^^^^^2019 RPI Tracker^^^^^

27,641 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Serious Lee
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UPDATED ON MONDAYS IN NEW POSTS. THIS POST IS FOR GAMES THROUGH 3/18/19 ONLY

GAMES THROUGH 3/18

With conference play having started, I thought it might be time for the old RPI tracker.

RPI:Team (movement up or down) [Aggies' record in games played against them]

37. Texas A&M (+40)

15. Vanderbilt (+4) [2-1]
40. Gonzaga (+52) [2-1]
56. Houston (+48) [1-0]
59. DBU (-10) [0-1]
97. A&M-Corpus Christi (-21) [1-0]
116. SFA (-11) [1-0]
128. TCU (-4) [1-0]
146. Incarnate Word (+20) [0-1]
163. Baylor (-3) [1-0]
188. Abilene Christian (+46) [1-0]
217. Fordham (-44) [3-0]
238. Houston Baptist (-20) [1-0]
250. UIC (-10) [2-1]
296. Prairie View A&M (-10) [1-0]

Upcoming Schedule:

155. Rice (+3)
74. @Kentucky (+1)
221. Lamar (+2)
110. Missouri (+19)
23. @Texas (+9)
25. @LSU (+22)
58. Texas State (+4)
4. Auburn (+13)
56. @Houston (+48)
73. @South Carolina (-32)
92. UT Arlington (-27)
28. @Ole Miss (+3)
55. Sam Houston State (-25)
39. Mississippi State (+45)
47. @Alabama (+36)
12. Arkansas (+10)

RPI 1-25: (2-1)
RPI 26-50: (2-1)
RPI 51-100: (2-1)
RPI 101-200: (4-1)
RPI 200+: (7-1)
wareagle044
Not hosting yet
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious
wareagle044 said:

Not hosting yet
#37 would be a bubble team, right?
aeroag14
AG
6 more series against ranked teams, road series at USCe, LSU and OM and a midweek game in Austin will all be pretty big bumps to the RPI.

We were 13-17 in conference play heading into the SEC tourney last season and even then, despite the 13-17 record were a "bubble" team. If we can manage a .500 record in the SEC this season, I think we will be well on our way to not being a bubble team.
AggieFrog
AG
And with most of non-conference behind us, here's how teams in our area rank with their OOC SOS:

Tech 12
Rice 53
t.u. 85
A&M 93
LSU 114
Arkansas 136
TCU 235
OU 242
Baylor 276

Chrundle the Great
AG
AggieFrog said:

And with most of non-conference behind us, here's how teams in our area rank with their OOC SOS:

Tech 12
Rice 53
t.u. 85
A&M 93
LSU 114
Arkansas 136
TCU 235
OU 242
Baylor 276

SHOCKED that Baylor scheduled one of the weakest schedules in NCAA D1. Even having played us and DBU.
W
AG
it is strange seeing Florida with an RPI in the mid-30's. They are usually already in the top 3 at this point. But the Gators have taken quite a few early season losses (7)
W
AG
and once again Texas Tech...nobody can game the RPI like the Red Raiders can. Sitting at #3 despite already having 2 losing weekends in a season only 5 weeks old
twk
AG
ObviousLazyRiverIsObvious said:

wareagle044 said:

Not hosting yet
#37 would be a bubble team, right?
Yes, at the end of the season, an SEC team with an RPI in the 30s is usually a bubble team. The RPI number is high enough compared to other at large teams, but that usually translates into a .500 or sub .500 record (finish with a better SEC record, and it's hard to end up lower than the 20s).
AggieBiker
AG
Thanks for the work Lance.
OKCAGS
Tech HAS to game the system .... because once they get to conference play they can not improve on it . Having already played tu ..... they will only fall throughout the rest of the season .
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

and once again Texas Tech...nobody can game the RPI like the Red Raiders can. Sitting at #3 despite already having 2 losing weekends in a season only 5 weeks old
They've played a difficult non-conference schedule. Its no secret. Its not even creative. Its what plenty of other programs do, too. I wouldn't call that "gaming" in the usual sense of the word.

I'm not sure why you talk every year about winning/losing "weekends." It doesn't matter for the RPI and there isn't really a reason to believe the NCAA committee cares, either.
Adam87inSA
AG
Big disconnect between SEC voter national rankings and RPI. I guess that shouldn't be a shock at this early stage, where RPI is still quite volatile.
CapCityAg89
AG
Texas at 85 is going to have to win a bunch of games in that league.
Luke The Drifter
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Texas is 23 overall in the RPI. Their non-conference RPI is 85. If Texas keeps winning (which they should...the Big 12 isn't strong this year), they'll not only host but likely be a high national seed. That's just the way it works.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
CapCityAg89
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Texas is 23 overall in the RPI. Their non-conference RPI is 85. If Texas keeps winning (which they should...the Big 12 isn't strong this year), they'll not only host but likely be a high national seed. That's just the way it works.

Thanks. Misread.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Usually I edit the first post....but for keeping the history of the in-season RPI ups and downs, I'll just make a new post

Through Games March 24, 2019

RPI:Team (movement up or down) [Aggies' record in games played against them]

19. Texas A&M (+18)

4. Vanderbilt (+11) [2-1]
27. DBU (+24) [0-1]
31. Gonzaga (+9) [2-1]
77. @Kentucky (-3) [3-0]
80. Houston (-24) [1-0]
89. Baylor (+74) [1-0]
97. TCU (+31) [1-0]
109. Incarnate Word (+37) [0-1]
111. A&M-Corpus Christi (-14) [1-0]
131. SFA (-15) [1-0]
147. Rice (+8) [1-0]
207. Abilene Christian (-19) [1-0]
214. Fordham (+3) [3-0]
221. Houston Baptist (+17) [1-0]
225. UIC (+25) [2-1]
298. Prairie View A&M (-2) [1-0]

Upcoming Schedule:

186. Lamar (+35)
67. Missouri (+43)
16. @Texas (+7)
20. @LSU (+5)
75. Texas State (-21)
6. Auburn (-2)
80. @Houston (-24)
44. @South Carolina (+29)
85. UT Arlington (+7)
48. @Ole Miss (-20)
35. Sam Houston State (+20)
18. Mississippi State (+21)
57. @Alabama (-10)
3. Arkansas (+9)

RPI 1-25: (2-1)
RPI 26-50: (2-2)
RPI 51-100: (6-0)
RPI 101-200: (3-1)
RPI 200+: (8-1)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Wow, so after Lamar tonight, we have nobody left currently outside the Top 100.
AvidAggie
AG
Gonzaga staying above 50 would be nice
W
AG
there's a 3-pack of teams in the top 12..because of whom they have played...as opposed to whom they have actually beaten. (i.e. phony RPI's):

#9 Tech
#10 Oregon
#11 Tennessee

Oregon at 12-9 is the worst of the bunch and they are propping up Tech's RPI at the moment. The Ducks have suffered 3 losing weekends. The Vols play Vandy next. And could possibly lose the series and still hold their position in the rankings
W
AG
and speaking of Gonzaga...interesting goings on with the west coast mid-majors:

#8 UCSB
#21 Pepperdine
#31 Gonzaga

will they be able to hold those positions or will conference play drag them down. The more midweek games they play against the Pac-12 the better
OnlyForNow
AG
I thought tech was still pretty good?
greg.w.h
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Wow, so after Lamar tonight, we have nobody left currently outside the Top 100.

Bears repeating!!!

Thanks Lance!! Great legwork to summarize all of this and refresh it. You're AWESOME!!!
Ragoo
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

W said:

They've played a difficult non-conference schedule. Its no secret. Its not even creative. Its what plenty of other programs do, too. I wouldn't call that "gaming" in the usual sense of the word.

I'm not sure why you talk every year about winning/losing "weekends." It doesn't matter for the RPI and there isn't really a reason to believe the NCAA committee cares, either.
because when it matters baseball is a game of series wins. Losing series 1-2 against good teams doesn't make you a good team.
dermdoc
AG
Has there ever been a SEC team with a .500 conference record or better not make the tourney?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
Ragoo said:

TXAggie2011 said:

W said:

because when it matters baseball is a game of series wins. Losing series 1-2 against good teams doesn't make you a good team.
My point is really just that the RPI doesn't care about "weekends" and its strange to call Tech's RPI "phony" or "gamed" because of that.

But, is a "series" what matters? A series matters seems to me to matter twice in the college baseball season---the super regional and the CWS championship series.

The conference standings don't count series wins. The conference tournament isn't won via a series. The regional isn't won that way. Most of the CWS isn't won that way. Its a post about their RPI in a thread about RPI. The RPI certainly doesn't care. There's no indication the selection committee really cares, either.

(But to be clear, one of those "weekends" wasn't a series. It was 2 games against 2 different teams.)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if you went back to a time when the SEC wasn't so dominant and the tournament wasn't as large. But I doubt it in recent history.
dermdoc
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you went back to a time when the SEC wasn't so dominant and the tournament wasn't as large. But I doubt it in recent history.
I guess I should have said since we were in the SEC. Sorry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXAggie2011
AG
dermdoc said:

Has there ever been a SEC team with a .500 conference record or better not make the tourney?
Kentucky and Alabama did not make the tournament in 2017 despite each having a 15-15 record. Missouri in 2016 did not make the tournament despite a 15-15 conference record.

For what it is worth...

Kentucky ended up 15-16 after the SEC tournament. Alabama and Missouri ended up 16-17 after the SEC tournament.
nereus
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I thought tech was still pretty good?

I haven't seen them play, but they probably are. They have mostly taken care of business against teams they should beat but mostly lost to the few good teams they have played. Those games against tough teams is a small sample size and they played them close (at least score wise). They are actually in about the same position resume wise as they were at this point last year. I would assume they are pretty good again this year even though they haven't proved they can hang with the top teams yet (which doesn't mean they can't).
dermdoc
AG
Thanks
Ragoo
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Ragoo said:

TXAggie2011 said:

W said:

My point is really just that the RPI doesn't care about "weekends" and its strange to call Tech's RPI "phony" or "gamed" because of that.

But, is a "series" what matters? A series matters seems to me to matter twice in the college baseball season---the super regional and the CWS championship series.

The conference standings don't count series wins. The conference tournament isn't won via a series. The regional isn't won that way. Most of the CWS isn't won that way. Its a post about their RPI in a thread about RPI. The RPI certainly doesn't care. There's no indication the selection committee really cares, either.

(But to be clear, one of those "weekends" wasn't a series. It was 2 games against 2 different teams.)
who have they beat that you would say "yep their resume is better than ours."
Luke The Drifter
AG
dermdoc said:

Remember, the SEC was not strong at all until LSU became powerful in the early '90s. Alabama and Georgia...and to an extent Mississippi State...carried the banner for the SEC for years and even then, they were not consistently great. Not saying the SEC has ever been a bad baseball league...but it was LSU's run that ignited the SEC's run of power.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
dermdoc
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

dermdoc said:

Remember, the SEC was not strong at all until LSU became powerful in the early '90s. Alabama and Georgia...and to an extent Mississippi State...carried the banner for the SEC for years and even then, they were not consistently great. Not saying the SEC has ever been a bad baseball league...but it was LSU's run that ignited the SEC's run of power.

Agree but I can just not see the SEC not being dominant unless something changes dramatically. More money, more TVs, more fans than any other conference. I can see the ACC, Big 12, and Pac 12 having several good teams but the money differential is just going to continue to grow.
TempleAg97
AG
Love this thread. Thanks for all your hard work in putting it together.

We know 95 percent of the time the committee still sees RPI as the almighty end all. The other five percent is a moving target like when we didn't get a National seed because we had a hurt player or we were the only ones skipped in RPI, geography, and a little other BS. But this is a thread about RPI and a darn good one.

I think the Ags are set up well in regards to RPI if they do their part.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.