Andritsos Now Gone As Well

7,784 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by W
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Per Gabe...

FollowFollow @GabeBock
More

Texas A&M first baseman @Chris_Andritsos has decided to retire from baseball due to ongoing complications with his left wrist. Andritsos hit .287 with 7 home runs and 33 RBI in 43 games last season while fighting through injury all year. His presence in the lineup will be missed.
4:12 PM - 27 Jul 2018

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Ag 11
AG
Crap
Agsncws
Amazing Moves
Good luck to him. Man things have gone south in a hurry.
W
AG
so outside of Shewmake and Foster...the Ags are going to have a young / inexperienced freshmen & sophomore lineup
Luke The Drifter
AG
2019 may be the true, bona fide rebuilding year we've all been dreading. Kinda thought we'd seen that in 2017, then stumbled our way into the CWS. 2018 wasn't a horrible year...it's not like we missed the post-season or anything...but we all know the team wasn't as good as it should have been. Now 2019 is coming at us with a ton of question marks.

Did TCU put the ju-ju curse on us in 2015 and 2016 (and in 2017 eliminating us from the CWS)? Whatever it was, we certainly seem to have lost whatever mojo and badassery we had prior to the 2017 season.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
DP...hand't had one of those in a long time...

jkag89
W said:

so outside of Shewmake and Foster...the Ags are going to have a young / inexperienced freshmen & sophomore lineup
Did I miss that Coleman isn't returning?
technoviking
AG
that ****ing bunt in the 8th or 9th inning or whatever it was. ****.
OKCAGS
This one hurts for sure ..... but will allow Frizell more AB's ( at DH ) and time at 1B . If Hoerner becomes the everyday catcher , you will still have Coleman and Frizell to play 1B and DH .
94chem
This is baseball, not basketball or football. Pound the zone, play catch, and put the ball in play. No reason to jump off a cliff if the guys are smart and have enough "want to."

I'll be very disappointed if Frizell doesn't become a star. There just aren't a lot of guys at the college level who get that extra umph to all fields when they make contact. He should have gotten more AB's against LH pitching. Maybe he's seeing some this summer.
Aggieangler93
AG
Base runner well inside the foul line, combined with a crappy throw from across the diamond, means we lose a good player and end his career early.

That sucks for Andy!!! I feel for the kid.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Mr.Ackar07
Aggieangler93 said:

Base runner well inside the foul line, combined with a crappy throw from across the diamond, means we lose a good player and end his career early.

That sucks for Andy!!! I feel for the kid.
In the 9th inning of a blow out game no less
Bunk Moreland
thank the lord for that Davidson gift in 17, because this is now looking like 3 consecutive years of mediocre baseball after that golden run.
Mr.Ackar07
Davidson was in 2017
Aggies2009
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

thank the lord for that Davidson gift in 16, because this is now looking like 3 consecutive years of mediocre baseball after that golden run.

Do you mean 17 and 2 years?
Mr.Ackar07
But speaking of 2016, I was looking back and found this interesting:

A&M had a school record 12 players drafted. A little more than 2 years later:

Nick Banks - A+
Ryne Birk - AA
Jace Vines - AA
Ryan Hendrix - A+
Mark Ecker - AA
J.B. Moss - Released
Michael Barash - Retired
Boomer White - Retired
Andrew Vinson - Released (Playing in Independent leagues)
Kyle Simonds - Retired
Hunter Melton - Released
Ronnie Gideon - Released
Bunk Moreland
Yes. Meant 17 and this upcoming one could make 3 straight. I always just categorize all sports as the fall semester year by default
twk
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

thank the lord for that Davidson gift in 17, because this is now looking like 3 consecutive years of mediocre baseball after that golden run.
The 2019 team will rise or fall based on the performance of Doxakis and Lacy. If those guys pitch to their potential, we should have enough at the plate to have a good season. If they don't, we won't have enough sticks to overcome a mediocre pitching staff. I hate to put that much on two players, but that's what it comes down to.
Hop
Staff
AG
Very surprised to find people now calling this a rebuilding season now that Andritsos retired. Huh? He was a contributor...a solid guy for half the season he played. But I would hardly call him a critical component to the 2019 team.

As someone else said, the 2019 season will depend on the pitching of Doxakis, Lacy, and Childress along with the hitting of Shew and DeLoach leading the bats. Frizzell certainly has the same trajectory of Andritsos. Blaum is equal or greater than Janca. Blake returning healthy. As usual, a couple of freshman will contribute and it will be a very similar Childress team in 2019...good but not great.
BurnetAggie99
I'd expect Weber being he's was one of the best Lefties in the State to contribute next year as a weekday starter and mid relief opportunities.

Also Hunter Watson brings a nice frame and big stick out of the freshman class. Can play 3rd and first.
SMM48
AG
Damn drag bunting fool.
HortAg09
AG
Damnit, best 2 walk up songs from 2018 are gone now.
BrandoC
AG
We can talk about the pitching blah blah this blah blah that all we want but until we learn ,as a team, how to put the bat to the ball we will struggle. As a team we stunk it up hitting the ball this year. Blame it on Childress, Bolt, players whoever but we have to hit the ball better, consistently.
Bunk Moreland
Hop said:

Very surprised to find people now calling this a rebuilding season now that Andritsos retired. Huh? He was a contributor...a solid guy for half the season he played. But I would hardly call him a critical component to the 2019 team.

As someone else said, the 2019 season will depend on the pitching of Doxakis, Lacy, and Childress along with the hitting of Shew and DeLoach leading the bats. Frizzell certainly has the same trajectory of Andritsos. Blaum is equal or greater than Janca. Blake returning healthy. As usual, a couple of freshman will contribute and it will be a very similar Childress team in 2019...good but not great.

Just like you did with your 2nd paragraph...many of us were extending the Andritsos news to a larger conversation about the roster makeup for 2019. His retirement is just the latest hit to that since the season has ended. Nobody is saying this one move is dictating that sentiment.
Bunk Moreland
BrandoC said:

We can talk about the pitching blah blah this blah blah that all we want but until we learn ,as a team, how to put the bat to the ball we will struggle. As a team we stunk it up hitting the ball this year. Blame it on Childress, Bolt, players whoever but we have to hit the ball better, consistently.

And I agree with this. We shouldn't be having to hold out hope that our expected stud pitchers have massive years so it's enough for us to do better than average in the SEC hopefully....

We have got to get better offensive players on this roster year in and year out. RC had it cooking for a while but it has fallen off.
Chester
Bunk Moreland said:

Yes. Meant 17 and this upcoming one could make 3 straight. I always just categorize all sports as the fall semester year by default
This is a lot of bunk!!!
Bunk Moreland
chester said:

Bunk Moreland said:

This is a lot of bunk!!!

What is?

The finishing of mid-pack in the SEC in 2017, or finishing 6th in the SECW in 2018, or my concern that 2019 would make a 3rd consecutive year of mediocre play?

Or that I just default a school year's sports season as whatever the fall year was? That part I agree is bunk
Chester
Bunk Moreland said:

chester said:

Bunk Moreland said:

This is a lot of bunk!!!

What is?

The finishing of mid-pack in the SEC in 2017, or finishing 6th in the SECW in 2018, or my concern that 2019 would make a 3rd consecutive year of mediocre play?

Or that I just default a school year's sports season as whatever the fall year was? That part I agree is bunk.
3 consecutive years of mediocre play is bunk. A World Series in 2017 was far from mediocre.
technoviking
AG
i have to agree with hop on this one. im mad that that reckless and assuredly fruitless bunt in an early blowout game resulted in andritsos calling it a career and not being on the team going forward, but, the team has talent even without andritsos. it's hard though because he was a contributor.

the other teams in the SEC have had talent leave, too. this is why we gotta play the games.
Hop
Staff
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Hop said:

Just like you did with your 2nd paragraph...many of us were extending the Andritsos news to a larger conversation about the roster makeup for 2019. His retirement is just the latest hit to that since the season has ended. Nobody is saying this one move is dictating that sentiment.

What hits? Janca? Bedford? Again, none of those three departures were more than average college baseball players. Baseball more than any other major college sport has a high turnover rate to begin with. With so many bodies coming and going each year, the only losses that hurt are players that are difference makers...Friday night arms, a closer, stud SS, or all-American bat.

Losing a couple of .240 hitters and a .280 hitter that played half a season is not losing a critical component of the roster. Not saying it has no impact, but it isn't a huge deal that changes the trajectory of the season. There were no assurances that Janca and Andritsos would have been starters next season.

Tex100
AG
Bedford had more to offer than just a batting average.
Billy Heywood
Interesting to predict that guys who have yet to play one inning of SEC baseball for the Ags will be greater than starters who have moved on to pro ball or retired. Experience counts and I think we'll miss them more than some expect. But time will tell. Hope 2019 is a great season for the players, coaches and fans.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Andritsos was third in slugging and hit 7 HR in about half the ABs of players that played all season. He was a very good bet to hit double digit HRs during a healthy season, especially as he started his upperclassman seasons.

While i would agree his departure wouldn't derail an entire season, he's definitely not a small loss.
Billy Heywood
And so did Janca and Andritsos.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.