So who comes back?

25,071 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Spyderman
Postal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kilkenny, Kolek, Helman, Janca, Hoffman, Bedford are all listed as Juniors for this season. Any reason to suspect Kilkenny, Kolek, or Helman return?

I see only Sherrod, Chafin, and Schoenvogel listed as Seniors.

I guess my point is, the Ags might be pretty salty next season. I don't expect either Kolek or Kilkenny back, but maybe Jozwiak, Lacy, or Conlon can step up and fill out the rotation.
Sananag
Dave South
Aggie_Jeff
I have no clue but I would imagine the only guys that could be drafted high are Helman and Hoffman.
Beau Holder
AG
I'd prefer a whole new roster.

EDIT: Save Dox and Hoff.
spanky
AG
Shew will be back, you don't want him?
Captn_Ag05
AG
If things go our way, we may be able finish 10th in conference next year
Beau Holder
AG
spanky said:

Year 1 Shew or Year 2?
Beau Holder
AG
(Yes, of course. Just need to purge all the salt from my veins before the offseason feels real.)
aeroag14
AG
Beau Holder said:

spanky said:

Year 1 Shew or Year 2?

Both
jkag89
Beau Holder said:

spanky said:

Year 1 Shew or Year 2?
Year 2 Shew will still help the team. Saying that I hope that Shew breaks out of his "Sophomore Slump" in the same manner Jonathan India busted out of his this year.
KidDoc
AG
Beau Holder said:

I thought Wingate had some good flashes with his late season hitting and fielding.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ShaggySLC
KidDoc said:

Beau Holder said:

I thought Wingate had some good flashes with his late season hitting and fielding.
Wingate seems to be a ballplayer. They'll have plenty of talent next year, especially if Helman and Hoffman come back.
Postal
AG
A better question is who are we going to recruit for next year.

I brought up who is coming back because we also have to remember that these guys will get better next season as well. They weren't terrible this year, not by a long shot.

I think the biggest problem with this season was the pitching. Dox started the season as a bullpen guy, but he finished the season as the best pitcher on the staff. Maybe being not included at the beginning was how he gathered the motivation to pitch so well. But I think that the entire "shuffle" with Kolek, Kilkenny, Dox as the Friday night guy didn't allow any of them to get comfortable in his own spot.

technoviking
AG
Postal said:

A better question is who are we going to recruit for next year.

I brought up who is coming back because we also have to remember that these guys will get better next season as well. They weren't terrible this year, not by a long shot.

I think the biggest problem with this season was the pitching. Dox started the season as a bullpen guy, but he finished the season as the best pitcher on the staff. Maybe being not included at the beginning was how he gathered the motivation to pitch so well. But I think that the entire "shuffle" with Kolek, Kilkenny, Dox as the Friday night guy didn't allow any of them to get comfortable in his own spot.

https://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx?college=1740

Grayson Rodriguez and Noah Naylor will be going to the MLB pending a miracle. But, those are the recruits for next year.
Spyderman
AG
Postal said:

Kilkenny, Kolek, Helman, Janca, Hoffman, Bedford are all listed as Juniors for this season. Any reason to suspect Kilkenny, Kolek, or Helman return?

I see only Sherrod, Chafin, and Schoenvogel listed as Seniors.

I guess my point is, the Ags might be pretty salty next season. I don't expect either Kolek or Kilkenny back, but maybe Jozwiak, Lacy, or Conlon can step up and fill out the rotation.

Need a total/complete attitude adjustment.
Goose06
AG
We could have an all lefty starting rotation next year (including tuesdays) with Dox, Lacy, Joz and Saenz.
twk
AG
Dox needs to pitch like a SEC Friday night ace next year from the get go. We expected him to be the ace coming into the fall, but Childress was so displeased with the results in fall ball that Dox wasn't even in the rotation when the season started. Some of that is probably on Dox, but some of it is on Childress--the failure to have a true Friday ace (we've had some guys be serviceable in that role, but not dominant) has been a major problem since we entered the SEC.

Lacy needs to take the next step and show us that he can pitch like he did at Hoover over the course of the season. I feel pretty good about this happening.

Someone will need to step up and be the number 3. It would be nice if Conlon could live up to the draft hype and take the step--nobody really expected much from him this year, given some health problems and his lack of control (he was drafted on raw arm strength), but there are other candidates for this job.

I don't know if Hoffman will be back--you'd think that he would strike while the iron is hot and capitalize on his breakout season.

Helman will be interesting, as will some others. I've heard things about kids staying, but when you consider the fact that we've got new guys coming in, some of these guys that have options are going to elect to go--that's just the math.
KidDoc
AG
I'm relatively new to baseball fandom but I think this years team had issues across the board I don't think you can just pin it on pitching. Sure pitching was an issue particularly with the walks and hit batters but you cannot say that our fielding or batting was exceptional either. The team showed bursts of greatness in all phases of the game but could not consistently bring it all together. If pitching didn't doom a game then errors would or the bats would go cold as ice.

I'm not a baseball coach so not sure how to fix it but I would rate the team sub-par across the board when looking across the entire season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
threeanout
AG
Goose06 said:

We could have an all lefty starting rotation next year (including tuesdays) with Dox, Lacy, Joz and Saenz.
And if that staff could only perform like our lefty starting rotation in '93....
annie88
AG
Beau Holder said:

OKCAGS
Will be very interesting on who comes back . The SEC is different , there are lots of teams that get kids to come back for their Senior years ..... even after decent Jr seasons Florida , Miss St , Ole Miss have several Sr's that are playing important roles for them . These guys are invaluable to a program .

Our 2 "Seniors that came back " , Chafin and Sherrod did not have the impact we all thought they would , but just getting them to come back ( and setting a precedent) could pay off for Rob , with this years group and in the future.

Helman , Hoffman and Andritsos ( as a draft eligible Soph ) are true wild cards . If they come back .... they are all 3 - Day 1 impact guys in key roles . More importantly though , is they will be TEAM LEADERS something this years team did not have . All 3 were 1st year players with the team , so it was hard for them to take leadership roles ..... and even harder for teammates to accept them immediately in those roles. These guys coming back is Rob's most important "recruiting job" this summer.
Sean98
AG
OKCAGS said:

Our 2 "Seniors that came back " , Chafin and Sherrod did not have the impact we all thought they would , but just getting them to come back ( and setting a precedent) could pay off for Rob , with this years group and in the future.

Or, because the 2 seniors (potentially) saw their draft status take a tumble they might be the cautionary tale that causes the Jr/So classes to head to pro ball now.

The only certainty in all this is that every player has their own agenda, their own wants, their own plan. Some kids go to college/return to school when it seemingly makes no sense. Others go pro and forego their amateur status for essential no money.

All we can do is wish them the best with whatever their decision is.
Beau Holder
AG
Sean98 said:

OKCAGS said:

Or, because the 2 seniors (potentially) saw their draft status take a tumble they might be the cautionary tale that causes the Jr/So classes to head to pro ball now.

That was my thought, as well. Have to feel bad for Chafin, in particular.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Same might be said for several programs. Luken Baker is definitely not getting the money he thought he was going to get a few years ago when he opted to go to TCU
Wicked Good Ag
I have had discussions with some former minor league ball players. Minor league life is rough and many told me if it wasn't for the drop in money they would have stayed and regret not staying on campus. That said the seniors don't have any bargaining power so you have to leave if you wanna go as a junior if the money is there.
Chafin I thought already had a job lined up and came back for another run at Omaha but I could be mistaken but it wouldn't have been to really improve draft stock I wouldn't think
OKCAGS
Sure it is a risk ..... and the kids might have seen Chafin And Sherrod struggle , but others have stayed and are still playing with the chance to get to Omaha . Every kid is different and situation is different . $ might not be the overriding factor with some of these kids .
Aggie1205
AG
Many senior signs happen rounds 6-10 and they only get around a 10k signing bonus.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Still can't believe that Oregon State diddler is going to sign an MLB contract
Aggie1205
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Hasn't been drafted yet.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Aggie1205 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Hasn't been drafted yet.

He will though
OKCAGS
Take Hoffman off my list of potential guys who might come back . 5th round . Wow .
HoustonAg2106
AG
OKCAGS said:

Take Hoffman off my list of potential guys who might come back . 5th round . Wow .

Turned into one of the best closers in the SEC

I can't wait to watch him talk to himself while pitching to Mike Trout
William_C_G
AG
I know we're all disappointed with how this season turned out, but no-one is more disappointed than our fellow Ags on the team. Some comments here are mean and hurtful.

As a proud Ag, I'm embarrassed by them. How can we say we're the best fans if we don't act like it?
OKCAGS
If Hoff can develop a solid change up to go with the velocity and action on his fastball ( with that arm slot ) he could be a great closer ..... at any level .

I had hoped he would be back ..... to work with Rob and add that change up to his tool box ..... but the 5th round is probably too much $$$ to pass up.
Sandman98
AG
Beau Holder said:

You should be better than the average internet guy who can't name more than five returning players. Our returning roster will be about as good as anybody's. We act spoiled when we don't realize how good a guy like Roa is about to be. He'll be an elite college pitcher. We'll have more front line lefties than any staff in the country. We might have our entire infield back (don't ignore the value of another year of physical maturity and experience).

We'll have a really talented sophomore in CF who started as a Freshman. Wingate is a valuable returning piece. Those suggesting we don't have any recruits are simply ignorant. The flow of talent isn't slowing regardless of expected draft losses. We'll plug holes with a late juco addition or two because we almost always do. With so many having strong negative opinions of the roster it's really sad how few of them understand who we actually have.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.