****RPI Watch Thread****

18,612 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXAggie2011
Detective Jake Peralta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
5/6 PM Update:
After a 2-2 week that included a win over one of the worst teams in the country and a 1-2 split against the best, the Ags saw their RPI drop four spots. A&M is still in hosting range, but it'll take quite the finish against Arky and USCe. LSU jumped into the top 50 to give us another top 50 series win. UTA free-fell this week to give us our first truly "bad" loss this year from an RPI perspective

***All +/- numbers reflect RPI change from this past week's results***

Texas A&M RPI: 15 (previously 11)
Group One Record: 10-10 (6 games remaining)
Group Two Record: 8-3 (1 game remaining)
Group Three Record: 8-0 (0 games remaining)
Group Four Record: 8-1 (0 games remaining)

A&M Opponents:
----------Group 1----------
1. Florida (1-2 H) +1
4. Georgia (1-2 A) +3
6. Arkansas (5/11-13 A) -1
7. Auburn (1-2 A) -1
12. Ole Miss (1-2 H) -4
21. Texas (1-0 H) +9
38. Mississippi State (2-1 A) -3
42. South Carolina (5/17-19 H) +3
43. Baylor (1-0 N) -4
49. LSU (2-1 H) +4
----------Group 2----------
53. Sam Houston State (5/15 H) -7
62. La Tech (0-1 N) -7
64. Tennessee (1-2 A) +1
82. Alabama (3-0 H) -14
83. Rhode Island (3-0 H) -7
88. California (1-0 N) -10
----------Group 3----------
107. Rice (1-0 A) +16
126. Long Beach State (3-0 H) +17
133. Northwestern State (2-0 H) +21
139. Houston Baptist (1-0 H) -41
141. Texas State (1-0 H) -8
----------Group 4----------
155. UTA (0-1 H) -36
184. A&M-Corpus Christi (1-0 A) -8
195. Incarnate Word (1-0 H) -6
228. Cornell (3-0 H) +6
250. SFA (1-0 H) -3
267. Abilene Christian (1-0 H) -15
294. Prairie View A&M (1-0 H) -2

Other SEC/Local Teams
5. Texas Tech -2
18. Kentucky -5
22. Oklahoma State -1
32. Missouri -5
39. Vanderbilt -8
40. Oklahoma -4
54. Dallas Baptist -13
60. Houston -10
66. TCU +1
themissinglink
AG
Rhode Island is 10-25 and last in the Atlantic 10 conference (3-9 conference record) is at 97. Wow.

It helps us, so I guess I can't complain too much, but any ranking system which includes them as a top 100 team is a joke.
TempleAg97
AG
Great work. We have risen 9 spots in the RPI this week. The bad news for RPI is the next few weeks we play weaker RPI teams. The good news is if we keep playing well, we are actually not that far out of first in the West. All goals (host regional and super) still there for the taking. Great week!
TempleAg97
AG
On a totally separate note, why do we play Abeliene Christian and Prarie View? RPI killers even when we win. I hope they rain out.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Yeah Rhode Island is interesting. They have a terrible record, but have played the #1 non conference SOS with road trips to #12 A&M, #34 Jacksonville, #1 Florida and #25 Stetson (4 games) as well as a single game against #23 Northeastern. They've only played six home games total and have the #8 SOS overall.

It'll be interesting to see if they can remain in the top 100 to help our cause. They have some real RPI anchors they'll have to beat, and would probably need to win one or both of their games against #8 UCONN to have a shot.
sellthefarm
AG
Group 2 should be 7-2 I think
Agsncws
AG
themissinglink said:

Rhode Island is 10-25 and last in the Atlantic 10 conference (3-9 conference record) is at 97. Wow.

It helps us, so I guess I can't complain too much, but any ranking system which includes them as a top 100 team is a joke.

Their non-conference was heavily skewed to play games on the road and play teams with solid winning percentages. You'll very likely see them slide as the remainder of their schedule plays out.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Good catch
nereus
AG
TempleAg97 said:

On a totally separate note, why do we play Abeliene Christian and Prarie View? RPI killers even when we win. I hope they rain out.
I am guessing it is home games without a return trip. There are only so many schools willing to do that. I am guessing Sam Houston, TX State, Houston, etc. aren't interested in coming here multiple times a year without a return trip. We have 13 D1 Texas schools on our schedule. Looking at those missing from our schedule this year, some of those missing would want a return trip (TCU, Tech, and even Dallas Baptist might be pushing for a return trip (DBU has gotten return trips out of OU, Baylor, and tech in the last couple years). USTA doesn't seems to want many quality Tuesday road games based on their schedule the last two years of only having a couple. Others aren't much better RPI wise (UTRGV, Texas Southern, UIC). My guess is if we want to get rid of the sub 200 RPI Tuesday games from our schedule, we are going to have to give up some home games.

On a related note, what does a school get out of scheduling us for a Tuesday game without a return trip? For a school like Sam Houston, an RPI boost might help them get into an at large range one year. I'm not sure a few places in RPI is really meaningful to a team like ACU, Prarie View, Houston Baptist, etc. that will be well out of at-large range.

Do the schools get anything else out it other than RPI boost? Does it work like football where we paid them a small amount to come without a return trip? Is it something they use in recruiting by telling recruits they will have a chance to prove themselves against the bigger competition and stick it to those bigger schools that didn't want them?
W
AG
what adds to the intrigue this season is that all regional hosts are seeded #1 thru #16.

if A&M ends up in the #9 thru #16 range...would like to be #14 at a minimum in order to avoid likely #1 Florida in the SR round and perhaps #2 Stanford
TempleAg97
AG
Nereus - Good answer and I think you are right. I still wish we'd find a way to get rid of them. We need an RPI expert to show us how replacing those teams with a 150ish RPI team might affect our overall RPI.
aeroag14
AG
W said:

what adds to the intrigue this season is that all regional hosts are seeded #1 thru #16.

if A&M ends up in the #9 thru #16 range...would like to be #14 at a minimum in order to avoid likely #1 Florida in the SR round and perhaps #2 Stanford

All the more reason to take advantage of these next two weeks (and final week against USCe). If we could pull off 7-2 against Tenn, State and USCe that would really help. Couple that with 2-4 or (hopefully) 3-3 against Arky and florida and you are looking at 18-12 in the SEC and likely finishing in the top 2 in our division (if not outright winning it).

Obviously, that is easier said than done. But that would probably keep us inside of the top 14 or so come seeding time.
Luke The Drifter
AG
TempleAg97 said:

My guess is to give us a break from the SEC grind, but still get some Tuesday night work in. I just can't see any team being wildly successful if they had to play 10 straight weekends of SEC play and also play 10 straight Tuesdays vs. top 75 (or so) RPI teams. At some point you've got to give the fellas a break, let some of the younger guys see the field, let a struggling hitter get out of a slump, etc. Luckily with our SEC schedule and other non-conference games vs. Rice, UH, Texas, Baylor, Cal, Long Beach, Sam Houston, etc., our Strength of Schedule will/should be good enough to overcome the games vs. teams like PVAMU, or ACU.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
dermdoc
AG
Nereus and Luke nailed it. Tuesday night teams rpis were more important when we were not in the SEC.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Average Joe
AG
These next two weeks are going to be as important as the Arkansas and Florida series. No, they aren't top 5 teams, but limp into them and they get so much tougher. Need to take care of business and keep building on the momentum from the last two weeks. Confidence does wonders, especially for the pitchers.
TempleAg97
AG
I don't disagree with what anyone wrote at all. I don't mind playing 150, 175, but when you are getting in the bottom 200's, a WIN drops you several spots. If we ever actually lost, we would probably drop double digits.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Average Joe said:

These next two weeks are going to be as important as the Arkansas and Florida series. No, they aren't top 5 teams, but limp into them and they get so much tougher. Need to take care of business and keep building on the momentum from the last two weeks. Confidence does wonders, especially for the pitchers.

This team is very confident right now, I expect to go 6-2 over the next two weeks
Emilio Fantastico
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Average Joe said:

This team is very confident right now, I expect to go 6-2 over the next two weeks

I thought you said they were very confident?!? 8-0 or GTFO!
Mr.Ackar07
How's this for a scenario:

TCU (RPI 56) overcomes its season struggles down the stretch to receive an at-large bid and ends up as a 2 or 3 seed at a Texas A&M regional.

TCU still has weekend series against Baylor (63), Tech (5), WVU (30), and Texas (23)
twk
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

How's this for a scenario:

TCU (RPI 56) overcomes its season struggles down the stretch to receive an at-large bid and ends up as a 2 or 3 seed at a Texas A&M regional.

TCU still has weekend series against Baylor (63), Tech (5), WVU (30), and Texas (23)
If TCU makes a regional, it's highly likely that they get sent to College Station if we host. Only other close alternative would be Fayetteville.
Signel
AG
I thought the changes this year were to prevent teams having to play the same regional every year...
nereus
AG
Changes only affect super regional pairing. Regionals are still the same.
jkag89
The change is that the committee will seed all 16 Regional Host 1-16 instead of just the just the National Seeds. This should mean fewer match ups like we saw versus TCU in the Super Regionals in '15 & '16. Of course the committee could tweak the seedings so such match ups are not out of the question. This change will not affect how they'll place teams at the various regional sites, I assume that will pretty much be like we've seen in the past.
Wicked Good Ag
IF TCU MAKES IT and that is a big if right now. I can see them being sent outside the state

Sam Houston DBU TECH TAMU and Texas all look good for post season from the state.
twk
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

IF TCU MAKES IT and that is a big if right now. I can see them being sent outside the state

Sam Houston DBU TECH TAMU and Texas all look good for post season from the state.
Tech is probably going to host, and Texas might too, but they can't host TCU as a fellow conference member.

Sam is going to have to win the Southland tournament, as it stands right now--their RPI is not going to be high enough for an at large bid if they don't. If they do win the tournament to get in, they might be a 4 seed, so you could see Sam as a 4 and TCU as a 3.

DBU is in range right now, but they aren't a lock--they will have to keep winning as the Valley won't do a lot to boost their RPI. If Tech hosts, they would be highly likely to be sent to Lubbock as they are just about the only school that would qualify for a bus trip to the plains.
HoustonAg2106
AG
There is a long way to go for us to be host too. We are on the right path, but two SEC road series then Florida and Arkansas up next
twk
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

There is a long way to go for us to be host too. We are on the right path, but two SEC road series then Florida and Arkansas up next
If the season were to end today, with an 11 RPI, we'd host despite the 8-7 record. We could play our way out of that, or we could play our way into national seed discussion.
Mr.Ackar07
I'd think going 1-2 against both Arkansas and Florida and 6-3 against Tenn, MSST, and USC should put us on the fringe of a host spot. Our RPI should remain about the same with 9 of the 15 games on the road.

That puts us at 16-14 in the SEC and 22-15 against the Top 100. (Or 19-15 once URI drops)
Sandman98
AG
RC would need to wear a disguise around town.

TempleAg97
AG
Sandman98 said:

Dangerous to schedule these sorry RPI teams but wouldn't hurt my feelings if TCU stayed home this postseason!
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Sandman98 said:

Given our past results in the postseason, yes.

If he had Schloss's track record in Omaha, there would be a lot more slack given.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Quick update going into the weekend. State has moved up quite a bit turning this weekend into a huge one for the Ags for multiple reasons.

4/26 Update:
The Ags are entering a pivotal weekend by all accounts (SEC standings, RPI, hosting and seeding) and need at least 2 wins in Starkville to help out all of those causes.

Texas A&M RPI: 14
Group One Record: 5-6 (9 games remaining)
Group Two Record: 9-4 (4 games remaining)
Group Three Record: 7-1 (0 games remaining)
Group Four Record: 9-0 (1 game remaining)

A&M Opponents:
----------Group 1----------
2. Florida (5/4-6 H)
4. Arkansas (5/11-13 A)
5. Georgia (1-2 A)
6. Ole Miss (1-2 H)
9. Auburn (1-2 A)
30. Texas (1-0 H)
37. Mississippi State (4/27-29 A)
44. Baylor (1-0 N)
----------Group 2----------
52. South Carolina (5/17-19 H)
53. LSU (2-1 H)
54. La Tech (0-1 N)
56. Sam Houston State (5/15 H)
61. Alabama (3-0 H)
73. Tennessee (1-2 A)
82. Rhode Island (3-0 H)
----------Group 3----------
103. Houston Baptist (1-0 H)
104. Rice (1-0 A)
111. California (1-0 N)
113. Texas State (1-0 H)
121. Long Beach State (3-0 H)
132. UTA (0-1 H)
----------Group 4----------
153. Northwestern State (2-0 H)
177. A&M-Corpus Christi (1-0 A)
194. Incarnate Word (1-0 H)
238. Cornell (3-0 H)
240. SFA (1-0 H)
242. Abilene Christian (1-0 H)
293. Prairie View A&M (5/1 H)

Other SEC/Local Teams
3. Texas Tech
17. Kentucky
24. Vanderbilt
28. Oklahoma
29. Missouri
35. Oklahoma State
45. Dallas Baptist
75. TCU
83. Houston
HoustonAg2106
AG
Mostly Cloudy Judgement said:

Sandman98 said:

Given our past results in the postseason, yes.

If he had Schloss's track record in Omaha, there would be a lot more slack given.

How many championships does Schloss have?
Mr.Ackar07
According to Warren Nolan, a win in Starkville today will boost the Aggies' RPI score by 29 points and loss will drop the score 32 points.

The Aggies are 47 points behind #13 Florida St and 9 points ahead of #15 Jacksonville and 22 points ahead of #16 Clemson.

#13 Florida St. plays Miami where a win will drop them 6 points and a loss will drop them 77 points. #12 Connecticut is in the same boat as Florida St. If the Aggies can pull off a series win, they could creep closer to the Top 10 again.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
BIG win for Cal last night over #2 Stanford to jump them 16 spots into the top 100 at #95. Hopefully they can steal another one this weekend

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.