Wayne Graham out after this year

3,341 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ja86
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
trouble
Aggie12B
AG
Well, that will definitely speed up the pace of play for future Rice baseball games.
W
AG
yep, it's time to go.

the program has been in a decline since 2009
Aggie12B
AG
Wayne was definitely the right man at the right time when he was hired at Rice. He's been a great coach at Rice and at San Jac before that. He just hung around a little too long.
threeanout
AG
Berkman to take over?
BQ_90
AG
rumor is former player trying push him out to get the job.

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.
HoustonAg2106
AG
threeanout said:

Berkman to take over?
Highly doubt it, experience (as a coach) and culture wise.
ptothemo
AG
threeanout said:

Berkman to take over?
I think there was something on another thread that he is not qualified to coach there because they require a four year degree. I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was definitely along those lines.
HoustonAg2106
AG
ptothemo said:

threeanout said:

Berkman to take over?
I think there was something on another thread that he is not qualified to coach there because they require a four year degree. I don't remember exactly what was said, but it was definitely along those lines.

According to Wikipedia he got his degree from Rice in 2014
TXAggie2011
AG
They could do better than Berkman.

What a legend Wayne Graham is. He is the only Rice Owl baseball coach a generation or two of baseball fans know.

And what a testament to his tenure that making regionals each year has been a noticeable, huge drop off.

Its a shame they're really falling off this final season and he won't go off with a little more glory.
Basketball and Chain
AG
BQ_90 said:

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.

Not sure Deggs would be a great fit with their donor base.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

BQ_90 said:

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.

Not sure Deggs would be a great fit with their donor base.

Not sure about Berkman either, they're pretty liberal right?
ptothemo
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

ptothemo said:

threeanout said:

Berkman to take over?

According to Wikipedia he got his degree from Rice in 2014

Yeah, I just went back to the prior post and see it was referencing Pettite and not Berkman (they were both being talked about as potential replacements). Sorry for the mix up.
Shane Minks
AG
BQ_90 said:

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.
I don't see Deggs leaving. Him & SHSU seem like a match made in heaven.
TXAggie2011
AG
Rice is a diverse campus with a diverse set of alumni from across the spectrum. You'll actually find many a Rice donors that have their names around College Station, too.
threeanout
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

threeanout said:

Berkman to take over?
Highly doubt it, experience (as a coach) and culture wise.
He has actively pursued the job for a while. Took the HC gig at Second Baptist while waiting on Graham. Some pretty influential alumni and donors want to see Lance get the job.
96ags
AG
Shane Minks said:

BQ_90 said:

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.
I hope you are right. If you are and Rice hires Berkman/Petite, I believe Sam will quickly take Rice's spot in the Texas collegiate baseball hierarchy.

Rice wasn't much of a program before Graham and that won't be after if they go the former player route in my opinion.

Its not like either of those names register big with many of the kids they would be recruiting.
W
AG
is Sam Houston working to get out of the Southland?

the league is awful without Texas State, UTA, and others that have left.

currently the #19 ranked RPI conference. Basically forcing Sam to win the tournament every year to get in the field. Deggs might get tired of that soon
HoustonAg2106
AG
Shane Minks said:

BQ_90 said:

I'd hire Deggs from Sam.
Deggs will leave a bigger job eventually, but I agree it might be a few more years before he does.
BohunkAg
AG
W said:

is Sam Houston working to get out of the Southland?

the league is awful without Texas State, UTA, and others that have left.

currently the #19 ranked RPI conference. Basically forcing Sam to win the tournament every year to get in the field. Deggs might get tired of that soon
Uhhhh, where would they go?
Beau Holder
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Rice is a diverse campus with a diverse set of alumni from across the spectrum. You'll actually find many a Rice donors that have their names around College Station, too.

Somehow it's just TexAgs tribal knowledge that Rice is mega-liberal. My experience there has not reflected that at all.

Rice should've made this move when they could still get Pierce. Not sure where they will go now, but very curious.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Beau Holder said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Somehow it's just TexAgs tribal knowledge that Rice is mega-liberal. My experience there has not reflected that at all.

Rice should've made this move when they could still get Pierce. Not sure where they will go now, but very curious.

I guess they just have the feel of a west coast school, but I don't think that's based on anything specific

But Berkman doesn't just lean right, he's ultra conservative and very outspoken about it
W
AG
therein lies the rub.

Texas State went to the Sun Belt.

UTA went to the Sun Belt.

UTSA went to the C-USA.

the Southland is terrible and forcing Sam to win the end of year tournament. Not going to get an at-large bid due to so many games vs. teams with 100+ 150+ 200+ RPI's.
Aggie97
AG
Sam would not leave the Southland because of baseball. The Southland is a decent football conference usually putting 2 teams in the playoffs every year.
BohunkAg
AG
Exactly.....they'd have to go D-1 (FBS) in football....which I don't think they are prepared to do.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Southland isn't normally this bad. It has been a 2-bid league 4 of the 5 seasons since teams left.

Last year on selection day, SE Louisiana was 27, McNeese was 44, and Sam Houston was 54 in RPI.

This year, Sam Houston is the only team inside the top 101 at 57.

Its probably not been as good as it used to be, but its normally a decent conference.

Anonymous Source
S
They should go after Kirk Saarloos from TCU
Gig 'Em
TMartin
After watching Graham for many years it will probably take him three years to retire he moves so damn slow.
agswin1988
AG

Not sure I agree with your assessment that Berkman and Pettitte will not resonate with recruits here in Houston.

My kids range from elementary to high school and all know who they are and their accomplishments at the major league level.

They would all play for them in a heartbeat.

Rice wouldn't even have to recruit outside the Houston area would be more likely
jkag89
Definitely a one bid league this season (and for most of its history) but it was a two bid league in '16 & '17.
W
AG
I don't think Rice baseball still has the same advantages it had during Graham's best years: 1997 to 2008.

from facilities to conference affiliation to TV exposure to pitch counts, etc..,

also program changing hitters like Jose Cruz Jr. or Lance Berkman or even Bubba Crosby rarely make it to campus nowadays. It's been 10 years since Rice's last star position player (Anthony Rendon) committed to the program

agswin1988
AG
10 years ago Graham was still 72 years old correct??
HoustonAg2106
AG
CollegeStationAgFan said:

They should go after Kirk Saarloos from TCU

100% there is a 0% that will happen
peace
S
Time for Coach to take his leave from the dugout. He just turned 82. Retirement, enjoy!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.