Latest field of 64 projection: Aggies to t.u. regional

7,526 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by VegasAg86
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-64-april-25/

1. Texas
4. Quinnipiac
3. Sam Houston
2. Texas A&M

Paired with Florida
BillE1976
AG
D1baseball thinks tu is this great team. They lost a game to a #203 rpi New Orleans. They still have to play Tech. I do not see them getting a regional.
HoustonAg2106
AG
BillE1976 said:

D1baseball thinks tu is this great team. They lost a game to a #203 rpi New Orleans. They still have to play Tech. I do not see them getting a regional.

They will if they win the Big 12...currently they are ahead of Tech in the standings and only one game behind Oklahoma State (who Texas beat in a series already)

Edit: So Texas has the tiebreaker over Oklahoma State and finishes with West Virginia, Tech, and TCU. Oklahoma State finishes with Oklahoma, Tech, and Baylor. Tech has to play the top two teams in the conference the last 3 weeks so I'm going to say Texas has a very good chance to win the conference and host actually.

Oregon State, Georgia, and Kentucky have all lost to teams outside the top 200 and will probably host as well.
TXAggie2011
AG
The problem for them is not losing a series to New Orleans, per se. A couple of losses to a ~200 team won't keep them from hosting. The problem is their RPI is 30.
HoustonAg2106
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

The problem for them is not losing a series to New Orleans, per se. A couple of losses to a ~200 team won't keep them from hosting. The problem is their RPI is 30.

They will move up even if they lose two out of three at Tech as long as they take care of bottom feeder West Virginia and then TCU who is down right now.
nereus
AG
Don't forget OU. They are only 2 games out (1 behind TX) and have by far the easiest remaining schedule of the teams at the top of the log jam. They have OSU and then the 2 Kansas schools.
HoustonAg2106
AG
nereus said:

Don't forget OU. They are only 2 games out (1 behind TX) and have by far the easiest remaining schedule of the teams at the top of the log jam. They have OSU and then the 2 Kansas schools.

Well Texas has the tiebreaker over them so they are two games behind Texas
W
AG
check minus for D1 on those pairings.

can't have Tech at #3 and t.u. at #16. They both can't win the head-to-head series...which each needs to justify their seeding
TXAggie2011
AG
W said:

can't have Tech at #3 and t.u. at #16. They both can't win the head-to-head series...which each needs to justify their seeding
Tech has 15 top 50 wins. Only Florida has more (16). Only Florida State has as many.

No one else has more than 12 (Arkansas). Vanderbilt has 11. Four teams have 10, including Oklahoma (who Tech has 2 wins over.)

I know you hate it, but Texas Tech is going to get a very nice seed assuming they don't implode versus TCU.
OKCAGS
Texas hosting on D1 is ridiculous . They have an RPI of 30 . That would be the highest ever RPI to host I think .
AB2
AG
Certainly the highest ever from a southern school.
HoustonAg2106
AG
OKCAGS said:

Texas hosting on D1 is ridiculous . They have an RPI of 30 . That would be the highest ever RPI to host I think .

They are predicting that their RPI will end up in the teens after playing Tech on the road and more than like winning the series vs TCU

If they win the Big 12 , which is very possible right, they are no doubt going to host
Luke The Drifter
AG
Remember, Texas also dropped a game at home to 200+ RPI Northwestern. And lost 2 of 3 to 100+ RPI Kansas State. The Horns certainly are playing better now, but you cannot ignore the Northwestern-KSU-New Orleans hickeys on their resume.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TXAggie2011
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Remember, Texas also dropped a game at home to 200+ RPI Northwestern. And lost 2 of 3 to 100+ RPI Kansas State. The Horns certainly are playing better now, but you cannot ignore the Northwestern-KSU-New Orleans hickeys on their resume.
You can't ignore it but you can't ignore the "hickeys" on other resumes, too.

UConn, NC State, Kentucky, FAU, Jacksonville, etc...there are a lot of teams with plausible regional host RPIs that have hickeys, and even clubs like Oregon State, competing for a top 8 seed, have some hickeys.
Serious Lee
kendall rogers goes out of his way to prove hes not some aggie blowhard.

his finest moment was back in 2005 when he posted that UT winning the national championship in Fball was good for A&M. Yes, he actually said that.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-64-april-25/

1. Texas
4. Quinnipiac
3. Sam Houston
2. Texas A&M

Paired with Florida

Quinnipiac! I've been wanting to play them for a while now; that would be awesome.
nereus
AG
Quinnipiac isn't one of the better 4 seeds. Unfortunately for you, the most likely scenario where we would play them with that draw would be losing to Sam Houston in the opening game.
Mr.Ackar07
RPI breakdown of A&M vs t.u.

Records against RPI teams:
(A&M/t.u.)

1-50: 5-6/8-8
51-100: 9-4/6-3
101-150: 7-1/6-2
151-297: 9-0/9-2

SOS: 29/33

Pretty even teams, but since Texas wins the Big XII (based on D1s prediction), they get to host and have a 2 seed that could be a host in their tournament.

Against common opponents, A&M is 5-1 plus a win over Texas; Texas is 6-2

The only advantage Texas has other than a hypothetical conference title is series wins over #28 OU, #35 OSU, and #44 Baylor; A&M does not have a series win over any Top 50 RPI team, but that is because 5 of the 10 SEC series the Ags will play in are against current Top 10 RPI teams; there aren't many semi-decent matchups until this weekend against Miss St.
powerbelly
AG
I am fine with winning the texas regional.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Oh you're right, didn't think about that.
TexasAggie81
I'd rather not play t.u. on their home field. There is no reason a school of that stature and location should have an artificial turf field. Really ridiculous. It provides them with a decided advantage in over half of their games. Hence, they have a much better record than the quality of their team indicates. This fact alone should keep them from hosting a regional. Baseball was intended to be played on grass --- not plastic. But it's up to the Aggies (and how they play) to snatch back the regional from the wronghorns. I hope we do it. I hate burnt orange.
Jimmy_the_gent
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

There is no reason a school of that stature and location should have an artificial turf field. Really ridiculous. It provides them with a decided advantage in over half of their games.
Didn't stop us from winning the Houston Regional and that field was atrocious
Aggieangler93
AG
If we are paired with the Florida regional, as they predict, that means the Supers would be almost impossible to survive.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Wabs
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

I'd rather not play t.u. on their home field. There is no reason a school of that stature and location should have an artificial turf field. Really ridiculous. It provides them with a decided advantage in over half of their games. Hence, they have a much better record than the quality of their team indicates. This fact alone should keep them from hosting a regional. Baseball was intended to be played on grass --- not plastic. But it's up to the Aggies (and how they play) to snatch back the regional from the wronghorns. I hope we do it. I hate burnt orange.
Alot of the parents on my son's high school team want turf for our field (it's grass right now). I keep telling them NO! NO! NO!

MAROON
AG
Wabs said:

TexasAggie81 said:

Alot of the parents on my son's high school team want turf for our field (it's grass right now). I keep telling them NO! NO! NO!

turf in high school has an advantage regarding rain outs. Nice to be able to play games after it rains over night as opposed to a lot of schools that have to cancel.

But ya I get the hate of turf.
W
AG
W said:

okay, where were we on this thread?

big check minus for D1 as both t.u. and Tech lose their series and just about hand the Big 12 title to Oklahoma State. Their big series next weekend is for 2nd place.

really doubt A&M is going to an Austin regional
Leander - Ag
AG
Tu blows. We will host them
Ragoo
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Tu blows. We will host them
they may not make the field.
AG
TAM85
Texas will need to win 2 of 3 in Lubbock to get back into the host conversation.
AgEng06
AG
According to the RPI Needs Report, Texas no longer has a way to reach the top 16.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
What does that have to do with sip hosting a regional?
AG
TAM85 said:

Texas will need to win 2 of 3 in Lubbock to get back into the host conversation.
Their only hope is to win the conference, and Oklahoma State has a pretty healthy lead there.
AgEng06
AG
Fair enough.
Sean98
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

What does that have to do with sip hosting a regional?
I know the spirit in which the comment was offered, but in reality it's also an accurate statement. Getting into the Top 20, or maybe even 24 might be enough given the lack of Texas regionals. ...of course this year there's likely to be a limited number of Texas teams in the field as well so maybe you don't need them.

Weird year host site wise... No Louisiana site, no Houston site, no D/FW site. Lots and lots throughout the Gulf/Lower Atlantic coast states as always. Maybe only 3 out west? Could be a lot of interesting travel for teams this year.

Edit: for example UCLA is hosting in D1s most recent projection at #31 RPI. (Take that projection for what it's worth)
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.