Uncooked LOBsters

6,121 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by matt.maggio3
matt.maggio3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just going to leave this here to boil:
LOB to date=241

By my estimate, a little over 100 have been in scoring position... at least 3x this season we've had bases loaded with 0 or 1 outs and got 0 runs.

Need to get the LOBsters in the pot and cook em.
Sandman98
AG
I'd like to know how many of those lobsters weren't cooked because of K's with runners on third and less than two outs. It seems high.
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree that bases loaded with 0 outs, and unable to bring on in, will kill ya! Some of those games we lost by 1 run also. We have to fund a way to get those runs in.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Aggieangler93
AG
Sandman98 said:

I'd like to know how many of those lobsters weren't cooked because of K's with runners on third and less than two outs. It seems high.
I'd also like to know how many we had early in the season when the heart of our order was up, and we were asking someone batting over 400 to attempt to bunt. That made no sense to me.
matt.maggio3
AG
K's are actually down this year....they just seem to come at very inopportune time. However, GDPs are up substantially. Sac Bunts are down this year too, but still way too often and have been asked of players I'd rather see swing the bat.

Bottom line, we have the base runners to win the games, just need to get our men home!
Aggies2009
AG
matt.maggio3 said:

K's are actually down this year....they just seem to come at very inopportune time. However, GDPs are up substantially. Sac Bunts are down this year too, but still way too often and have been asked of players I'd rather see swing the bat.

Bottom line, we have the base runners to win the games, just need to get our men home!
So the lineup needs some tweeking?
Aggie12B
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I agree that bases loaded with 0 outs, and unable to bring on in, will kill ya. We have to fund a way to get those runs in.
Put me in for tree fiddy.
Aggieangler93
AG
LOL....I see it....

I am good for at least five hunnert....
matt.maggio3
AG
7 more LOB last night. up to 248 on the season. Still an average of 8.3 per game
TMartin
Would like to see a stat on how many first pitch strikes AGs take.
Mark Fairchild
AG
First pitch strikes, almost 100%, same as always! Oh, while we are at it, how's bout K's looking????
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Aggies2009
AG
About time we cooked some of those lobsters!

I really hope we can keep this up. Maybe this game will be the shot in the arm we need.
VegasAg86
AG
Sure hope it is.
matt.maggio3
AG
after averaging 7 LOB in the LSU series, a whole 1.3 per game drop from prior avg, we left 10 last night to bring season total to 272 LOBsters (8.24/game).

By my estimates, ~120 have been in scoring position (someone who keeps book every game can check my estimate if you get bored).

matt.maggio3
AG
9 more LOBsters....total of 281 to date
jkag89
IMO it is kind of silly to point out the number of LOBsters in this game considering the Ags plated more runs than left men on base.
technoviking
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I agree that bases loaded with 0 outs, and unable to bring on in, will kill ya! Some of those games we lost by 1 run also. We have to fund a way to get those runs in.
edit: aggie12B beat me to it.....
AgEng06
AG
jkag89 said:

IMO it is kind of silly to point out the number of LOBsters in this game considering the Ags plated more runs than left men on base.
Agree. When you have 15 hits and score 12 runs, leaving 9 on base isn't really a sign of problems.
jkag89
AgEng06 said:

jkag89 said:

Agree. When you have 15 hits and score 12 runs, leaving 9 on base isn't really a sign of problems.
At very least this game shows that not all LOBsters are created equal. For example, what type of game would you like to see your offense produce; one in which they score double digit runs with nine men LOB or one in which they struggle to even get men on base much less plate them.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AgEng06 said:

jkag89 said:

I think he just wants to keep count all season.
matt.maggio3
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

AgEng06 said:

jkag89 said:

This ^

There are multiple ways at looking at LOB, 1 is that you're getting on base, which is great. However, what are you doing with the guys you get on base? We could and should be scoring more than we are. I'd like to see the averages stay same or go higher with LOB dropping. That would indicate we are scoring more runs.

Update after Alabama, we are at 298 LOB. That's 8.28/game through 36 games. We have 234 runs, 6.5 per game. We will always have LOB, but I'd like to get RPG to around 7 and LOB/G to below 7.
Aggies2009
AG
I like that it's gone down a little since the lineup shakeup.

And the addition of Cam Blake.
HoustonAg2106
AG
matt.maggio3 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

AgEng06 said:

jkag89 said:

This ^

There are multiple ways at looking at LOB, 1 is that you're getting on base, which is great. However, what are you doing with the guys you get on base? We could and should be scoring more than we are. I'd like to see the averages stay same or go higher with LOB dropping. That would indicate we are scoring more runs.

Update after Alabama, we are at 298 LOB. That's 8.28/game through 36 games. We have 234 runs, 6.5 per game. We will always have LOB, but I'd like to get RPG to around 7 and LOB/G to below 7.
I would think it's pretty common for your LOB average to be slightly higher that your RPG, definitely would like to see the gap closed here though.
nereus
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

matt.maggio3 said:

I would think it's pretty common for your LOB average to be slightly higher that your RPG, definitely would like to see the gap closed here though.

That makes me curious what the ratio between those two are for other teams. If you put a ratio of LOB to Runs per game, 8.28/6.5, our ratio so far this season would be 1.27.

I'm not sure where to easily get LOB per team for college baseball, but I can find it for MLB. The most efficient teams in that ratio for 2017 were Houston and Texas with everyone else having a ratio higher than ours.

Houston 1.25 (6.75/5.41)
Texas 1.27 (6.27/4.93)

Even if you look at difference between LOB and Runs per game. We are at 1.78. That is smaller than everyone except Houston, Texas, and Colorado.

Houston 1.34
Texas 1.34
Colorado 1.61 (6.71-5.1)

The more runs you get the smaller you should be able to get the ratio (as you can score an infinite amount of runs in a game but there is only a possible 27 LOB per game) so maybe in the college game top teams average a lower ratio and differential since they average more runs in general.

Still, I think the path to getting a 7:7 ratio would be to have some blow outs that skew the average (lots of runs per game vs LOB) and then for it to revert during tough competition. My guess is to get more runs per game against tough competition there will probably be more LOB per game as well. To get to 7 R/G, you might have to be okay with 8.5 to 9 LOB/G unless you just want those extra runs to come in meaningless blowouts.
matt.maggio3
AG
very interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of comparing vs MLB teams, but I would expect the ratio to be a little higher for MLB teams as MLB pitchers are less likely to have snowballing innings than college in my mind. College pitchers seem to get in their own head a little more often and I seem to notice getting a guy to 2nd in college drastically increases scoring than it does for MLB teams getting a guy to second. Could just be coincidental of when I notice.
matt.maggio3
AG
I'm now going to start seeking out LOB numbers across college baseball to see if the anecdotal 5-7 I've always heard and conversed about holds water
matt.maggio3
AG
LOBster count: 323 through 40. Average is trending the right way - after averaging 6.67 this weekend, season average lands at 8.075/game.
nereus
AG
But our runs per game was only 5.33 this weekend and the season average R/G dropped down to 6.425 (and we lost 2/4 games this week).

I'm not sure how that can be described as trending in the right direction. If anything, this weekend would provide data to support the idea that less LOBsters correlates with less runs (although it obviously isn't a perfect fit). We did have the most LOBsters on Saturday; that same day we had the most runs.
matt.maggio3
AG
you're looking at this myopically. Obviously our R/G decreased and went the wrong direction, but this time it wasn't from leaving the bases loaded twice. It's possible for a stat to improve, but other stats to worsen.
nereus
AG
Actually, I think you are the one looking at it myopically. You are just focused on lowering the total LOB number or the LOB/G and calling that an improvement without taking into account how that stat interacts with other stats. If Tenn pitched three perfect games against us, that would have really lowered the number of LOB. Would you consider that moving in the right direction in regards to LOB?

The problem is there is more than one way to lower your LOB. Timely hitting and HRs can help reduce LOBsters (in a good way), but so can not getting base runners at all and grounding into double plays (in a bad way). Generally, when you are lowering your LOB numbers, you are doing it because of the latter.

Just looking at MLB team stats from last year, the teams with the most LOB/G generally have a higher R/G. It isn't a perfect correlation, but it is there. I'm not convinced that lowering your LOB is positive in in the aggregate.

Also, even when you don't score any runs, LOBsters are still helpful. They add to the pitch count, cycle you through your line up more times, and get you into your opponents bullpen. Tenn pitched two pitchers on Friday. Just making them pitch to a few more batters and maybe we get to see another pitcher that we have more success against (or struggles with control). Maybe that second pitcher isn't there to finish out the last two outs of Sunday's game.
matt.maggio3
AG
This is a thread about LOB. Thus, the focus is on reducing LOB/g, which for us has been out of control. However I am not being myopic, as I keep an eye on AVG and all the other stats (post a weekly analysis on Twitter), so I am aware of how the LOBs are generated. Our AVG is 2% up from last year, our OBP is flat YoY. Runs created and base runs are up 6% and 5% YoY, while our actual Runs and Runs/Game are down 1%. GDP is up 47%. Thus, the problem isn't getting men on, it's getting them home.
Foxo
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

Who ya callin we white man?
nereus
AG
You say our LOB/G is out of control, but you haven't shown why it is out of control. In the last four weeks, Florida has gone 13-3 with two SEC series sweeps (against top 50 RPI teams), two away SEC series wins (one against a top 25 RPI team), and a Tuesday win against a top 10 RPI arch rival. In that time they have 8.25 LOB/G. 7.43 R/G.

The games with less than 7 LOB, they scored less runs than their average.

4 LOB -> 2 R
6 LOB -> 3 R
5 LOB -> 6 R
4 LOB -> 1 R

The games they scored 8+ runs, 7/8 of those games they had 8+ LOB.

You keep saying you want a lower LOB/G, but you haven't shown why lowering the LOB/G is actually a good thing.
matt.maggio3
AG
LOB count up to 355. Average of 8.07/game.
jkag89
matt.maggio3 said:

LOB count up to 355. Average of 8.07/game.
IMO 8 LOBsters per game is not "out of control" for a team scoring nearly 6½ runs a game.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.