Childress' trip to the mound

3,182 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MMantle
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Believe it was in the 7th last night. Chafin goes 0-2 on the batter and Childress comes out for a lengthy mound visit. What was that all about?
EKG1996
AG
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Maybe Chaffin shook RC off on the second pitch and RC wanted to discuss? Not sure but it was odd timing.
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
I think there was a man on... online they said likely discussing the pitch and defense
twk
AG
When you get to middle age, sometimes you just have to get up and stretch your legs.
FearNoWeevil
AG
RC has a bonus clause in his contract for how many times the "Boss" is played each game...
MaroonStain
AG
I think Chafin was getting an earful. The look on Janca and other IF's faces gave me this impressionm
threeanout
threeanout
AG
Agree with EKG.....had to have shaken off a pitch or two.
Raggie21
While they didn't score off of Chafin he was certainly not hitting his spots. Think he may have crossed up his catcher as I remember that pitch looking weird and being surprised it was called a strike. He didn't have his best stuff especially when he first entered the game.
threeanout
AG
Raggie21 said:

While they didn't score off of Chafin he was certainly not hitting his spots. Think he may have crossed up his catcher as I remember that pitch looking weird and being surprised it was called a strike. He didn't have his best stuff especially when he first entered the game.
Totally agree with you on Chafin. However the visit to the mound looked a lot like Saban's "visits" with his offensive coordinator.
aeon-ag
EKG1996 said:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Maybe Chaffin shook RC off on the second pitch and RC wanted to discuss? Not sure but it was odd timing.
If would have shaken me off, he would have been picking bench splinters out of his butt!
TXAGBQ76
AG
At the Dugout Club lunch on Wednesday he was asked what leeway the pitches have to change what he calls. He said trusts them to know what they have, what they are throwing well and what they are not. Now he may light them up from time to time, but not for changing signs per se.

He also talked the new microphone set up between the catcher and him. He calls the pitch verbally, may give two pitches at a time, relate a defensive placement, have the catcher go to the mound to discuss wharvRob is seeing (i.e. over throwing, etc.). Said it will save him mound visits until absolutely necessary.
Bocephus
AG
Were there runners on 1st and 3rd? Thought they were discussing what to do if RI ran the falldown play
Azeew
Shook off RC. Threw a strike.

If you're going to make a mistake, make it a good one.
LOYAL AG
AG
aeon-ag said:

EKG1996 said:

If would have shaken me off, he would have been picking bench splinters out of his butt!

We'll now we know why you aren't coaching baseball at this level!
Alpha Texan
AG
That's actually really common. Ya know, coach is feeling like he wants ice cream and starts makin' plans. The guys in the dugout were on board and RC just wanted to ask his pitcher if he was down to go to dairy queen after the game
MMantle
AG
Talked with Daniel Mengden a few years ago.

Asked him if he'd ever shaken off a pitch RC had called.

You should have seen the look on his face, looked like he had the fear of God in him.

My conclusion, and what others have told me, an A&M pitcher had better have a pretty good reason for shaking Rob off.

RR
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.