Keeli Milligan and Sam Show leaving?

18,473 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Belton Ag
AGinSEC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Sam Show's Instagram she is going to Oklahoma State https://instagr.am/p/BktMnvUFI-R
Dogdoc
AG
And Milligan to ULL.
Gap
AG
I don't remember Stillwater being so pretty. Things have changed since my last visit.
rugger74
AG
Good for these young women. Hope the new locations work out for them and they find a renewed love of the game.
Belton Ag
AG
Dogdoc said:

And Milligan to ULL.
Reuniting with Glasco.

I really don't know what to make of Milligan's departure. She would have been almost guaranteed a starting spot on next year's team, they still need to fill a spot in the outfield and in the lineup. I'm not sure how close to graduating she is, but a degree from A&M is unquestionably better than ULL. Unless she was just so butthurt about losing her starting spot, I don't see why she would leave.

I wish the best for her and hope she's happy.
sharpdressedman
Belton Ag said:

Dogdoc said:

And Milligan to ULL.
Reuniting with Glasco.

I really don't know what to make of Milligan's departure. She would have been almost guaranteed a starting spot on next year's team, they still need to fill a spot in the outfield and in the lineup. I'm not sure how close to graduating she is, but a degree from A&M is unquestionably better than ULL. Unless she was just so butthurt about losing her starting spot, I don't see why she would leave.

I wish the best for her and hope she's happy.
She will be happy to avoid thoughts of the nightmare in Gainesville every time she suits-up in a different uniform, and not hearing about it from the talking heads every game.

I understand wanting to escape the extraordinary, lingering trauma of last season's ending, but trading an A&M degree for one from ULL, especially after three years of academic investment, is grossly immature, overtly ignorant, or both. Serious parental influence should have vetoed that decision, IMO.

Nevertheless, I wish her well. She will become wiser with time.
ZoneClubber
AG
With the possible exception of the Miss. State coach and the new coach at Missouri, there isn't a coach in the SEC that Evans can come close to being favorably compared to. I was hoping that after she was allowed to enjoy the opening of the new ball bark she would be gone. But in typical A M athletic fashion, performance and results take a backseat when allowing coaches to hang around too long.
Artimus Gordon
We spent 3/4 of a billion overhauling Kyle field but sumlin couldn't parlay that into anything worth a damn.

We renovated Olsen into Blue bell and rob couldn't use that as a spring board to get even one win in the CWS. Now we are talking about having to add more seats and bring it up to SEC standards.

we are going to leave Jo Evans in Davis diamond for what reasons I will never understand. The new facilities are sure not going to make her any better of a coach.

I don't know why we squander the positives of new facilities by leaving coaches who can't get it done in place.
Gap
AG
When did the talking point about winning a game in the CWS take root with some? It has always seemed petty as a talking point. Getting to the CWS pretty much means you have had a heck of a season. It just seems like a way to try to diminish what was a great year. The goal once you get there is simply to win it. No crying or being a baby if you don't.
Belton Ag
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

We spent 3/4 of a billion overhauling Kyle field but sumlin couldn't parlay that into anything worth a damn.

We renovated Olsen into Blue bell and rob couldn't use that as a spring board to get even one win in the CWS. Now we are talking about having to add more seats and bring it up to SEC standards.

we are going to leave Jo Evans in Davis diamond for what reasons I will never understand. The new facilities are sure not going to make her any better of a coach.

I don't know why we squander the positives of new facilities by leaving coaches who can't get it done in place.
This is such a strange post. First of all, you seem upset about events that haven't taken place yet (leaving Evans in place too long after building Davis Diamond, which as I type this isn't even finished), and second, as an example you use Kevin Sumlin... a guy who was fired just two seasons after Kyle Field was finished. If anything, Sumlin is a perfect example of A&M not leaving a coach in place too long after building new facilities.
Belton Ag
AG
Gap said:

When did the talking point about winning a game in the CWS take root with some? It has always seemed petty as a talking point. Getting to the CWS pretty much means you have had a heck of a season. It just seems like a way to try to diminish what was a great year. The goal once you get there is simply to win it. No crying or being a baby if you don't.
That one appeared after last year when we got to Omaha. They *****ed and moaned about not getting there, then when they got there they needed something else to complain about.
Goro Majima
AG
I can see where you're getting at, but these past 2 seasons were actually the best we had in the SEC by far since joining. She earned herself at least 2-3 more seasons because Aggie softball has been handicapped its facilities. I'm hoping that won't be the case anymore.
greg.w.h
AG
Just so we are all thinking about this the same way:

1. Being in the tournament is round of 64. Being first out of a regional tournament is a Learfield ranking of tied (16 regions) for 49.

2. Second out in a regional is a tie for (16 regions) of 33.

3. Third out in the regional is tied for 17 because 16 teams are left in the eight supers,

4. The losers of the supers are all tied for 9th.

5. The eight participants in the CWS of course are roughly at the level of the elite eight in basketball terms. (EDIT: I was focusing on men's Div I basketball tournament when I was thinking through this...so my later claim was incomplete from a Texas A&M women's basketball ball perspective. Our women's team instead provides the counterexample of a coach who has an NC but is viewed as inconsistent in building teams especially from freshmen that excel at pushing further.)

A similar process is used for ranking the last eight as they fall from a Learfied perspective, but making it to the elite eight is something we've NEVER done in basketball not even once (at least form a modern tournament perspective.)

I'm not arguing that coaches should be retained ad infinitum as long as they produce a CWS trip. Just framing exactly what it means. (Side note: women's BB and women's softball both invite 64 teams even though there are MUCH smaller numbers of the two programs than men's basketball. And softball is even more limited than women's basketball, so I'm not arguing there is an exact correlation...just that the building champions notion of top 10 teams with occasional national championships is satisfied by a CWS trip only partially.)

(EDIT: I was focusing on men's Div I basketball tournament when I was thinking through this...so my later claim was incomplete from a Texas A&M women's basketball ball perspective. Our women's team instead provides the counterexample of a coach who has an NC but is viewed as inconsistent in building teams especially from freshmen that excel at pushing further. His NC and repeat S16 and E8 runs haven't staunched frustration.)
Sandman98
AG
Belton Ag said:

Gap said:

That one appeared after last year when we got to Omaha. They *****ed and moaned about not getting there, then when they got there they needed something else to complain about.

The measure only exists on this website and it's being passed around by only a few loud but clueless posters. Although difficult, it should be ignored because literally nobody outside of that small circle jerk even considers the metric.
Belton Ag
AG
AggieTurok said:

I can see where you're getting at, but these past 2 seasons were actually the best we had in the SEC by far since joining. She earned herself at least 2-3 more seasons because Aggie softball has been handicapped its facilities. I'm hoping that won't be the case anymore.
I have mixed feelings about the coaching staff. I feel like one of the factors to take into account when comparing our program to others in the SEC is the level of support from the athletic department with regards to facilities. Up until now, ours was a joke, with having to share the indoor batting cages with the baseball team, an absolute dump of a stadium and substandard conditioning facilities which were located across Welborn at Kyle Field. When it came to drawing good players in, the facilities always hindered the recruiting efforts. If you were to go back and look at the rosters from around 2007 to 2017, you'll notice that Jo had to rely heavily on filling out the roster with Aggie legacies, girls who were willing to overlook that stuff because they wanted to be Aggies more than anything.

I always thought that roster talent and not necessarily coaching talent was the main thing holding Aggie softball back when we came into the SEC. We did have some top end talent like Meagan May and Mel Dumezich, but most other SEC and PAC 12 clubs have entire rosters built with that kind of top end talent.

The the addition of Davis Diamond, the practice facility and the West Campus PDC has closed the gap and pushed A&M ahead of every single program in the country. I'd like to see what Jo can do with it now. Contrary to some, I don't think next season is going to be an awful season, either.
Goro Majima
AG
That's what I'm saying. If you don't think a crappy facility like that hinders recruiting, I've got no words. On that note, it's a wonder that Jo has never had a losing season in spite of having the Aggie Softball Complex be what she had to sell for the program.
Belton Ag
AG
AggieTurok said:

That's what I'm saying. If you don't think a crappy facility like that hinders recruiting, I've got no words. On that note, it's a wonder that Jo has never had a losing season in spite of having the Aggie Softball Complex be what she had to sell for the program.
The reason why I said I had mixed feelings is because as bad as the facilities have been, Jo hasn't done herself any huge favors when it comes to her staff. I think she's kept some coaches around too long and in the past has used the volunteer position to give jobs to former players who may not have been totally qualified to do the job. Those kinds of things send the wrong signals to prospects and families looking at colleges.

The best move, now that they have Dill on as a full time paid pitching coach would be to do the same for the hitting coach, whether it's keeping Stein on or finding a top flight coach elsewhere like they did with Glasco (although they had Glasco and let him get away). NCAA rules prohibit adding a 3rd assistant, and I doubt Coach Jackson is going anywhere so there's not a whole lot that can be done.

Goro Majima
AG
Glasco ... that's why we seemed to take a step back offensively this season. I remember in 2017 when he was the hitting coach, the girls hit about a million home runs ...
phantomf15c
AG
Hammer meet nail! Nice post!
clendenin
AG
AggieTurok said:

Glasco ... that's why we seemed to take a step back offensively this season. I remember in 2017 when he was the hitting coach, the girls hit about a million home runs ...
Except of course the real numbers were:

2015 .278-67-287 Glasco
2016 .328-86-401 Glasco
2017 .298-60-318 Glasco
2018 .296-50-275 Stein

quailmaniac
Look forward to the new stadium and the difference it will make.

Belton Ag
AG
Zone416 said:

With the possible exception of the Miss. State coach and the new coach at Missouri, there isn't a coach in the SEC that Evans can come close to being favorably compared to. I was hoping that after she was allowed to enjoy the opening of the new ball bark she would be gone. But in typical A M athletic fashion, performance and results take a backseat when allowing coaches to hang around too long.
If I may restate this (and please tell me if I'm stating this incorrectly), according to you: Jo Evans cannot come close to being favorably compared to Mike Smith at Ole Miss, Courtney Deifel at Arkansas, Beverly Smith at South Carolina, Mickey Dean at Auburn, and Rachel Lawson at Kentucky.

I'll give you Murphy, Walton, Harris-Champer, The Weeklys, and Torina, but I'd really love to see a convincing argument that Evans "can't come close" to being compared favorably to the coaches listed above. Since joining the SEC, Evans is a combined 31-11 against that group of coaches.
Belton Ag
AG
clendenin said:

AggieTurok said:

Except of course the real numbers were:

2015 .278-67-287 Glasco
2016 .328-86-401 Glasco
2017 .298-60-318 Glasco
2018 .296-50-275 Stein

There's no doubt the run production was down over the last couple years, but I'd mostly attribute that to the fact that this year's squad faced a lot more elite pitching than last year's due to the conference schedule being so different.

I'd like to see another season under Stein before making a judgment there. He's definitely going to be tested this year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.