AGGIES Softball vs Auburn - Run Ruled in 1/2 Inning

27,315 Views | 176 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgDad77
BrokenLFarms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Leading 4-0 going to the bottom of the 6th...
Thus far Kendall Potts had just given up 0 runs; 4 hits and 3 BB.

Then...the combination of poor pitching, bad defense and poor pitching (said twice on purpose) Happened.

Potts allows one run and leaves with the bases loaded and no outs
Score now 4-1
Enter Mcbride
Allows 5 runs, on two hits, two walks...does get 2 outs
Score now 6-4
Enter Mayo
Bases loaded
8 STRAIGHT BALLS
2 Runs score via walk
Score now 8-4
Enter Potts
Bases remain loaded
Grand Slam
GAME OVER via RUN RULE
12-4
Thats 12 runs in the bottom of the 6th....

Summary:
Speechless.
jmcfar_98
AG
That was the worst display of softball that I've seen. Totally disgusting. Our pitching is horrible.
Artimus Gordon
Only way to describe that is, "embarrassing".
rwtxag83
AG
Wow.

Time for some real soul searching. Hope they figure it out.

I refuse to believe our team is that bad, or that Auburn is that much better.
Greater love hath no man than this....
hillcountryag86
AG
Wow!
aggiewilliford
Evans is in trouble.
hillcountryag86
AG
aggiewilliford said:

Evans is in trouble.

Yep. About as bad as it gets.
Austin Ag
AG
Host or toast.
lbasham
AG
Intentional walk showed a lack of confidence in Potts who was doing fine imho.
ashleymac
The intentional walk call was horrible coaching. Horrible.

There is absolutely zero excuse for what just happened.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Mmmmmkay
hillcountryag86
AG
yell_on_6th st said:

Mmmmmkay

Are you responding to ashleymac about zero excuse??
country
AG
We opened conference play going 1-5 and being out scored 20-56. That is bad bad bad. There is absolutely no excuse for a major Texas team to not be able to field one of the best every year. I have a soft spot for Evans but the state of the program is unforgivable.
rugger74
AG
Evans is not on the hot seat or in trouble. This is a rebuilding year with lots of new faces. Next year with better pitching arriving will be the test year on her longevity or lack of one. Another factor is how this team responds to losses and not completely cave, but Evans still gets next season.
hillcountryag86
AG
rugger74 said:

Evans is not on the hot seat or in trouble.

Well, she should be.
Rambotx
Team was snake bit in the 6TH Inning.
Basketball and Chain
AG
How can her seat not be hot? We haven't won a conference championship (regular season or tournament) since 2008. We've been well under .500 since joining the SEC, and our best conference finish was t-3. We've been to the WCWS once in the last decade and weren't competitive. It's pretty obvious we aren't going to be elite under Jo. She's a good coach and accomplished a lot for our program, but our best years with her are behind us and the program has gone stale.
bub90
AG
The question is why is it a rebuilding year? Would a rebuilding year be acceptable at this point in the tenure of men's sport coach?
Serious Lee
rugger74 said:

Evans is not on the hot seat or in trouble. This is a rebuilding year with lots of new faces. Next year with better pitching arriving will be the test year on her longevity or lack of one. Another factor is how this team responds to losses and not completely cave, but Evans still gets next season.
this sounds eerily familiar to how the mens hoops outlook was last year. the better pitching line is something weve been told far too often, dumezich was mrs indiana and was just okay, macrandle and show were supposed to be aces and we know how that turned out.

id be really nervous if i were evans after seeing how the bill kennedy situation unfolded.
sharpdressedman
The team should get bonus runs for making it to the 7th inning.
Mr. Ectomy
AG
If you have a young team and no stud pitcher, it's gonna be hard to keep up in a powerful league like the SEC.

SeenNotHeard
AG
Raise a hand if you are posting on this thread and have been to more than 1 game this season in person.
mullokmotx
AG
Have given up 56 runs, 44 earned, in 6 SEC games. Walked 25 and hit 8 for a total of 33 free passes.
Walls and Martinez are 1 for 23 in those 6 games.
Sartain has played short before so maybe some other players could be tried at second and third. I think Elder played some games at third last year when Sartain was sick and I think Garcia was playing second in the fall.
Every SEC team has made the NCAA Tournament the last 2 years and the fewest conference wins those two years was 6. We need to find a way to win 5 of our remaining 18 conference games and end up with a winning record overall.
mullokag
sharpdressedman
SeenNotHeard said:

Raise a hand if you are posting on this thread and have been to more than 1 game this season in person.
The tenor of your question is argumentative.

Perhaps your question would be more meaningful if you asked who has not seen a game, viewed the box scores/statistics, read the media coverage, or followed the program for years.
HiddenAg2
Most knew that this was going to be a rough season for Evans after last year's defections and lack of signing an elite pitcher. Potts hasn't worked out and McBride isn't having a good year. A&M is going to have a .500 overall record or worse and it will be the worst season for Evans in 23 years. The only question left is whether Woodward will look at this as a transition year and give Evans next year to right the ship or if he will use this opportunity to get an elite coach. A&M really hasn't recovered from the epic meltdowns against Florida in the SR.
SeenNotHeard
AG
My point was that most of the posters on this thread just come around to beat up on a team they don't normally show support for when things are good.
chrishuff
AG
We need to face facts, it's only going to get worse...Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee. Throw in Missouri and Arkansas, who will give TAMU a run for their money, and the people who know softball understand this is not going to be a good year. I think the "rebuilding" talk is hogwash. The offense has potential, and this is a young team, but Evans does not have the pitching staff to compete in the SEC. Unless she can get the elite pitchers the other SEC powerhouses seem to have no trouble getting/developing, more of the same lies ahead. TAMU will be "rebuilding" every year. I saw in an earlier post that none of the TAMU coaches were pitchers in their playing days. I'm not sure how much this counts, but it is an interesting observation. Evans runs a good program and seems to recruit good kids, but that won't win an SEC championship, much less a ticket to the WCWS.
country
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

My point was that most of the posters on this thread just come around to beat up on a team they don't normally show support for when things are good.

I live 4 hours from CS and have 3 kids in jr high and high school sports so I don't get to come to College Station much anymore. That said, I was a contributor to the new complex and am a season ticket holder. I've been to three games this year and have watched all other games in streaming. I think I am more supportive of the softball program than all but a handful of former students regardless of how many games I make it to in person every year.
hillcountryag86
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

So, stating the obvious isn't allowed unless we've attended more than one game??? Good grief.
Captain Pablo
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

Ooooooooo.... got us
ashleymac
Eight year season ticket holder here. Been going to games even longer and I attend the WCWS every year. Point being I watch a lot of softball from not so great up to the best of the best every year.

We can't get elite pitchers because it's been proven that Coach Evans hasn't figured out how to manage a pitching* staff and all the pitchers know that. I don't think Dill never pitching is the problem since she's been trained by two of the best pitching coaches in the business: Lawson at Kentucky and Torina at LSU.

As I see it Coach Evans just hasn't let her coaching evolve as the game has. Until she catches up with that we're going to continue to be just "ok" at best.

I'm not calling for her head or anything but something has to change.
Wicked Good Ag
AS a coach of another sport I always look for an assistant who can bring something new and different then I can to the table whether it be a coaching drill, philosophy or how to run an organization. No need for "yes man"

I don't think that is the issue with Evans more of a this has worked for years continue even if it doesn't mean innovative. Corbellis in VB were the same way and one bad season ended their 25 year run at TAMU. I hope that isn't the case in a new facility for Evans without an opportunity to right the ship.
leftcoastaggie
AG
Our transfer catcher from Utah is playing second base. Been a big red flag since the beginning of the season.
Skull Session
Our 2B & SS are 0 for the SEC, Average fielders at the bottom of the order. If you are weak up the middle you are not going to win many if any games in the SEC and we are weak.

Kaitlyn Alderink was the 2b last year and a Junior, so she had one more year in the new facility. What happened to her, did she transfer out like so many of the others, or were things so bad that she just quit softball? I can't imagine after playing three years in the old place she wouldn't want to play her final season at Davis Diamond. I guess it wasn't that important to her?

It's odd that some say Show wasn't a good enough pitcher, when she is doing quite well at Okie State. And MacGrandle has transferred to Oregon of all places. We are left with McBride and Mayo. Mayo can't find the strike zone and McBride gets boxed around like a batting practice pitcher. Who the hell is running the show over there?

The Auburn debacle was reminiscent of the UCLA/Sumlin disaster. Because of that she should be on the hotseat this year. There is no excuse for that. And how the heck does a coach that has been here for 20 plus years not be prepared for the first year in a new stadium? Does she wake up in a new world everyday?

Someone on here said she hasn't "evolved". How do you justify keeping someone around that can't adjust?
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Let's evaluate our staff?
Joy J been with Evans 23 years. Outfield, infield, and base running?

Dill- 3 years. Pitching coach and slappers. (Why is she not the hitting coach based on her own accolades as a player?)

Stein- 2'years hitting coach - former baseball player at TAMU and married Bailey Schroeder a former softball player.

How does that conpair to other programs in sec?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.