(George Bush Dr.) /Welborn intersection. Train sped up, and his brief ride took him to Navasota.
Junction Boy
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

My oldest memory from Olsen was my fish year in spring of 91. We took the Friday and Saturday games from tu, so on Sunday my dormmates and I took some couches and put them outside the fence by our bullpen. We cooked up some burgers on a grill and chatted with some of the players before the game. A little while later, a couple of players came "jogging" along the track and stopped by us and we slipped them a burger through the chain link fence. We ended up sweeping the sips.

The next year, there was a schedule poster put out capturing the moment a home run was hit in that game. You can see Sittichoke Huckuntod ( I will never forget that name) jogging home from third and in the background you can see our group with brooms attached to the outfield fence.
Remember the wooden plaque someone made called the "Huck"O"meter"? Every time he would come up to bat, people would rub it for good luck. Good Bull.
AgsinGA
AG
This thread is awesome. Two items, your paper needs to be placed on this thread, as I am sure the stories are going to get better and better.

Second, I was a genius back in 84 as we had the Schuhmacher Dorm picture in Olsen in front of the scoreboard.

Great times at Olsen and these stories are great.
woodometer
AG
Junction Boy said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Remember the wooden plaque someone made called the "Huck"O"meter"? Every time he would come up to bat, people would rub it for good luck. Good Bull.
I might know the guy that made the Huck-O-Meter. It was the second in a series starting in 1990 with the Wood-O-Meter for catcher John Wood. John didnt have the highest batting average on the team but excelled at throwing guys out trying to steal second. His batting average was updated on the board after every at bat. As he came up to bat the entire front row of Raggies was jump up and yell "Woody" as he was introduced by DD. The third year the meter was named after Mike Hickey. Hick-O-Meter. Super nice guy from Hawaii. Mike got hurt and was out for a couple of months but we still brought the meter to every game. The pitching staff that year had a tendency to hit batters so every time a guy got plunked a target sticker went on the board. Curretn Aggie assistant Jason Hutchins was responsible for quite a few of the target stickers.

Somebody should really write a book.
Junction Boy
AG
woodometer said:

Junction Boy said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

I might know the guy that made the Huck-O-Meter. It was the second in a series starting in 1990 with the Wood-O-Meter for catcher John Wood. John didnt have the highest batting average on the team but excelled at throwing guys out trying to steal second. His batting average was updated on the board after every at bat. As he came up to bat the entire front row of Raggies was jump up and yell "Woody" as he was introduced by DD. The third year the meter was named after Mike Hickey. Hick-O-Meter. Super nice guy from Hawaii. Mike got hurt and was out for a couple of months but we still brought the meter to every game. The pitching staff that year had a tendency to hit batters so every time a guy got plunked a target sticker went on the board. Curretn Aggie assistant Jason Hutchins was responsible for quite a few of the target stickers.

Somebody should really write a book.
Yes. I remember that! "Woody!"

I also remember the tornado that touched down, just to the west of the airport. We all evacuated the stands and went into the locker rooms until it passed to our north. The Eagle had a picture of the tornado. The view was looking down Villa Maria Ave to the west. That was the first time I ever saw a tornado. Saw it from the raggie section at Olsen Field.
denied
The tornados! My mom and my sister went into Olsen to use the restroom. My dad and I waited in the car for them to come back and we were going to eat Subway in the parking lot before the game. We start hearing "foul balls from batting practice" bounce off the roof of the Olds 88. Then the team starts hanging out of the locker room door looking at us/behind us. It took a little while for my dad and I turn around to see what they are looking at; low and behold tornados! My mom and sister hurry back to the car and we get "followed" back home by up to four tornados. We eat our subs and shortly later DD calls us with an updated start time for the game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.