Softball Stadium Update

10,919 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mullokmotx
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you wondering, we received a letter from the 12th Man office today confirming the stadium will be ready to play the weekend of the Auburn series, which is April 27th, 28th & 29th.

Aggie1205
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
Ags76
MROD92
Luke The Drifter
AG
Wow. I drove by it this weekend and was thinking they were still 6+ months away before they could occupy the place. Good for them for getting it ready by the end of the month.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
ABATTBQ87
AG
http://athstream.athletics.tamu.edu/softball.html
Aggieangler93
AG
Nice camera angle! Looked for one for baseball....not found
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
The Night Ag Cometh
CactusThomas
AG
Another beautiful ball park
TexAg1987
Luke The Drifter said:

Wow. I drove by it this weekend and was thinking they were still 6+ months away before they could occupy the place. Good for them for getting it ready by the end of the month.

They will play a game. It will not be 100% complete.
Belton Ag
AG
There will probably be lots of things not ready inside the stadium. I'd imagine that the pressbox won't be finished out, maybe not all of the concession stands, definitely not the offices, indoor practice facility, etc. The grounds will probably be bare dirt with temporary construction fencing around it. The stands, seats and field are all done. I think the scoreboard is as well.

They need to apply the facade, which from the looks of it is going to be kind of iffy that they get it done in time. Hopefully there won't be much rain between now and then.

I'm quite surprised they're going to make it in time, but I would hope that they would be 100% confident in hitting that date before they mailed out the letter.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
About time...!!
PabloSerna
AG
Correct... it will be "Substantially Complete" and safe to occupy. I'm guessing they will be working on the rest of the punch list for the next few months. Looks great!
mullokmotx
AG
Aggie softball twitter showed the team practicing on the new field yesterday.
hsvag
Will softball season ticket holders know where to sit? I have a buddy in that category who has not received any communication on that yet. Having been involved in 4 re-seating fiascoes now from 4 stadium re-dos the silence is curious.
Belton Ag
AG
hsvag said:

Will softball season ticket holders know where to sit? I have a buddy in that category who has not received any communication on that yet. Having been involved in 4 re-seating fiascoes now from 4 stadium re-dos the silence is curious.
In the letter they explain that season ticket holders will have the choice to sit where they want for the Auburn series, so General Admission.

On Sat the 28th, one hour after the game, 12th Man donors will be allowed to select their preferred seats based on priority point ranking. They ask that you be there in person to do it, or send a proxy with all of your info. We will be there for the game and will stay to select ours at that time.

As far as season ticket holders who aren't donors, I'm guessing they'll get the pick of what's left after the donors pick theirs. Not sure when that'll be but I'm assuming when the renewals are due.

Edit: There are premium seat sections right behind the plate available for donors only. Each seat requires a $300 per seat contribution.
jkag89
Aggieangler93 said:

Nice camera angle! Looked for one for baseball....not found
They had several cameras when Olsen was undergoing renovations.
DannyO
AG
Belton Ag said:

Edit: There are premium seat sections right behind the plate available for donors only. Each seat requires a $300 per seat contribution.

$350
Belton Ag
AG
DannyO said:

Belton Ag said:

$350
Yeah you're right.
Artimus Gordon
Just wait till next year when it is completely finished!
aggie67,74&76
oldag76
AG
Artimus- Coach wants the seniors to get to play on it before they graduate. The delays in getting it started meant they were not going to get something that was promised and she is doing her best to keep that promise. In the late 70's we played football in Kyle with partially finished 3rd decks, so this is not a new thing for Aggieland.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PXChg.gif[/IMG]
AggieBarstool
oldag76 said:

Artimus- Coach wants the seniors to get to play on it before they graduate. The delays in getting it started meant they were not going to get something that was promised and she is doing her best to keep that promise. In the late 70's we played football in Kyle with partially finished 3rd decks, so this is not a new thing for Aggieland.
Sorry, that's kind of a dumb promise.
SeenNotHeard
AG
AggieBarstool said:

oldag76 said:

That is a little shortsighted isn't it? She recruited those girls in high school on the hopes and promises of this stadium. I think if there is ANY way we can play a game in it this year we should. I think we as fans are being a little selfish if we complain the amenities are perfect for the first game. This team has dreamed about this stadium for years. Let them enjoy the moment.
Belton Ag
AG
AggieBarstool said:

oldag76 said:

Really. Care to expound on that and explain why it's a dumb promise?
wareagle044
Hope all the good seats aren't taken. I'll miss that series and it's supposed to be when they do seat selections for renewals
Aggieangler93
AG
I thought someone indicated you could send a proxy?
Aggieangler93
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

http://athstream.athletics.tamu.edu/softball.html
Looks like since I last looked earlier this week, they are almost done with the brickwork on that South wall. I drove by Tuesday on my way to Olsen. I am assuming the front stadium wall has been bricked too, already.
TXAggie2011
AG
SeenNotHeard said:

AggieBarstool said:

oldag76 said:

That is a little shortsighted isn't it? She recruited those girls in high school on the hopes and promises of this stadium. I think if there is ANY way we can play a game in it this year we should. I think we as fans are being a little selfish if we complain the amenities are perfect for the first game. This team has dreamed about this stadium for years. Let them enjoy the moment.
If Jo was promising these girls 6 years or so ago on playing in a new stadium, then Jo gambled quite a bit on a check she almost couldn't cash.

I think you might be overselling it. My guess is they got approval, they got the money, construction started, and once that happened, if at all possible, they wanted to get the seniors a chance to play there.
TXAggie2011
AG
wareagle044 said:

Hope all the good seats aren't taken. I'll miss that series and it's supposed to be when they do seat selections for renewals
Yeah, it kind of seems like doing it on one particular night without just a ton of notice isn't a great way to go about seat selection for future seasons.
Belton Ag
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

SeenNotHeard said:

AggieBarstool said:

oldag76 said:

If Jo was promising these girls 6 years or so ago on playing in a new stadium, then Jo gambled quite a bit on a check she almost couldn't cash.

I think you might be overselling it. My guess is they got approval, they got the money, construction started, and once that happened, if at all possible, they wanted to get the seniors a chance to play there.
OR, the start was delayed by several months by the Chancellor's office for reasons nobody can understand.

The stadium was supposed to be done by the start of this season. We were sent invitations for the groundbreaking ceremony in September of 2016. Then we were sent a follow up letter saying that due to "scheduling conflicts" the ceremony would be postponed. Then we were sent another invite for February of 2017, which was also postponed. The same crap happened to the T&F stadium. They didn't actually start turning dirt until the summer of 2017, almost a year past the date we were told it would start.

The gamble Jo made was to trust A&M's administration.
TXAggie2011
AG
That still wouldn't make making promises years ago to then-high schoolers now-college seniors any less of a gamble, but I'm not personally blaming Jo for why this took as long as it did. Our not having a stadium until late April, 2018 is definitely on the administration.
Belton Ag
AG
We're overthinking the "promise" part. I'm sure Jo Evans didn't go "I say to you girls, I am making a solemn vow and blood oath that you will be playing in a new softball stadium or else."

The bottom line is that she felt the seniors on this squad deserved to play in the stadium this year and now A&M is accommodating that. It's the least the Sharp & Co. could do.
TXAggie2011
AG
Belton Ag said:

We're overthinking the "promise" part. I'm sure Jo Evans didn't go "I say to you girls, I am making a solemn vow and blood oath that you will be playing in a new softball stadium or else."

The bottom line is that she felt the seniors on this squad deserved to play in the stadium this year and now A&M is accommodating that. It's the least the Sharp & Co. could do.
That's just about exactly what I said above in the post you were "OR-ing" about.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.