Childress and RI coach?

13,885 Views | 140 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spanky
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope. Sure won't.

And I also don't think this was the cause of the Rob / RI coach blow-up.
Sandman98
AG
75AG said:

Nope. Sure won't.

If it wasn't, it should have been. I admire your tenacity by the way.
SMM48
AG
pepe the dog said:

SteveMedina said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

pepe the dog said:

HoustonAg2106. Do you know who Steve Medina is?

No, but I don't know who anyone on here is. What's your point?

He's just trying to get me to owe you a burger or a beer.
I decided to not ask if he knew Sittichoke Huckuntod.

Or freudenberg and his Polaroid wall of fame. Don't ask
75AG
AG
Sandman98 said:

75AG said:

Nope. Sure won't.

If it wasn't, it should have been. I admire your tenacity by the way.
Old people are nothing, if not tenacious,
TyperWoods
I have no problem with bunting when down 8 in the last inning.

I'd probably try it. Try to rattle the closer if nothing else.

I didn't see the game so...
Luke The Drifter
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

HoustonAg2106 appears to be the very definition of a snowflake. Barf.

And, apparently, he's from Houston. Double barf.

And my word...I hope like heck one of our guys never bunts when we're down 8 in the 9th inning. I would be just as disappointed with our guy as I am with the URI guy. However, I'm pretty sure we're better coached than URI is, where...one, we wouldn't do that in the first place and...two, if one of our guys did pull that garbage on his own, RC and staff would dress him down so badly there would be no need for the opposing coach to take exception to it.

Is that just what you call everyone who has a different opinion than you or can you enlighten me on what I said that is the very definition of a snowflake?

No, I don't call everyone with a differing opinion than me a snowflake. I called YOU a snowflake.

Yea I got that, just didn't understand why...my stance on this whole thing is it's not a big deal, get over it. YOU are the one who is all butthurt because someone broke one of the "sacred unwritten rules."

I bet you get your feelings hurt when the other team bat flips on a home run too.

Nope...I have no issue with bat flips...so long as the pitcher is allowed to flaunt and celebrate after a strikeout. Also, no problem with a bat flip...so long as the bat flipper knows the next guy on his team to the plate may get ear-holed.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
TXAggie2011
AG
So, have we decided who can piss the furthest or should I check in later?
threeanout
AG
SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

Luke The Drifter said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

And my word...I hope like heck one of our guys never bunts when we're down 8 in the 9th inning. I would be just as disappointed with our guy as I am with the URI guy. However, I'm pretty sure we're better coached than URI is, where...one, we wouldn't do that in the first place and...two, if one of our guys did pull that garbage on his own, RC and staff would dress him down so badly there would be no need for the opposing coach to take exception to it.

I feel like the "snowflakes" are those that are upset about a kid violating some unwritten rule, only because our 1B got hurt. Nobody would care about this if Andritsos was fine, and I guarantee there'd be plenty of people applauding our batter's effort to try and start a rally by bunting if we're in a big hole in the 9th

Maybe...but none that actually know anything about baseball.

BS. This is college baseball. 10+ run innings are not that unusual. Kid tried to get on base anyway he could.

But he's their best hitter with the ability to square one up. And he bunts with one out in the 9th down by 8.

That's all fine. His right. Dumb. But his right. Scouts in the stands and he bunts. Yeah.

Because of this. The throw down to first results in our starting first baseman to be removed from the game.

That's the gripe. Not his waste of an at bat.
I agree he was inside the baseline. And the throw wasn't great. My point is he was trying to get on base, and he damn near succeeded. As someone above stated, if they were UP by 8 and he bunts in the top of the 9th that's different.

Ain't no one ever bunted their way to the bigs. Why start now
That could start another debate. Jason Tyner, who at one time was A&M's all-time leader in hits, runs scored, amd stolen bases did just that......bunted his way to the bigs.
gougler08
AG
DadofEaston said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

I feel like the "snowflakes" are those that are upset about a kid violating some unwritten rule, only because our 1B got hurt. Nobody would care about this if Andritsos was fine, and I guarantee there'd be plenty of people applauding our batter's effort to try and start a rally by bunting if we're in a big hole in the 9th
That's because you've never played, whats stupid to you has been ingrained in generations of baseball players. You're right, if Andritsos hadn't been hurt, some churping would have gone on and that would have been it. There may have been people applauding this guys above and beyond effort to get a cheap hit but those people don't really know much about baseball. Its been that way for a century.

Look, we can just agree to disagree on this and move our separate ways, until the next unwritten rule comes up (Luke probably already started it by suggesting a teammate get hit when a guy bat flips)
ShaggySLC
Lol, had to go back through this thing to figure out replies. Got carried away, my bad bud. Still think it all comes down to context of the situation. I think I follow along the Steve lines of go up there and hit, certainly bunting down 8 isn't as egregious as bunting up 8.
Hickory High
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

So, have we decided who can piss the furthest or should I check in later?

Ok I never post on this board but this comment killed me and isn't getting enough appreciation
SMM48
AG
threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

Luke The Drifter said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

BS. This is college baseball. 10+ run innings are not that unusual. Kid tried to get on base anyway he could.

But he's their best hitter with the ability to square one up. And he bunts with one out in the 9th down by 8.

That's all fine. His right. Dumb. But his right. Scouts in the stands and he bunts. Yeah.

Because of this. The throw down to first results in our starting first baseman to be removed from the game.

I agree he was inside the baseline. And the throw wasn't great. My point is he was trying to get on base, and he damn near succeeded. As someone above stated, if they were UP by 8 and he bunts in the top of the 9th that's different.

That could start another debate. Jason Tyner, who at one time was A&M's all-time leader in hits, runs scored, amd stolen bases did just that......bunted his way to the bigs.
Stop. Tyner can swing it. Bunting was just another weapon.
SMM48
AG
TyperWoods said:

I have no problem with bunting when down 8 in the last inning.

I'd probably try it. Try to rattle the closer if nothing else.

I didn't see the game so...
Closer won't be In the game up by 8, Nuke.
ColoradoMooseHerd
I have no problem with a team down by 8 and bunting the lead off in the 8th inning. This is definitely not a unwritten rule that was in effect during my time playing. Seems more like a lazy rule. "Hey we are up a bunch, so we don't want you to bunt where we have to make a play". Really? To even complain about this sounds like a Nancy.

SMM48
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

I have no problem with a team down by 8 and bunting the lead off in the 8th inning. This is definitely not a unwritten rule that was in effect during my time playing. Seems more like a lazy rule. "Hey we are up a bunch, so we don't want you to bunt where we have to make a play". Really? To even complain about this sounds like a Nancy.

They were down by 8 with one out in the top of the 9th. It wasn't the 8th.

Their 3 hole lays one down. Why, who knows. He's a had a productive weekend.

Interferes with andritsos, who sat out last year because of transfer rules. Finally gets to play

Andritsos arm gets hung up, injured....removed from game.

Peace.
gougler08
AG
Uh oh, LT's are battling it out now...this thread never ends!
W
AG
one data point...there was an Astros game last year vs. the Twins...where Yuli Gurriel took a big cut on a 3-0 pitch late in a blowout game the 'stros were winning...

and the Twins manager / Hall of Famer Paul Molitor took offense (along with the Minnesota bench) and yelled a few things.

subsequently the Astros talked to Yuli about that...and he didn't do it the next night or later in the series.

so there's an unwritten rule that both teams acknowledged

W
AG
back to Rhode Island...it is interesting that these dustups / issues with opposing coaches are increasing.

R.I. already this year. Kentucky last year. Texas Southern at the regional 2 years ago
threeanout
AG
W said:

one data point...there was an Astros game last year vs. the Twins...where Yuli Gurriel took a big cut on a 3-0 pitch late in a blowout game the 'stros were winning...

and the Twins manager / Hall of Famer Paul Molitor took offense (along with the Minnesota bench) and yelled a few things.

subsequently the Astros talked to Yuli about that...and he didn't do it the next night or later in the series.

so there's an unwritten rule that both teams acknowledged

I was at that game. Doubt he ever does it again.
threeanout
AG
SteveMedina said:

threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

Luke The Drifter said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Had a slugging percentage about 25 points higher than his batting average.
Busdriver99
AG
Childress is so tightly wound, he just needs to relax. He is a great baseball mind, but he also needs to provide a calming influence. The team reflects the energy of the coach, who sets the tone all year. Just play loose boys.
Sandman98
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

Your dugouts were pretty stale. Again, had an injury not happened, only some minor mocking and **** talking would have commenced. As I think you know, when lame things like that injure a player in the heat of competition, it will escalate. That's been true for 150 years.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Busdriver99 said:

Childress is so tightly wound, he just needs to relax. He is a great baseball mind, but he also needs to provide a calming influence. The team reflects the energy of the coach, who sets the tone all year. Just play loose boys.

Coaches are either too loose or too tight according to texags
Luke The Drifter
AG
threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

Luke The Drifter said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Negatory, good buddy. Tyner was the king of legging it out and turning a single into a double and the guy (I believe) is A&M's all-time leader in triples. He didn't hit home runs, but it's not like 95% of his hits were singles. He found the outfield gaps with regularity.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
oldag76
AG
Get an Ag tag before you post comments like that LFJ78
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PXChg.gif[/IMG]
cevans_40
AG
jc97 said:

I've never even heard of this unwritten rule about bunting when down by many runs.

Bunting to break up a no-hitter -- sure (and I think there is nothing wrong with it).

But if a team down 8 wants to give away an out, let them.
If a team down 8 wants to practice bunting in a real-game situation, their right.

If it were THAT egregious, it would be disallowed IN the rule book.

To me unwritten rules aren't rules -- they're just limitations of my freedom. And ain't nobody got time for that.

Go ahead and bunt. We will practice our pickoff throws to 1st and I will make sure my 1st baseman practices his hard slap tags. Maybe my pitcher will practice his bean balls. After all, nothing against it in the rule book.

Just because you don't understand or know many of the unwritten rules in baseball, doesn't mean they aren't there for a reason. There are many ways within the rules to make it miserable for the other team.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep, the TexAgs experts always seem to know more than anyone paid to coach. Don't understand why we don't see more TexAgs experts coaching at the D1 and pro level. Seems like the caliber of the games at both levels would improve exponentially.
SMM48
AG
threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

threeanout said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

SteveMedina said:

75AG said:

Luke The Drifter said:

gougler08 said:

Luke The Drifter said:

JHoustonAg2106 appears to be the very definition of a snowflake. Barf.

You don't get drafted in the first round, and play 9 years in the bigs because of bunting.

Plus defense, plus speed, plus bat control, don't remember arm, but it isn't a popcorn fart shooter..... assist leader for mlb outfielders last year was 17. He put the ball in play. Averaged 1k every 10 abs.

SMM48
AG
gougler08 said:

Uh oh, LT's are battling it out now...this thread never ends!
Nah that's my boy. He knows my typed tone.
Signel
AG
The only thing I look forward about being halfway through the season is less people being around to fight over something dumb like this.
spanky
AG
Busdriver99 said:

This might be true, but it definitely doesn't apply in this case. It was the RI coaches who were *****ing and moaning after the game. RC just stepped in when they wouldn't shut the eff up. He did the right thing in taking up for his staff and team and telling them to piss off.
W
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep, the TexAgs experts always seem to know more than anyone paid to coach. Don't understand why we don't see more TexAgs experts coaching at the D1 and pro level. Seems like the caliber of the games at both levels would improve exponentially.
well, the texags experts nailed the 3rd base coaching box situation circa 2013/2014. And Childress agreed with them
HoustonAg2106
AG
spanky said:

Busdriver99 said:

This might be true, but it definitely doesn't apply in this case. It was the RI coaches who were *****ing and moaning after the game. RC just stepped in when they wouldn't shut the eff up. He did the right thing in taking up for his staff and team and telling them to piss off.
I thought RC went after them because they bunted in the 9th inning?
spanky
AG
That's not how I saw it. It looked to be their coaches who were up in arms from the start from my view down the 1B baseline. Maybe Bolt said something to get their 3B coach started that I couldn't see or hear
Sandman98
AG
spanky said:

Busdriver99 said:

Since you don't know any better than the rest of us, I'll lay out what I think happened:

-Guy bunts to leave town with an extra hit. He's not being a superhero by trying to be a baserunner in a blowout. Our guys talk some smack to their 3B coach (escalated since our guy was hurt).

-Umpire calls the guy out for running inside the baseline. Their coaches cry.

-Because they cried about that out call our **** talking intensified. Not only was that bunt lame but while getting their assed kicked they're complaining about a very obvious rule violation. It makes them look like bigger VJ's so we got louder and RC wanted him off his field. None of this is out of the ordinary in emotional competition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.