WTH has happened to Chafin?

4,238 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gyles Marrett
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obviously his stuff doesn't look near the same as last year but he also appears less "into it". Last year that dude was a freaking fire cracker with the attitude of someone that didn't think they could be beat. It's like watching an entirely different pitcher this year. The only thing I can assume is lack of results killed the personality/confidence?
technoviking
AG
Pure speculation here...

He came back for his senior year with the idea being that he'd get a shot at the starting rotation. Maybe not landing any starting spot has lowered his confidence significantly?
powerbelly
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Obviously his stuff doesn't look near the same as last year but he also appears less "into it". Last year that dude was a freaking fire cracker with the attitude of someone that didn't think they could be beat. It's like watching an entirely different pitcher this year. The only thing I can assume is lack of results killed the personality/confidence?
Small sample size combined with a kid struggling a bit.

Bullpen arms are hard to forecast and notoriously unreliable year to year.
Gyles Marrett
Very true, in hindsight he's probably wishing he had cashed out last year. Hoping he turns it around. Loved watching him pitch last season.
TMartin
You could possibly add Sherrod to this thread. Expected A&M to get to the middle innings and then have lock down set up and closer. RC is the pitching guru so what can you say.
RC II
S
I have wonder the same things about Chafin. Last year he was nails. Can definitely add Sherrod to that list, maybe even Kolek.
VegasAg86
AG
TMartin said:

You could possibly add Sherrod to this thread. Expected A&M to get to the middle innings and then have lock down set up and closer. RC is the pitching guru so what can you say.

We should get rid of RC and bring back last year's pitching coach. He did a lot better job coaching Chafin and Sherrod.
MMantle
AG
Chafin's stuff looks the same to me, he's throwing too many fat pitches.

RR
Theresnocryinginbaseball
Chafin to start tomorrow. This will light him up. Excited for the future!!
MMantle
AG
I like it, completely different mindset, starting vs relieving.

RR
ensign_beedrill
AG
Theresnocryinginbaseball said:

I wondered if that might be on tap when Joz threw a bit this weekend.
Foxo
AG
We really, really need Chafin to come back if we expect to advance very far.
OptionRead
AG
RC II said:

I have wonder the same things about Chafin. Last year he was nails. Can definitely add Sherrod to that list, maybe even Kolek.
This is about the point in the season where Kolek got rolling last year with the slider, IIRC.

I've never bought the Sherrod talk though... Seems like he has always been a two-pitch guy whose 94-95 MPH fastball is either way out of the zone or belt high and right down the pipe. We rarely see the "incredible" sink that we've heard about during the last two fall semesters.

Need Joz or Chafin to get it going in a bad way if we're going to make a run.
Sean98
AG
When he stays on top of the ball he has good downward tilt. But his breaking ball isn't very effective from up there, so he has a tendency to get on the side of the ball a little... When that happens his fastball flattens out. Personally I'd rather he stay up top and go with the 2 pitch fastball/change mix. But it's awful hard to not encourage someone to develop a 3rd pitch for the repertoire. It's just tough to do mid-season.
TMartin
I read he pitched three innings last night.....how was he?
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
A lot of contact... looked better but also competition not great
skins74
AG
RC manages pitchers like Sumlin managed QBs.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
It's hard to be as wrong as you are in this post. Congrats I guess
ColoradoMooseHerd
Skins is obviously not a baseball fan
trouble
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Skins is obviously not a baseball fan

Yup
Aggie12B
AG
Final line for Chafin for the week

8.1 allowing 1 earned in 3 appearances, 7 hits, 2 BB, 10 K's

CHAFIN REGAINING HIS FORM FROM LAST SEASON IS HUGE FOR US AND FOR OUR POST-SEASON HOPES!
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Agreed, Kaylor looked like a different guy this weekend... still not last season good but much better
mullokmotx
AG
I think Rob said this week he wanted to put Chafin in situations where he had time to prepare rather than coming in the game in the middle of the inning. Looks like that is working.
TempleAg97
AG
Chafin is back and just in time!
CapCityAg89
AG

Bumping this as it was a fantastic call by the rook. Oh, and user name checks out.
Gyles Marrett
skins74 said:

RC manages pitchers like Sumlin managed QBs.
That's impossible. NO ONE can mismanage something as badly as Sumlin did with QB's. It's just not possible.

I also want to take credit for a reverse jinx on Chafin by starting this thread He's looked better and better and this weekend was a lot more of what we were used to seeing with him. Going to need him and it's a good time in the year to start figuring it out.
CCAg95
AG
Now go start a Sherrod thread.
Aggies2009
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Bumping this as it was a fantastic call by the rook. Oh, and user name checks out.
I'm pretty sure that "rook" has personal ties to Chafin. They only seem to show up to defend Chafin's honor. Which I understand, just pointing it out.

That said, I'm freaking ecstatic that Chafin has started to get things going- he is a great player. If he can continue this and Lacy can look overpowering as he has at times, our bullpen will go from extremely shaky to almost lock down.
Gyles Marrett
CCAg95 said:

Now go start a Sherrod thread.
Good call. Going to put a reminder on the phone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.