Piecing together the 2019 schedule

6,706 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by twk
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since we always seem to be among the last to release our baseball schedule, here is some information to fill in the blanks.

First up, LSU has released their schedule, and it shows A&M making the trip to the Box for a Friday-Sunday series, April 5-7. One other observation--they play two SEC series which begin on Thursday, both at home. One is Easter weekend against Florida, the other is the final series against Auburn, so, it would appear that there are no changes due solely to television on this schedule (which makes me wonder if if is subject to further revision).

LSU schedule

Edit: Since we've got some more info, I'll try to update this as we go:

Edit: Subject to adjustment for TV, this appears to be the full schedule:

February 15-17 Fordham
February 19 SFA
February 20 Prairie View
February 22-24 Illinois-Chicago
February 26 HBU
February 27 UIW
March 1 Baylor @ Shriner's Classic
March 2 TCU @ Shriner's Classic
March 3 UH @ Shriner's Classic
March 5 TAMU-CC
March 6 ACU
March 8-10 Gonzaga
March 12 @ DBU
March 15-17 Vanderbilt
March 19 Rice
March 22-24@ UK
March 26 Lamar
March 29-31 Missouri
April 2 @ t.u.
April 5-6 @ LSU
April 9 Texas State
April 12-14 Auburn
April 16 @ UH
April 18-20 @ USC (Thurs-Sat)
April 23 UTA
April 26-28 @ Ole Miss
April 30 @ Sam Houston
May 3-5 Mississippi State
May 10-12 @ Bama
May 16-18 Arkansas (Thurs-Sat)

May 21-26 SEC Tournament
May 31-June 3 NCAA Regionals
June 7-10 Super Regionals
June 15-26 CWS
Captain Pablo
AG
Man I hope the Thu-Sat nonsense is a fraction of what it was last year

80% of home SEC series starting on a Thursday is ridiculous
ensign_beedrill
AG
That series is gonna' be pushed to a Thursday start. Book it.
Captain Pablo
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

That series is gonna' be pushed to a Thursday start. Book it.

Don't care as long as it's away
ensign_beedrill
AG
I care 'cause I want to go.
jbr
AG
My guess ...

@ Kentucky 3/22-24
@ South Carolina 4/18-20
@ Ole Miss 4/26-28
@ Alabama 5/10-12

Well, maybe not a guess... info from state bid opportunity site for charter air services for baseball....
jbr
AG
March 1-3 - 2019 - Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic
W
AG
thinking about the East crossover opponents...

definitely should not be playing Tennessee again. 2019 would be the third year-in-a-row.

and it definitely seems like it's time to go back to Kentucky for a series. Only played there once in 6 years and didn't play the Wildcats last season.

Vandy probably cycles back on the schedule at BBP (since A&M played at Nashville in 2017).

Missouri probably cycles back on too...and likely at BBP.

so the last East opponent is likely South Carolina or Florida on the road

Aggieangler93
AG
I'm hoping we get Vandy here this year. I like watching them play (whistlers aside).

Florida on the road will suck, as will Arky anywhere. LOL
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Luke The Drifter
AG
jbr said:

My guess ...

@ Kentucky 3/22-24
@ South Carolina 4/18-20
@ Ole Miss 4/26-28
@ Alabama 5/10-12

Well, maybe not a guess... info from state bid opportunity site for charter air services for baseball....

Nice piece of information right there...

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Agsncws
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

jbr said:

My guess ...

@ Kentucky 3/22-24
@ South Carolina 4/18-20
@ Ole Miss 4/26-28
@ Alabama 5/10-12

Nice piece of information right there...

Indeed. If our road vs the east includes Kentucky and SC, then that leaves only home east opponents which would definitely eliminate Florida and point towards Mizzou and Vandy? (though maybe its worth noting that Tenn has still only visited Olsen once)
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
W
AG
if the air services info is correct...that means A&M is at BBP for the final weekend of conference play.

so there's one Thursday-Saturday home conference series. Hopefully no more
Luke The Drifter
AG
It also tells me there's no long, non-conference road trip (i.e. - no return trip to Long Beach.)
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Wicked Good Ag
Luke The Drifter said:

It also tells me there's no long, non-conference road trip (i.e. - no return trip to Long Beach.)

I think dermdoc said in a previous thread that no return trip was scheduled at least for 2019
W
AG
may be 3 cupcakes as the weekend non-conference opponents in 2019. And that may not be all bad after the player attrition
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

may be 3 cupcakes as the weekend non-conference opponents in 2019. And that may not be all bad after the player attrition

History tells us we'll have an Ivy League team visit BBP. Since 2014, we've hosted an Ivy League school each year.

2014 - Columbia (single game on a Tuesday)
2015 - Dartmouth
2016 - Yale
2017 - Brown
2018 - Cornell
2019 - Harvard/Penn/Princeton - my money is on Princeton

W
AG
yep, I'll predict:

Ivy League Team
Metro Atlantic Team
Big Ten Team
Luke The Drifter
AG
Boring...

We left the SW Conference for a reason.
ensign_beedrill
AG
I was just about to come here and say the same thing.

And haven't they learned not to have TCU-A&M game late?
Wicked Good Ag
While I don't like playing the same teams all the time I have no problem with those matchups. What I would like to see is a SEC-ACC challenge at say various minor league ballparks
Luke The Drifter
AG
Has the Minute Maid Classic (or whatever it's called) fallen so far down the pecking order that the best they can do is Texas State and a reunion of SWC teams? Seems like this venue should be able to attract teams from around the country. It's not like Ohio State, Arizona or Virginia would sell any fewer tickets than Texas State, Baylor and UH will sell.
Basketball and Chain
AG
IMO, best draw we could've asked for given the field
Luke The Drifter
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

IMO, best draw we could've asked for given the field

Agree. Just wish they had a more interesting and diverse field.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Nobody wants to play baseball indoors.
Luke The Drifter
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

In February/early March it's not so bad. Outside of that, agree that it sucks.
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

ensign_beedrill said:

Except for avoiding rain, playing indoors at Minute Maid early in the year is rarely a treat--there is no heat in the building, so unless it's a warm sunny day and the roof is open, you get cold (and it feels colder than it should because you just can't prepare yourself mentally for being cold indoors).
Mustang1
AG
Playing in Austin April 2nd
W
AG
it may be time or past time for A&M to cut bait with the MM classic.

LSU has and t.u. has too
ensign_beedrill
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

ensign_beedrill said:

I remember one classic, where I watched the morning game and it was cold but warming up as the sun crept over the roof and started shining on me. It was starting to feel quite pleasant for the second game when they inexplicably closed the roof and it got so so cold.
wareagle044
Luke The Drifter said:

Has the Minute Maid Classic (or whatever it's called) fallen so far down the pecking order that the best they can do is Texas State and a reunion of SWC teams? Seems like this venue should be able to attract teams from around the country. It's not like Ohio State, Arizona or Virginia would sell any fewer tickets than Texas State, Baylor and UH will sell.

Probably mentioned already but these are all pretty solid baseball programs in state. I think the goal is to attract the fans and not the teams?
TXAggie2011
AG
They're most of the better programs in the state, but I reckon with a little effort we can play most or all of those teams in the midweek and be a little more adventurous on the weekend.

I recognize the philanthropic aspect; and perhaps A&M could work with Shriners to develop another way to fundraise. I don't know, just thinking aloud.
TXAggie2011
AG
It seems like some of those tournaments out in SoCal have drawn the larger crowds of top programs as of late.

Dodger Stadium one last year was loaded (at least it seemed so at the time.)
Luke The Drifter
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

It seems like some of those tournaments out in SoCal have drawn the larger crowds of top programs as of late.

Dodger Stadium one last year was loaded (at least it seemed so at the time.)

I guarantee you no tournament in California drew a big crowd. They may have had big-name teams, but they don't draw flies in Cali, attendance-wise.

And as it was said earlier, we could play BU, TCU, TxState, Rice, etc. on a Tuesday if we really wanted to have those folks on the schedule. There are just so few non-conference weekends available. I hate to waste one of them on a SWC reunion tour. If we're going to play away from Olsen Field, I've got no problem with that...so long as we go to some place interesting with a quality opponent...any Pac-12 team, almost any ACC team, the "other" California teams (LBSU, Pepperdine, SDSU, Fresno, etc.)...even a road trip to Indiana, BYU, Southern Miss, or Minnesota would do more for us than 3 neutral site games vs. teams in our own back yard.

TXAggie2011
AG
"Crowds of top programs" as in how many top programs are playing in the tournament.
Agsncws
AG
Just announced scrimmages against Sam Houston (10/5) and Rice (10/26).

Not entirely sure if this will impact the number of games in the spring (back several years ago, it did reduce the number of scheduled games).
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.