Good to hear Dave again on the air ...

2,784 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggies2009
rrtodds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't imagine AM calling baseball ... Good to hear the good old familiar voice of Dave South. Waiting for the first ... "that guy".

Other favorite Dave/isms to listen for???
MROD92
aeroag14
AG
Spent a few years out of state (in Arizona). Just moved back this past fall.

One of the best memories of living in the desert was being "forced" to listen to A&M baseball games on the radio while I was still at work (Arizona is the only state that doesn't for daylight savings, so half of baseball season, Arizona is two hours behind Texas).

Absolutely love Dave calling a baseball game. Growing up an Ag, I've always been a fan of Dave, but baseball is where he really shines!

Now that I'm back in Texas, I love being able to watch full games on tv. But, I'll probably miss listening to Dave on the reg
Bocephus
AG
Walked into the bathroom at the park and Dave came on as they started the 4th inning. Was definitely nice to hear his voice.
Capitol Ag
AG
Dave South! To me he is Texas Aggie Baseball. I've listened to him since I was in school (when I wasn't at a game). So glad he still does baseball.
JRB78
_mpaul
AG
Perfect voice for Aggie baseball.
W
AG
Dave definitely sounded refreshed --- the lighter workload helped
AgFan1999
AG
Once listened to a game from Houston back to College Station - didn't hear a score once.
MidnightYell2003
_mpaul
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Once listened to a game from Houston back to College Station - didn't hear a score once.
I'd guess that has more to do with your listening ability than his play-by-play.
AgFan1999
AG
Nope. He described the game action great - just didn't mention the score for 4-5 innings.
Bondag
AG
And now we get Dave in February and March. Was nice to hear him since I was driving around town most of the game.
TAMU1990
AG
It was like an old comfy blanket - welcome back Dave! It made me happy to hear him.
Bocephus
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

It was like an old comfy blanket - welcome back Dave! It made me happy to hear him.

This. Just sounds right
txag72
AG
Ah, the baseball board vs the basketball board. What a difference. Something actually positive being said.
aggiepublius
AG
AgFan1999 said:

Nope. He described the game action great - just didn't mention the score for 4-5 innings.
I have heard Dave talk about this issue.

For baseball*, his goal is to mention the score and the runners on bases (if applicable), with every change of batter.

Once I started listening particularly at the point when he tries to do it, I realized he is pretty consistent. And realized I was mistaken when I thought he wasn't giving the score for long periods. I also realized he is better than many out there as well as he seems to have a plan.

He admitted he isn't perfect on this, especially if there is a guest in the booth. But even in yesterdays breakout inning, with A.C. in the booth telling stories, Dave was slipping in the score.

Dave also shared when I heard him a story about driving in a long trip with his wife and getting angry they guy wasn't giving the score to the game they were listening to. He vented on this and his wife quickly pointed out the guy had just shared the score and he had missed it.

* For football: He said he tried to give the score and time once each set of downs and into/out of commercial breaks. But I think this was harder since the sets of downs could vary and rate of game changes during the game.
For basketball: it was score and time after each bucket and each change of possession.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've experienced the same issue. Many times.
It's not listening ability.

"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Aggieangler93
AG
I like hearing Dave, and I think we all do, even with his occasional odd saying, or gap in announcing the score. I guess it's mainly about tradition for me. I can't recall anyone else ever announcing Aggie baseball since I was at A&M.

Don't get me wrong....I love listening to Boomer and used to love Coach Johnson on TV also. What I hate, is corndog Ben, when we are forced to deal with him and the stories of our detestable bullpen and horrid fans.

But over the radio, I like Dave.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Gibbs Slap
Aggies2009
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I like hearing Dave, and I think we all do, even with his occasional odd saying, or gap in announcing the score. I guess it's mainly about tradition for me. I can't recall anyone else ever announcing Aggie baseball since I was at A&M.

Don't get me wrong....I love listening to Boomer and used to love Coach Johnson on TV also. What I hate, is corndog Ben, when we are forced to deal with him and the stories of our detestable bullpen and horrid fans.

But over the radio, I like Dave.
Careful. Aggie was there and he remembers specifically the beers, switchblades, live grenades, and thermonuclear weapons being thrown at Ben. And our fans are just the worst whiners for not wanting to sit and listen to someone lie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.