How are we feeling about the 2019 baseball season?

6,076 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Foxo
Wildman15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good? Bad? Indifferent? It's been a hot minute since I've ventured over here, but curious on what y'all's thoughts are.

*yes. I was too lazy to try to read thru this board
rwhitlock3
AG
I am feeling slightly optimistic. I think we have two stud pitchers (Doxaxis and Lacy) to carry us on Friday Nights and Saturday nights and feel they will be able to match up well with just about any other pitcher they face in SEC play. On offense, I have heard it is a faster team so I hope to see some more stolen bases and small this year as last year I didn't feel like we created enough offense, just relied on doubles and homers to bring everyone in. We will miss Helman, but evidently the Ole Miss transfer Bryce Blum has been really good and will be the new 2B and potentially lead off hitter. I will have my eye on Shewmake this year. Last year, wasn't bad by any means, but we need him to hit to the opposite field and be GREAT, not just good. Hopefully Foster, Coleman, Frizzell can be a little more consistent and provide power. Couple that with Deloach adding some muscle this offseason and it could be a special year.

Bullpen is a little unsettled but we have some electric arms to plug in. Just have to see if they can handle the pressure and how their control is...

However, I am predicting a regional appearance but not to make it to the Supers again unless it really all comes together for the offense (several .300+ hitters 1-9 in the order) and we can find a very reliable 3rd starter.
jt2hunt
AG
Super regional
Too Much pitching not too!
FearNoWeevil
AG
Can't get here quick enough!
tk for tu juan
I'm suddenly ready for baseball and track & field to start, I don't know why
Wildman15
AG
Baseball season can't get here fast enough
Agsncws
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

However, I am predicting a regional appearance but not to make it to the Supers again unless it really all comes together for the offense (several .300+ hitters 1-9 in the order) and we can find a very reliable 3rd starter.

Pretty much this. Tell me how the offense is and I'll tell you how far we go. I think it's imperative that our front line pitchers stay healthy and effective.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Hop
Staff
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

I am feeling slightly optimistic. I think we have two stud pitchers (Doxaxis and Lacy) to carry us on Friday Nights and Saturday nights and feel they will be able to match up well with just about any other pitcher they face in SEC play. On offense, I have heard it is a faster team so I hope to see some more stolen bases and small this year as last year I didn't feel like we created enough offense, just relied on doubles and homers to bring everyone in. We will miss Helman, but evidently the Ole Miss transfer Bryce Blum has been really good and will be the new 2B and potentially lead off hitter. I will have my eye on Shewmake this year. Last year, wasn't bad by any means, but we need him to hit to the opposite field and be GREAT, not just good. Hopefully Foster, Coleman, Frizzell can be a little more consistent and provide power. Couple that with Deloach adding some muscle this offseason and it could be a special year.

Bullpen is a little unsettled but we have some electric arms to plug in. Just have to see if they can handle the pressure and how their control is...

The lineup top-to-bottom should be stronger. Shewmake is healthy and looks more like his 2017 self than 2018. Blaum is as good as Helman at the plate. Major upgrade at catcher both offensively and defensively. I think this lineup will hit for more average than last year. Deloach is showing more power. The only thing the offense lacks is the proven big power bat in the No. 4 hole. Someone to watch is grad transfer Jonathan Ducoff. He has been hot all fall and hitting behind Shewmake for the Pinstripes.
technoviking
AG
After tonight I'll take any kind of baseball season. Please.
Leander - Ag
AG
Ready for baseball
jt2hunt
AG
How is Frizzel looking?
Hop
Staff
AG
jt2hunt said:

How is Frizzel looking?
He's been limited in the field with some lower leg strain or tweak. He usually plays DH and runs half-speed to 1st. He's had some nice hits, but I wouldn't say he's had any type of a break-out fall that leads me to believe he'll be a middle of the order guy...just yet. let's see what he does in he spring when he's 100%. I will say, if Frizzell can hit .300 and hit with power, that would be the last missing piece of this offense. I think the batting order has everything else top-to-bottom...average, speed, gap power. Just need a big bopper in the No. 4 hole.
wareagle044
I feel Omaha
aggiepaintrain
AG
I am grateful we haven't had a baseball season like we've had 4 out of the past 5 years of football.
FJB
Aggies2009
AG
rwhitlock3 said:

On offense, I have heard it is a faster team so I hope to see some more stolen bases and small this year as last year I didn't feel like we created enough offense, just relied on doubles and homers to bring everyone in.
I'm hoping for a nice balance of speed and power. The small ball game was what frustrated people under Sawyers and led to fans getting frustrated that we only hit singles.
Aggieangler93
AG
I am always too optimistic about our chances to make a prediction it seems. My kiddo has 2 or 3 high school friends on the team, so I will be pleased to see them play.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
tjack16
AG
I'm optimistic in at least being in consideration to host a regional by season's end with a winning SEC record.
Foxo
AG
"Blaum is as good as Helman at the plate."

NO WAY JOSE!
OKCAGS
Defense is going to be the key to this season . Our pitching is going to be lights out ..... but we will be in a bunch of close low scoring games ..... have to field the ball , and make the routine plays .
aggiewilliford
I am Jonesing for some stitched round ball!! Bring us baseball!
Gig Em Ags, God Bless Old Army and Marching in Behind the Band! Whooooopppp
TMartin
Been watching RC for for long time. Pitching will be good and hitting will be a box of Cracker Jacks....almost never fails.
Goro Majima
AG
Pretty optimistic. We have the pitching pieces we lacked last year and hopefully the hitting will be better.
TempleAg97
AG
I think having a legit catcher that can also hit is going to be huge. We also have lots of quality arms so I feel good about the Sunday/Tuesday starters and the bullpen.
technoviking
AG
I'm excited to see the pitching staff rotation:

Doxakis - should be all-sec caliber
Lacy - had a great summer on the same team Doxakis had a great summer with last year
Jozwiak/Saenz/Roa/Menefee/Childress - It will be interesting to see who takes the other two spots. As always, Childress and co signed an impressive list of pitchers.

The core of the team is upperclassmen-heavy:

Seniors:

Chandler Morris - had an outstanding summer
Wingate

Juniors:

Shewmake - if he is over his back injury, look out! could be the SEC MVP
Hoehner - I think his play is the most unknown factor and could have the biggest impact on the team this year. I really hope he's the real deal
Blake - him being healthy would go a long ways towards a great season
Blaum - great summer and is eligible after sitting out last year after transferring from ole miss
Coleman
Foster

Sophomores:

Frizzell - Saw significant time last year and had flashes. has a better body for first base than coleman imo. I hope he starts there.
DeLoach - great year last year for a freshman. great summer. i have big expectations for him this year. could hit leadoff/2nd/3rd when shewmake is out/clean up or 5th in the order.

I think the team has the ingredients to be tops in the SEC. Experienced pitching. I hope Bolt has recommitted himself to getting these guys approach at the plate right. Last year I felt like they weren't prepared up there. Lots of chasing balls. Lots of guys LOB. Defense would be my biggest question mark. Who is gonna play 2nd? Corbett? Blaum? Wingate? Who is playing right? How good of a defensive catcher is Hoehner?

I'm ready for the season!
rwhitlock3
AG
technoviking said:

I'm excited to see the pitching staff rotation:

Doxakis - should be all-sec caliber
Lacy - had a great summer on the same team Doxakis had a great summer with last year
Jozwiak/Saenz/Roa/Menefee/Childress - It will be interesting to see who takes the other two spots. As always, Childress and co signed an impressive list of pitchers.

The core of the team is upperclassmen-heavy:

Seniors:

Chandler Morris - had an outstanding summer
Wingate

Juniors:

Shewmake - if he is over his back injury, look out! could be the SEC MVP
Hoehner - I think his play is the most unknown factor and could have the biggest impact on the team this year. I really hope he's the real deal
Blake - him being healthy would go a long ways towards a great season
Blaum - great summer and is eligible after sitting out last year after transferring from ole miss
Coleman
Foster

Sophomores:

Frizzell - Saw significant time last year and had flashes. has a better body for first base than coleman imo. I hope he starts there.
DeLoach - great year last year for a freshman. great summer. i have big expectations for him this year. could hit leadoff/2nd/3rd when shewmake is out/clean up or 5th in the order.

I think the team has the ingredients to be tops in the SEC. Experienced pitching. I hope Bolt has recommitted himself to getting these guys approach at the plate right. Last year I felt like they weren't prepared up there. Lots of chasing balls. Lots of guys LOB. Defense would be my biggest question mark. Who is gonna play 2nd? Corbett? Blaum? Wingate? Who is playing right? How good of a defensive catcher is Hoehner?

I'm ready for the season!

I am pretty excited to have a legit, top-of-the-rotation, Friday night SEC starter. Seems like we kinda have two in Doxakis and Lacy. Last couple of years we have been overmatched a little on Friday nights so this should be a welcome change. I am expecting a MONSTER season from Shewmake, a good year from Blaum (who I think plays second), and continued development from Deloach.

And to answer one other question, Hoehner is supposed to be pretty good when it comes to defense from all the reports I have been hearing. Should be a major improvement from last year.
JohnnieBB
AG
My choice is Blaum at third, Ty Coleman at second, Wingate in right. All three hit well in the Omaha cup and during the fall season.

I suspect Rob will go with Blaum at second and WIngate at third. Watson has a shot at third and Morris can play 2nd, short, or 3rd.

Hoehner will be the starting catcher.

Multiple choices in the outfield. I see Cam in LF, Zach in CF, Foster, Coleman, Frizzell, Wingate, Ducuff, Dilullo, or Condel in RF, take your pick. I chose Foster in RF.

I think we will have three LHPs ( DOX, Lacy, Jozwiak or Saenz)on the weekend and posibily another on Tuesday. Roa, Childress, Cole possible closers. Other pitchers that will see time Weber, Miller, Childress, Kalich, Spenrath.

It all will play out in Feb and we, I am sure, will see changes as we go. Good group of kids though.
rwhitlock3
AG
I could totally see Wingate being in the outfield. I wan better defense out there than last year. Definitely think it will be upgraded by adding Cam Blake as LF and Wingate/Foster as RF with Deloach still roaming center. This has a chance to be a much better defensive team, but you're right, this is all on paper, lets see how it plays out in February once the season starts and then especially once SEC play starts.

I would be a little nervous having 3 lefty starters for the weekend...
Foxo
AG
First poll has at 29. We'll be better than that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.