No gum or sunflower seeds in the complex

4,164 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by nereus
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 10 year old son's Mustang team is representing the South Zone in this weeks PONY World Series in Youngsville, LA. They sent us the rules of the complex and it states there is no gum or sunflower seeds.

Apparently, their complex is pretty new and has turf infields. I must admit to being pretty shocked to see those two things banned. I can't recall the last time I watched a game without chewing gum.
Wabs
AG
You could always switch from gum to Skoal.
wareagle044
Pretty sure The Yard in Houston has the same rules
JDay
Pretty standard for all facilities that have turf.
Luke The Drifter
AG
We do our Relay for Life event at a stadium with a turf field. The #1 rule is no gum or sunflower seeds. I swear you'd get in less trouble if you pooped on the field than if you spit a seed hull on it.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

We do our Relay for Life event at a stadium with a turf field. The #1 rule is no gum or sunflower seeds. I swear you'd get in less trouble if you pooped on the field than if you spit a seed hull on it.
They just had a rules addition,

Now there is no gum, sunflower seeds or pooping.

D_Wag97
AG
Turf fields
Luke The Drifter
AG
pepe the dog said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Tough but fair.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
pudge
Everywhere my team plays that has turf has those rules... no seeds, no gum, no tobacco, no colored drinks..

That way on turf football stadiums too... Consol, CSHS, Bryan, etc
htxag09
AG
No Gatorade on HS turf football fields?
third deck
AG
Congratulations to your son on making the Pony WS!

My son's team made a pretty deep run out of the West Zone. They ended up making the championship game in Super Regions (lost to Placentia) and then got knocked out in the elimination game. Looks like you guys might face Placentia if you beat NC in round 1. Ironically, here in SoCal, if you can get out of Super Regions, the path to the WS probably gets a bit easier.

I've come to like the turf fields. At this age level, there is such a wide variance in infield quality. Our home infields are turf, and it makes life a lot easier. No infield prep, no chalking lines, no bad hops and the kids love playing on them. All our Super Region games were basically on softball fields, and I have never seen so many goofy hops and so many errors made by some pretty solid teams. It seems most all the turf field complexes ban the gum and seeds. But, from what I have seen, that generally applies to the players only.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Guess it's time for peanuts.
aggiebrad94
AG
Quote:

All our Super Region games were basically on softball fields, and I have never seen so many goofy hops and so many errors made by some pretty solid teams. It seems most all the turf field complexes ban the gum and seeds. But, from what I have seen, that generally applies to the players only.
Our fields in Deer Park were like playing at the beach. They looked great but the dirt in the infield wasn't tamped down very well and they didn't drag it enough. The kids looked they were running between bases in slow motion.
ABATTBQ87
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Turf fields

Even though turf fields are looked upon in a negative light they do help smaller school districts and private schools save money in the long run regarding field maintenance,watering, Etc
Tex100
AG
pepe the dog said:

Luke The Drifter said:

You must hate the last one, Pepe the Dog.
Tex100
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

D_Wag97 said:

Turf fields

Even though turf fields are looked upon in a negative light they do help smaller school districts and private schools save money in the long run regarding field maintenance,watering, Etc
https://theconversation.com/why-artificial-turf-may-truly-be-bad-for-kids-72044

I hate turf. And as the article states, hot as hell, too.
Wildman15
AG
If a sandlot was good enough for one of the greatest baseball movies ever, then it's good enough for the pony league. Say "no" to turf baseball fields
94chem
Can't the field be vacuumed or blown? Sounds one live oak close by could be the end of civilization.
cevans_40
AG
I understand the gum but why no seeds?
Aggieangler93
AG
I've always assumed the seed shells somehow destroy the turf over time. I'm not sure how though. I know this is the policy at most of the Central Texas turf fields.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
nereus
AG
It is just that they are really hard to clean up. They hide in the rubber material. You can't vacuum them up (which you can do on a natural field) because that would vacuum up all the rubber pieces.

Also, on a grass field, they will break down naturally but they don't do that (or at least take much longer to do that) on a synthetic field.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.