Historical Batting Averages/ Slugging %

6,993 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The offense hasn't been very......good. I was thinking they seemed worse than any offense I could remember...so I decided to check.

The need for extra base hits and the lack thereof this season has been apparent, so I'll be doing a list of averages and slugging% lowest to highest.

Bolded years are the "dead bat" years, dotted line denotes the coaching change from Johnson to Childress.

2019 - .255
2018- .285
2017- .273
2016- .311
2015- .299
2014- .288
2013- .270
2012- .288
2011- .291
2010- .300
2009- .298
2008- .314
2007- .314
2006- .255
---------------
2005- .274
2004- .300
2003- .303
2002- .286
2001- .289
2000- .280

Slugging:

2019- .352
2018- .419
2017- .411
2016- .466
2015- .457
2014- .381
2013- .370
2012- .385
2011- .402
2010- .459
2009- .484
2008- .501
2007- .472
2006- .358
-------------
2005- .380
2004- .430
2003- .455
2002- .422
2001- .407
2000- .414
Lance Uppercut
AG
Also averages and slugging remained higher through the mid-90s (I got tired of typing it out, but you can imagine that would be true during the gorilla ball era).

So I was wondering where we stood next to light-hitting years (that I could remember) such as 2006 (which was a tough transition year) and 2012 (which was a dead bat year).

And we're pretty well behind even those seasons. Worst of all, those are end of year stats. The 2019 stats are after one game against Vanderbilt (whose starter had a 5+ ERA) and a whole conference slate of SEC pitching left to face for the next 2.5 months.
Rock1982
AG
Facts can be hard, but it is good for us all to see the truth.

Thanks for the analysis.
ConLaw
AG
Stats bear out the eyeball test: we suck at the plate.
Raggie21
Can we get On-base instead of Batting average if available? It's probablt only available for the Will Bolt years but would still like to see it. Batting average is obsolete but it's all we probably have for the early Childress and Johnson years.

Another thing about the eyeball test, all of their players have more muscle more than our players. I was really disappointed that some players like Shewmake didn't add more weight this offseason and it shows in the lack slugging percentage.
DTP02
AG
Good research. Would be interested in OBP comparison as well, but thanks for doing the legwork. It confirms what all of our eyes are already telling us- this is probably the weakest offensive team in recent memory.

And we will have to heat up considerably just to maintain this tepid pace as we face better pitching.

I do hold out some slim hope that we may hit some of the hard-throwing SEC pitchers better than some of the softer tossing mid-major guys, or at least not see as much of a drop off against better quality pitchers as one might expect.
Serious Lee
OPS national ranking compared to our conference mates

OPS
5 - Georgia
7 - Vandy
11 - Tennessee
14 - South Carolina
16 - Arkansas
20 - Miss State
21 - Ole Miss
30 - LSU
32 - Florida
34 - Mizzou
35 - Bama
47 - Kentucky
75 - Auburn
*huge drop*
169 - A&M
Mr.Ackar07
OBP

2019 - .353
2018 - .364
2017 - .356
2016 - .388
2015 - .388
2014 - .362
2013 - .340
2012 - .369
Mark Fairchild
AG
Wow, just wow. Knew the percentages weren't great, but to see the numbers is extremely sobering to say the least.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Bondag
AG
Can we get an update?
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Aggies actually hit .240 on the weekend, but they did some other things well at the plate that got them a couple of wins.

1. They walked a ton. Aggie batters got a walk 18 times this weekend, good for 2nd best in the conference.Their OBP was third in conference.

2. They didn't hit themselves into a single double play....which leads to

3. They got a number of big hits with runners on, including a few extra base hits in those situations. There have been so many times this year that it seems like we have bases loaded or a guy on third and didn't find a way to score. Well, we found it over and over again this weekend.

It's also worth pointing out .240 was good for #6 (top half) of batting averages overall on the weekend and that only one team finished Week 1 hitting over .300 (Miss. St.).

I'm hoping the success and the role the offense played in the comeback against the #1 team is a big confidence booster and shows the team that they can hang with all these other tough teams left on the schedule. There was a clutch factor in play this weekend that I hope sticks around.
aeroag14
AG
It seems like a few guys are hitting their stride right now.

First of All Shewmake has been hitting pretty well for the last couple weeks. This weekend was no exception (4 or 5 hits on the weekend). That in and of itself has been big.

But beyond that, Ty Condel and Ty Coleman are both swinging it very nice right now.

And then you have the guy who I feel the most comfortable of any batter on the team in Cam Blake.

Those are all big developments for this team.

Even if everyone is clicking, it isnt like this offense is going to be 2016 level good or even one of the elite SEC batting squads. But if everyone can hit their groove, you are looking at a team that I think can be a middle of the pack team offensively in this league. And given our pitching and the pretty solid fielding we have had, you have to think that is going to make us a tough out for any team in the SEC.

Finally, one of the biggest things I think we have going for us right now is that we get (arguably) the two worst SEC teams in our next two weeks. If we can take advantage of that, maybe going 5-1. We can really position ourselves well for the meat of conference play. If we could go into week 4 with a 7-2 SEC record, getting to that 18ish win range in conference play becomes extremely reasonable and plausible.
DTP02
AG
Vandy gave up a lot of "free" bases this weekend via walks, HBP, and errors , and we can't count on good SEC teams being that sloppy all season, but some of those walks really were hard-earned.

To me, other than Ducoff coming thru with some huge hits, the offensive success from the weekend was epitomized by a couple of epic at bats from Hoehner on Sat which resulted in walks.
SchizoAg
AG
I think the scouting report on the Ags is to throw a guy with an 80 mph fastball against them.
VegasAg86
AG
Time for an update.

Since the Minute Maid tournament might be interesting, too.
W
AG
so a month later...

the team batting average is .259

and the team slugging % is .361

both numbers are a little bit higher than they were on March 15th / before the start of conference play.

but both numbers are still on track for historic lows in recent program history
nortex97
AG
I was really looking forward to seeing who WOODWARD would bring in next. Damn.
hunter2012
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

OPS
5 - Georgia
7 - Vandy
11 - Tennessee
14 - South Carolina
16 - Arkansas
20 - Miss State
21 - Ole Miss
30 - LSU
32 - Florida
34 - Mizzou
35 - Bama
47 - Kentucky
75 - Auburn
*huge drop*
169 - A&M
Not to be too hard on the bats but this comes to mind.

TAM85
Does anyone keep an RBI per ab stat?
Lance Uppercut
AG
Checking back in....the Aggies are now 1 point lower in batting average (.254) and slugging .363
W
AG
safe to say that tonight's 1 for 28 showing at the plate...did not help the ol' team batting average
Adam87inSA
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

OPS
5 - Georgia
7 - Vandy
11 - Tennessee
14 - South Carolina
16 - Arkansas
20 - Miss State
21 - Ole Miss
30 - LSU
32 - Florida
34 - Mizzou
35 - Bama
47 - Kentucky
75 - Auburn
*huge drop*
169 - A&M

My God.
mullokmotx
AG
I count 18 for 132 for a .136 batting average in these last 4 losses.
Mas89
AG
Time to shake up the lineup. Give some kids on the bench a start today.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Hitting .254
Slugging .363

So still on track for the worst average, but those late XBH puts them slightly ahead of the worst slugging group.
B25
Do you really think RC is going to give some players on the bench a chance to hit and prove themselves??
he may give them a game or 1-2 AB's.
But realistically that's not enough!!
He plays his favorites and will stick with them.
That's the problem!
_mpaul
AG
It's all mental. Just like our errors at the worst times.
W
AG
mildly disconcerting to think about the 2020 team's slugging %...when subtracting Shewmake's .480 slugging % from the mix
94chem
W said:

mildly disconcerting to think about the 2020 team's slugging %...when subtracting Shewmake's .480 slugging % from the mix
Time warp notwithstanding, it's disconcerting that removing .480 would have much of an effect.
BoozingAg
I think we know what's coming next season, with how the season likely goes and a new AD in place
I already have a dog
AG
What makes this worse is that this team makes a large number of outs on the base paths for a team that gets on base so rarely.

Don't have stats to back it up but they also seem decidedly unclutch. I'd guess that Batting average actually goes down on the rare occasions they get guys in scoring position.

Finally, it's not like we have a bunch of all world defensive players who can somewhat make up for being below average hitters. We somehow have a team of average to below average fielders with below average to awful bats.

Btw: I don't intend any of this personally. Everyone seems to be good guys who represent the Ags well off the field. Just wish we were more productive on the field.
Billy Heywood
I enjoy following the baseball forum, especially threads started by Lance. Always learn a lot. Updated team stats as of today for conference and overall.

https://12thman.com/documents/2019/4/14/conference_2019.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/tamu.sidearmsports.com/documents/2019/2/15/Season_Stats.pdf
AgEng06
AG
Ouch. Not one hitter over .300 in conference (and only 1 overall at .307 - Shew).
ordRV80
AG
Deloach and Frizzell below Mendoza and they are starters.

No way to get around that.
Soldier, Statesman, Knightly Gentleman
Wicked Good Ag
I Honk we are 24-1 maybe 25-1 when we score five or more runs in a game. Knowing that manufacturing a run here and there would go a long way but we cannot manufacturer runs once we get the leadoff runner on a consistent basis
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.