SEC Midweek Games (4/24 -4/25)

3,136 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jkag89
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SEC Standings

All Times Central - The Poll used is D1 Baseball.com

Tuesday April 24th
Final: Mercer 6 - #1 Florida 4 Box Score
#25 Tennessee Tech at Tennessee (Posstponed to 4/25 due to expected inclement weather)
Final: South Carolina 10 - Furman 2 Box Score
Georgia at Georgia Tech (Postponed to 4/25 due to heavy rains)
Final: #6 Ole Miss 6 - Mississippi St. 7 Box Score (Trustmark Park - Pearl MS) (Not an SEC game)
Final: Samford 2 - Auburn 7 Box Score
Final: Troy 3 - Bama 4 Box Score
Final: Abilene Christian 2 - #22 Fightin' Texas Aggies 8 Box Score
Final: Lamar 0 - LSU 8 Box Score
Final: Missouri St. 2 - Mizzou 8 Box Score
Final: #4 tech 1 - #7 Arkansas 5 Box Score

Wednesday April 25th
Final: #25 Tennessee Tech 7 - Tennessee 6 Box Score
Final: Georgia 8 - Georgia Tech 3 Box Score
Final: Morehead St. 1 - #14 Kentucky 7 Box Score
#4 tech at #7 Arkansas (Cancelled due to persistent rain and in consideration of tech's travel plans)

No scheduled midweek games: Vandy

Other Area Games
Tuesday April 24th
Final: Baylor 17 -Texas St. 5 (7) Box Score
Final: Cougar High 4 - #19 t.u. 9 Box Score
Final: #23 Okie State 4 - Dallas Baptist 2 (11) Box Score
Final: Stephen F. Austin St. 5 - TCU 15 Box Score
Wicked Good Ag
Are we not playing ??
jkag89

Fixed
Wicked Good Ag
And thanks again for doing this.
Sean98
Sean98
AG
Fun mini-set at Fayettenam this week.
CapCityAg89
AG
Sean98 said:

Fun mini-set at Fayettenam this week.

Rooting for the meteor.
Aggie12B
AG
Thanks for doing this each week, John
Luke The Drifter
AG
Looks like the D1 Baseball Poll has opted to be a gimmick, similar to what Collegiate Baseball has been doing. Examples:

Coastal Carolina goes 2-2 for the week (2 wins over Ga. State, 1 loss to Ga. State and 1 loss to UNC-Wilmington), and moves up 2 spots from 20 to 18. Their overall record is 28-14.

Texas goes 4-1 for the week, beating lowly UT-RGV, Texas Southern and New Orleans (twice) and then actually loses (at home) to New Orleans...a team with an RPI in the 180 range...and moves up 2 spots from 21 to 19.

Tennessee Tech is 34-5...but does anyone actually believe they are one of the 25 best teams in the country?

Minnesota plays no mid-week game, then goes 2-1 AT HOME, losing a game to IOWA for heaven's sake...yet goes up 4 spots from 25 to 21.

On the flip side...

Michigan is on a 20-game winning streak...not ranked.

Texas A&M goes 2-2 for the week...loses 2 games on the road to a formidable opponent in Tennessee...and falls SIX SPOTS from 16 down to 22.

Georgia goes 2-2 vs. Clemson (win) and Ole Miss (win, loss, loss)...and drops out of the poll. No one in the country played a tougher schedule this week than UGA, yet they fall out despite going .500, which included 3 games on the road in Oxford.

Looks like D1 Baseball is fishing for click bait more than they are looking to rank the best 25 teams in the country. That's a shame...I always held them in high regard because of their neutral stance and lack of sensationalism, but it appears they've given that up in favor of the "LOOK AT ME" rating system.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
jkag89
The biggest head scratchers for me are Arkansas only dropping four spots after being swept by Mississippi St. Maybe if it this was their one hiccup for the season but I do not understand why they are in the Top 10. Kentucky is finally being punished a bit but IMO their season somewhat mirrors the Ags yet they are still in the Top 15. The real head scratcher is Georgia falling out of the poll, went .500 against tough competition while Clemson a team they beat this week jumps five spots because of their sweep of sub-,500 Wake Forest?
hogfan14
jkag89 said:

The biggest head scratchers for me are Arkansas only dropping four spots after being swept by Mississippi St. Maybe if it this was their one hiccup for the season but I do not understand why they are in the Top 10.

SOS helps, but looking at this your point about Georgia is probably right, not sure why they aren't higher.

MMantle
AG
Is Tennessee a formidable opponent?

RR
Luke The Drifter
AG
MMantle said:

Is Tennessee a formidable opponent?

RR

Yes, especially when compared to teams that other Top 25 teams lost to. Losing to Tennessee on the road is much more formidable than losing to teams like Iowa and New Orleans at home.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
W
AG
I think the pollsters don't know what to do with the SEC this year. Florida is #1. But then after UF, the next 8 or 9 teams are very close. Each has good series win and each has bad series losses
W
AG
Arkansas leading Tech 5-1 at the stretch.

this is a big game for both leagues
jkag89
The tards strikeout 17 times tonight against the Piggies.
W
AG
so Tech and t.u. --- the 2 best teams in the Big 12 --- are a combined 2-8 vs. the SEC.

I trust the selection committee is aware of this
jkag89
Okie State/DBU are knotted up at 2 in the 11th
South Carolina is up 9-2 in the 8th
I'm going to bed.
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

so Tech and t.u. --- the 2 best teams in the Big 12 --- are a combined 2-8 vs. the SEC.

Oklahoma is actually (for now) ahead of Texas in the RPI...and OU went 2-1 vs. Bama.

WVU...just behind Texas in the RPI...will play no SEC teams during the regular season.

Okie State...just behind WVU...is, and will be, 0-0 vs. the SEC as well.

Texas...1-2 at LSU, 0-2 at Arkansas, 0-1 at A&M. Credit for playing them all on the road (clearly Gus was not in charge of scheduling), but that 1-5 mark doesn't look great.

Texas Tech...1-2 at Kentucky, 0-1 at Arkansas (so far). Again, credit for making the road trips, but 1-3 in those games has to sting.

ja86
AG
W said:

Hahaha I chuckled...
jkag89
Other Tuesday Top 25 Scores
Pacific 1 - #2 Stanford 4
#5 Oregon St. 9 - Portland 2
Fullerton 4 - #9 UCLA 12
South Alabama 3 - #11 Southern Miss 5
Kennesaw St. 4 - #12 Clemson 9
#16 Florida St. 3 - Stetson 5
#20 Connecticut 9 - Holy Cross 6
Bethune-Cookman 3 - #24 South Florida

Other Wednesday Top 25 Scores
Western Carolina 2 - #10 North Carolina 8
Presbyterian College 4 - #12 Clemson 14
#15 Indiana 3 - Purdue 5
South Dakota St. 2 - #21 Minnesota 6
W
AG
wow, Georgia shot up to #5 in the RPI with their win tonight.

and D1 Baseball doesn't even have them ranked
Luke The Drifter
AG
I'm telling you...D1Baseball is turning into click-bait central. It's like they're not even trying to list the best 25 teams in the country, just trying to get more Twitter followers and paid subscriptions. Very disappointing. I used to really, really like the genuine coverage they had. Now they're the college baseball version of Bleacher Report.

jkag89
Unfortunately it seems to be true. They always liked to give recognition to lesser known schools when they were having a good stretch of games like Tennessee Tech is this season but overall there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason for why teams are moving up or down in the poll frome week to week this year. I specifically chose the D1 poll when asked to include rankings for these threads because I felt it was the most consistent of all the polls out there. Unfortunately that is no longer true but the problem is none of the polls are particularly consistent. Maybe RPI but it generally takes until the midpoint of the season for it to be a good indication of how a team's season is going.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.