The SEC needs to get rid of reviews

3,071 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
Postal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or at least put some conditions on when to review a play. Reviewing every questionable play is exhausting!
who?mikejones
AG
[Sports] needs to get rid of reviews.

Fify
VegasAg86
AG
who?mikejones said:

Fify

No way. I see the need the modify it for pace of play, but no way do I want to go back to clearly blown calls standing.
zagman
AG
The SEC need to improve it's umpires which would result in not needing a review.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Sean98
AG
Reviews need to happen immediately at an off site location. There is absolutely no need for umpires to leave the field of play to go and review a call. Before the umps could even gather to chat someone in Birmingham could have seen every angle of video and confirmed/overturned.
AggieBand2004
AG
Sean98 said:

Reviews need to happen immediately at an off site location. There is absolutely no need for umpires to leave the field of play to go and review a call. Before the umps could even gather to chat someone in Birmingham could have seen every angle of video and confirmed/overturned.

Something the NHL does very well
dermdoc
AG
Sean98 said:

Also you do not have the same guy who made the call reviewing his own call like Maceas last week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
threeanout
AG
What are the current limitations on reviews? I remember the Friday night game with Bama....Childress asked for a review of a pick off attempt at first on the Bama baserunner. The play was not even close (runner was easily back to bag), the game was not even close at the time and he was the only runner on base. Not exactly a real critical play.
Sean98
AG
Or even another member of his crew. No one wants to embarrass their friends, nor do they want to have to deal with a pissy little b**ch the rest of the year if you overturn their call.
Agco98
AG
I wonder about situations where the cameras and crew are questionable. Take this weekend at Tennessee for example, if they are reviewing the same low quality footage we are watching, there is no way they can overturn a call.
Sean98
AG
I honestly don't know what the conference/team facility agreements are but I don't see why there couldn't be dedicated cameras in each park that would cover probably 90% of the reviewed plays. More like "insurance" for potential crappy camera work by the home team production crew.
jt2hunt
AG
This times a thousand

An off site staff could have the answer almost instantly as to not slow down the game.
TexAg1987
Or maybe crowd source it with a quick online poll.
who?mikejones
AG
VegasAg86 said:

who?mikejones said:

Fify

No way. I see the need the modify it for pace of play, but no way do I want to go back to clearly blown calls standing.

This sport made it 150 years w/o replay. Its made it what, 35 or 40 years without replay while the technology has been available?

Deal with bad calls. Its part of the game. Its part of life. Overcome the adversity.

Or, get rid of all the umps and go fully digital. Its the fairest way possible. Don't half ass it if youre going to do it.

C Loves L
I like reviewing calls because the best performance deserves the victory. There does need to be a system that speeds things up. Maybe have a panel of former coaches or umpires/refs that review plays they feel are incorrect. If and when a challenge is requested the call can be made almost instantaneously
VegasAg86
AG
who?mikejones said:

VegasAg86 said:

who?mikejones said:

Fify

This sport made it 150 years w/o replay. Its made it what, 35 or 40 years without replay while the technology has been available?

Deal with bad calls. Its part of the game. Its part of life. Overcome the adversity.

Or, get rid of all the umps and go fully digital. Its the fairest way possible. Don't half ass it if youre going to do it.

I'm not a fan of "we do it this way because this is the way we do it". The genie is out of the bottle, it's not going back in.

I'd love to have a computer call balls and strikes, but that won't happen for a while. Just because we're not fully digital doesn't mean we're half assed. We're able to overturn the clearly bad calls, which is the point.
who?mikejones
AG
You can have your sterile ball. I, for one, wont be watching.
Sean98
AG
who?Mike doesn't like sterile balls... Noted.
who?mikejones
AG
Ha!
UnderoosAg
AG
There's only two balls I'll have anything to do with, they aren't clinically sterile, and by about 4:00 in the summer afternoon they aren't too physically sterile either.
Agsncws
AG
It doesnt need to go away completely. It needs to be improved dramatically. Quicker reviews, better process, limited number of reviews, increased technology (cameras and angles), etc.

I was watching a double header between Air Force and Nevada yesterday. There's barely a score board and PA announcer. Cameras and reviews.......not a chance. But there were several calls that could have and should have been reviewed. It leaves a very empty feeling when there is absolutely no recourse. It would be even worse at an SEC venue where the technology is there but we just arent bothering to review.

This is a turd worth polishing.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Gyles Marrett
Reviews are 100% worth the little extra time they relatively take if the right call is made. What needs to change is the standard should be what is most likely the right call. Too many times it looks like its about 80-90% chance the call should be overturned and the umpires (or refs in football) use the excuse of it wasn't indisputable. It takes the whole point away from a review. If it was that clear that it was indisputable they probably wouldn't be reviewing it to start with.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The SEC need to improve it's umpires

There aren't really "SEC" umpires. Only a few conferences (ACC is one; Pac 12 MAY be another) now use their own and the rest use one or two assigners. An umpire could conceivably work this weekend at A&M, next weekend at Oklahoma, and the next weekend at Notre Dame. Tuesday games are assigned mostly locally.

Incidentally, how would you improve the umpires?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.