Alderink, MacGrandle leave Texas A&M softball program

7,771 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Goro Majima
gigem92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6248338-kaitlyn-alderink-maddie-macgrandle-leave-texas-am-program
Belton Ag
AG
That makes 10 players lost from last year's squad. It's going to take some time to recover from that kind of attrition.

That is inexcusable for this staff to allow that to happen.
agwalk75
Something is wrong. I have a hunch but no knowledge of the situation.
aggiewilliford
What is going on??? This is alarming!
Gig Em Ags, God Bless Old Army and Marching in Behind the Band! Whooooopppp
Artimus Gordon
Next bunch out the door, should be Jo and her staff.
AgDad77
AG
Well to be fair here the two that left at the end of last season needed to be gone - they were both cancers on that team. One of them felt like she was entitled and didn't put in the work and the other had lost her job towards the end of the year and should have lost it earlier than she did.

Of these latest two one had health/injury issues for most of last season, dont know if that had any impact on her decision to quit or not and the other was supposedly good friends with one of those that left earlier - losing these two hurts. Waiting this long gives staff no time to shake the trees and bring others in.

I am not here trying to defend this staff but if you look at what Jo has done with absolute POS facilities its been pretty good. But in saying that, the clock is definitely ticking now.

We will see what kind of difference makers she is able to get signed in this next early signing period. She has the benefit of the new stadium plus kids can see the opportunity to compete for a job and play quickly.

With our neighbors down the road stepping up and going out and getting Mike White from Oregon that has changed things dramatically also.

I think she deserves at least 2-3 years tops to show she can bring in kids that will compete for SEC titles which means you are also competing at a national level. Hopefully she can find some clones of the Senior class that we just lost!!

mullokmotx
AG
Looks like Kelbi, Riley and Sarah are the only starters returning from the team's last game. Should be great competition for playing time.
Artimus Gordon
Quote:

I think she deserves at least 2-3 years tops to show she can bring in kids that will compete for SEC titles which means you are also competing at a national level. Hopefully she can find some clones of the Senior class that we just lost!!
With only 3 starters returning we are effectively starting over with that program. I cant see wasting the newness of Davis diamond on jo Evans recruiting and coaching ability. Davis diamond is not going to make har a better coach.

tu just pulled a coup getting oregon's women's softball coach with the "promise" of building him a new facility. We have the facility in place now. Yet we won't be able to parlay that as a step up as long as they let Evans and this staff hang around. This year should be enough to usher her in to retirement.
AgDad77
AG
Art
I agree with what you say to a point- I want to see what this early signing period brings in.

If that's a dud with the new stadium and the opportunity for immediate playing time - which wasn't really available for the last few years due to entrenched starters being here - then we have a big problem.
lbasham
AG
I think this team will still surprise many naysayers. Baylee Klingler is a top 5 national player and may eclipse many of Tori's and others records before all is said and done. Haley Lee is an outstanding catcher. Morgan Smith along Klingler and Lee were high school All Americans. and played in the High School All American game. Potts pitched well at Baylol and has experience.and Walls was a great defensive shortstop at UTSA which we have needed. The Smith twins will add power and speed as will Sinnie. Garcia and Jatzlau were all state infielders. A lineup of Fortenberry lf, Hudek rf, Klingler 3b, Sartain 1b, Lee c, Moreno 2b, Elder dp, Wall ss and Fritsch or Morgan Smith cf, with Potts, McBride, Poynter and Mayo pitching still lands us in the post season imho. A year of growth, other young contributors, along with pitchers Ashley Daugherty, Shaylee Ackerman and the hitting of Star Ferguson and others committed to sign this year, we should be fine going forward.,
mullokmotx
AG
I wish both of these players the best. Good to know they plan to stay in school here. Kaitlyn has been a battler the last 3 years. I don't think MacGrandle pitched in conference play last year.
Colt98
AG
What we are loosing in experience we are going to have a major uptick in athletism with this years freshman class(3-4 in top 100 on flo) and the 19 & 20 class. Across the board more athletism. I feel defensively we will potentially be better than last year, and have more potential on offense. Pitching is the wildcard.. This freshman class has the potential to surpass the success the outgoing class had last year. I'm excited about the future of the program. With so many spots available for playing time, you know compition will be at such a higher level than it's been the last few years when so many spots were locked down. How about lets see how this group gels and plays before we start jumping the gun. Most folks don't understand these girls play high end softball year round leading up to college. Many of this fish class have faced pitchers that will start for the likes of UCLA, OU, Alabama, and many more this summer.. so when you loose someone who's heart isn't in it anymore, and replace them with someone that is fighting to get on the field good things can happen.
AgDad77
AG
Right
It's gonna be fun watching this team grow.
Fall ball in November should be interesting.
Colt98
AG
AgDad77 said:

Art
I agree with what you say to a point- I want to see what this early signing period brings in.

If that's a dud with the new stadium and the opportunity for immediate playing time - which wasn't really available for the last few years due to entrenched starters being here - then we have a big problem.
With softball recruiting we all know who will be coming here for the next few classes. Some will change, but for the most part you can look up on Flo Softball and see who will sign in the 19, 20, 21 classes and even a few in 22 class. Just an observation from a couple of comments above. BTW, all those classes look pretty stinking good from an athletic stand point. But like all things, each year is different and we can see things can change in a major way in a blink of an eye. We shall see..
clendenin
AG
The Los Padres League had its top softball player represented on the All-CIF softball team in Division 5 as Templeton's Ashley Daugherty landed on the list.

Daugherty, a junior, batted .541 with 16 runs, 22 RBIs, 13 doubles and four home runs. Her offensive numbers alone would likely land her on the All-CIF team, but Daugherty is actually a better pitcher than hitter.

Daugherty went 18-1 on the season with a 0.47 ERA. She pitched 119 innings and struck out 237 batters while walking just 21. She threw 14 complete games and had 10 shutouts.

In her three-year varsity career, Daugherty is 48-10 overall with a career ERA of 0.48. She's struck out 778 batters in 378 innings with 50 career complete games, 29 career shutouts, five no-hitters and four career perfect games.

TMartin
The new women's volleyball and golf coaches say a lot about the future of A&M women's athletics in my opinion.
Wicked Good Ag
TMartin said:

The new women's volleyball and golf coaches say a lot about the future of A&M women's athletics in my opinion.

How so??
Spyderman
AG
Culling the hurd?
Goro Majima
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

TMartin said:

How so??

That A&M is a lot more serious about winning?
Goro Majima
AG
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Kaitlyn's parents at a game. Really really nice family that I chatted with at length. Whatever's going on, I will not do anything other than wish her the best.

I mean, she's still an Aggie.
Belton Ag
AG
You have to respect the decision these players have made, I'm sure it was made with only the best intentions in mind. I've had very little interaction with Alderink but from what I've seen she seems to be a really good kid and Aggie.

The problem is the totality of the attrition and the perception of the program from the outside that something is going on within the program that could affect negatively recruiting.

In addition to having to play in a brutal league, Texas A&M is surrounded by Oklahoma, tu, and Baylor, all programs who (with the addition of White to sip) have elite coaching and recruiting. Texas A&M really can't afford to blink at this point.

I'm not saying that all is lost or that we need to head for the cliffs, I am saying that this is a concern and that I'm not sure I'm comfortable with seeing this program go into rebuilding mode at this point.
Goro Majima
AG
I've met Alderink's parents. Great family. However, someone showed me that she regressed in her stats from 2016 and she's probably about to lose her starting job to Baylee Klingler if Baylee is a 2nd baseman (one of the articles I read about her said she's a middle infielder).

Also, I'm now under the impression that Woodward is slowly cleaning house. Given how the baseball and softball seasons have the potential to go, I think Jo Evans and Rob Childress are next, and we won't see it coming at all. Meaning, it'll be the kind of thing that just breaks randomly.
sharpdressedman
Belton Ag said:

The problem is the totality of the attrition and the perception of the program from the outside that something is going on within the program that could affect negatively recruiting.
These are negative, legitimate concerns. I think Jo gets next season to convince people otherwise or she is gone..
Goro Majima
AG
My theory is that Woodward gets her and Childress to "retire" next ... depending on how the seasons go.
greg.w.h
AG
It's worth recalling that transfer rules are being actively liberalized as we watch. If the student athletes HAVE more freedom, then you would expect more of them to use it and move. It meets the Occam's razor standard of being the simpler explanation as well.

I anticipate the AD will also work hard to figure this out. Just like with Kyle having declining attendance being a situation Sharp mentioned, both Davis and BBP deserve a product that draws both a full house and growing season ticket purchases. At some point changing out coaches could be a way to address that. Which isn't to say right NOW it is a problem. Just could become one.

I think Jo and Rob really do struggle with excelling in the CWS/WCWS. Jo has done better though hardly great. We've taken away the facilities argument at this point. Just like Rob pretty much has had a jewel of a park for years. Recruiting definitely iS DIFFERENT between the two sports, so comparing them is difficult.

But one thing is sure: we don't yet have the national reputation in either that creates a talent pipeline from the state that is exemplary. That's what needs to get fixed next.
BQ_90
AG
Goro Majima said:

My theory is that Woodward gets her and Childress to "retire" next ... depending on how the seasons go.
Childress isn't retiring.
McCoveysCove
If Childress cant get to the CWS and win in the next 2-3 years he should be "retired". Absolutely no reason with all the talent he has on the roster
jkag89
BQ_90 said:

Goro Majima said:

Childress isn't retiring.
Agree. If Woodward feels the need to go in a different direction away from Childress he will have to fire him. IMO RC will land on his feet if such an eventuality should occur, probably as a pitching coach but would not rule out a head coaching job. The baseball fans in Lincoln might want him back.
Goro Majima
AG
donyvon said:

If Childress cant get to the CWS and win in the next 2-3 years he should be "retired". Absolutely no reason with all the talent he has on the roster
I've previously been kind of a Childress apologist but after the way last season ended, I'm about done with him. He either does something of note this season or he should be fired.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.