D1Baseball.com puts scoreboard behind paywall

3,623 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieFrog
DanHo2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can see for yourself here: https://d1baseball.com/scores/?date=20180216&c=all

This isn't for premium content, analysis, insider info, etc. It's now $10/year just to see what the current scores of the games are. This is a new development too, because it wasn't blocked last week.
HoustonAg2106
AG
DanHo2010 said:

You can see for yourself here: https://d1baseball.com/scores/?date=20180216&c=all

This isn't for premium content, analysis, insider info, etc. It's now $10/year just to see what the current scores of the games are. This is a new development too, because it wasn't blocked last week.
That thing is always like 3 innings behind anyway
jkag89
Noticed this when I went to double check this weekend's slate of games at lunch for the This Weekend in the SEC post. Seems foolish to me since the Official NCAA site has a Scoreboard too. Have heard Kendall say it was the sites most popular feature so on one hand I can see why they might to opt to put it behind a pay wall but why send folks elsewhere for scores, this means less hits for the site and fewer eyes mean fewer folks maybe being enticed into buying premium content.
SchizoAg
AG
DanHo2010 said:

Dude it's ****ing $10 a year.

If you value their content, aren't you willing to contribute even a tiny bit to it?
NoNameAg
SchizoAg said:

DanHo2010 said:

If you value their content, aren't you willing to contribute even a tiny bit to it?

If that were the only place to find the info, that makes sense. Would you pay foxsports.com to view their college football scoreboard?
Basketball and Chain
AG
That's disappointing. Looks like I'm making the move over to NCAA.com this year.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Basketball and Chain said:

That's disappointing. Looks like I'm making the move over to NCAA.com this year.

If the solution is this simple, why does anyone care?
SchizoAg
AG
Aztec Aggie said:

SchizoAg said:

DanHo2010 said:

If that were the only place to find the info, that makes sense. Would you pay foxsports.com to view their college football scoreboard?
If the same info is available elsewhere, and they have no added value, then why do you care if they've put it behind a paywall? Just go to that other place.

If, on the other hand, there is some value to the way they present the data, why do you begrudge them 83 cents a month to help them pay for its upkeep?
TexAg91
AG
I pay the $10, but better keep the scoreboard updated if folks are paying for it.
Basketball and Chain
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

I like the D1Baseball interface better, but I'm not going to pay for a scoreboard when it's free elsewhere.

More power to Kendall and crew if they can cash in and maintain the website traffic.
SchizoAg
AG

AggieBaseball06 said:

I like the D1Baseball interface better, but I'm not going to pay for a scoreboard when it's free elsewhere.

More power to Kendall and crew if they can cash in and maintain the website traffic.
You just said you like D1's interface better, i.e. they are providing a service of some nonzero value to you, which costs them some nonzero amount to provide. Yet you are not willing to pay even one cent for that service.

That makes you a freeloader. You have no basis on which to complain.
Basketball and Chain
AG
SchizoAg said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

You just said you like D1's interface better, i.e. they are providing a service of some nonzero value to you, which costs them some nonzero amount to provide. Yet you are not willing to pay even one cent for that service.

Ok

Btw, I wasn't complaining. I stated that it's disappointing to me that they started charging for a service others offered for free but acknowledged that they're well within their rights to do so. You're a bit touchy on this subject. Have a good one, bud.
W
AG
bad idea by D1.

that's the primary reason (by far) i went to their website
Goose06
AG
SchizoAg said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Says the freeloader.... How about Texags make the baseball board require 1 Star, would you sit around and call everyone who complained freeloaders?
HoustonAg2106
AG
I only care about the scores for one team and I'm usually at the game or streaming it at home so no $10 from me
aggietony2010
AG
SchizoAg said:

DanHo2010 said:

I contribute by allowing them to serve me ads.

I pretty much only go there to check scores out of habit, as they used to the best source for them. I'll probably go there once or twice this season, see the paywall, and leave.

Anything you have to pay for on the internet is premium content. I don't consider scores premium.

Kenpom is $20 a year, and provides way more than scores.
AggieFrog
AG
The updated scores app looks pretty nice. I also added a subscription this year as I appreciate their work and want them to stick around. They also do a pretty good podcast during the season.
PhatMack19
AG
I guess I'm going to have to pay D1 baseball $10. The NCAA site is terrible
Agsncws
AG
FWIW - Warren Nolan's site allows you to custom create your own scoreboard and track whichever games you want along with following normal ways (by conference, top 25, etc) and as always - its FREE.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
AggieBand2004
AG
SchizoAg said:

AggieBaseball06 said:

Hey Schizo, will you call up one of your calmer personalities? How about Larry, he's a nice guy. We'd like to talk to Larry. You in there, Larry?
NoNameAg
SchizoAg said:

Aztec Aggie said:

SchizoAg said:

DanHo2010 said:

If the same info is available elsewhere, and they have no added value, then why do you care if they've put it behind a paywall? Just go to that other place.

If, on the other hand, there is some value to the way they present the data, why do you begrudge them 83 cents a month to help them pay for its upkeep?

Slow down turbo. I never said that I begrudge them.
PhatMack19
AG
I paid for the ap before I realized the ap and website are separate purchases. The ap is pretty worthless. It's a scoreboard only with no other stats or game info until the game is finished. It's ok if you just want the score, but not if you want details or gamecast.
AggieFrog
AG
PhatMack19 said:

I paid for the ap before I realized the ap and website are separate purchases. The ap is pretty worthless. It's a scoreboard only with no other stats or game info until the game is finished. It's ok if you just want the score, but not if you want details or gamecast.

The app actually links to the school's scoreboard site for game details if available.
jmcfar_98
AG
I use statbroadcast.com now to follow the game when I'm not at the TV.
PhatMack19
AG
AggieFrog said:

PhatMack19 said:

The app actually links to the school's scoreboard site for game details if available.

I don't see that on mine. The little bell thing is on the side, but nothing you can click on any game. Aggie game is in the 2nd and still no update.

TexAg91
AG
AggieFrog said:

PhatMack19 said:

Mine only provides a link once the game ends.
AggieFrog
AG
Yesterday and Friday it had links to live scoreboard sites.
TexAg91
AG
Frog, What about now? Mine has no links. Wondering if there is a setting I can change. Mine currently looks like screenshot above on iPhone and iPad.
AggieFrog
AG
Mine looks the same today. No live scoreboard links. Be on the lookout, though.

I think we'll see favorites added as well and hopefully some notifications.
AggieFrog
AG
Looks like live box scores were added in today's app update.
TexAg91
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Updated the app and now the live score link works.
Aggie09Derek
AG
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2018/scores-live
AggieFrog
AG
D1 app also now has scoring alerts with favorite team settings. Click on the Standings tab from the bottom of the screen and click a team to set as a favorite and for alerts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.