Road trip advice/tips?

1,981 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by twk
cblan7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Road tripping with my son to either Mississippi State or Arkansas weekend (from DFW).

---Which is a better trip?
---Ticket advice? Easy to get?
---Must eat restaurants?
---Any other must sees?
Gigem9821
AG
Mississippi State is opening their rennovated ballpark this year so if you can get tickets to those games that's what I would pick.
twk
AG
Aggie45712 said:

Mississippi State is opening their rennovated ballpark this year so if you can get tickets to those games that's what I would pick.
Actually, I think I would hold off until next trip, as the park will still be under construction, and seating may be limited this year.

The only drawback to Arkansas is that it is their graduation weekend, so hotels near the park will be charging a premium (if they are available at all). You'll have no trouble finding some place to stay, but options will be less than they might otherwise be.
CampingAg
AG
Yep. I'd go with Arky this year then Starkville in 2020 when the new facility is 100% complete.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Agree with twk and CampingAg.

Get your tickets early in advance.
tjack16
AG
I'm thinking of making the trip to Fayetteville as well. Not sure if I'll be going to the Friday/Saturday games, or Saturday/Sunday
twk
AG
I don't know when Arkansas tickets will go on sale, but they usually have some reserved seats available down in the RF corner, near the visiting player comps. That's where I would buy tickets.

If anyone is still thinking of going to Starkville, all I can say is good luck, because everything will be different. They used to have a ton of GA seating down the lines, but I have no idea what the configuration will be this year. It's going to still be a construction site, from the looks of things, and I sort of suspect that they will have a reduced capacity this year. I haven't completely ruled out making this trip, but it's not at the top of my list this for the reasons stated.

I'm going to UGA (that's Easter weekend, but it's Thursday through Saturday, so if you really want to be home for Easter, you can catch a red eye flight out of ATL Saturday night like I'm doing). I think I will probably go to Knoxville. Auburn would be an easy trip (fly to ATL, drive 90 minutes), but it's early in the season, and weather might not be optimal.
hogfan14
Here are some food recommendations if you go to Fayetteville. It really just depends what you want. Dickson St. is the main bar strip and visiting fans usually have a fun time before and after games there.

Herman's Ribhouse (Hole in the wall staple that's been there forever, sports memorabilia all over the walls from people who have eaten there)
Foghorn's Wings (50 flavors of wings, right next to Baum Stadium so you could walk to/from the game)
Hugo's (best burgers IMO, in a basement type setting on the downtown square)
Hammontree's (gourmet grilled cheese if you want something a little different)
Catfish Hole (where we take our recruits, good atmosphere and great hush puppies)

There is a ton of stuff to do outdoors in Northwest Arkansas but you probably won't have the time. If you're willing to drive 30 mins north to Bentonville, Crystal Bridges is one of the best art museums in the world. And the Walmart museum is kinda interesting. "Ann", the play about Ann Richards, is showing at Arkansas Public Theatre that weekend but I'm sure there are plenty of places in Texas it has been to as well lol.

Things to look at on campus: Alumni Walk (the names of every graduate are etched on the sidewalks), Indoor Baseball Practice Facility (nicest in the country in my biased opinion), Jerry Jones Student Athlete Success Center, Tyson Indoor Track Facility (Fayetteville has been referred to as the track capital of the world). There are many wild boar statues and figures on campus, one is a replica of a famous statue from Italy. Also if you care enough you can check out the football stadium expansion that should be 3/4 complete by then.

Wear comfortable shoes because the campus is very hilly.
Wicked Good Ag
If you drive to Fayetteville stop on way back and hike/ outdoor stuff around Buffalo River

Hugo's is good and there was a grilled cheese place that was good as well IIRC

if you into golf stop in Hot spring Village and play some terrific courses.

As mentioned before the museum Crystal Bridges is very good and free I believe
bufrilla
AG
We made reservations for the UA series in Rogers/Bentonville, which is about 20 miles North. Still available at Mariotts chain. ($120-130 was rates) We made reservations at the Residence Inn, 2 BR/2Bath and it was $209.
Easy drive down to stadium.
tjack16
AG
in regards to Aggies vs Rice (I know this is off topic but this thread could be a good place for all road trips)

Rice athletics released their ticket options. Unfortunately no individual games yet, but they have a "2 game plan" that I went ahead and bought. Got 2 Aggie tickets for $15 a piece, and 1 ticket to a random game of their's (Gonzaga on a weekend). Cost me $47.50 after fees for two Aggie tickets and another game.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Yeah, Rice has been doing this the past couple of times we've played at Reckling. They're trying to take advantage of Aggies.
tjack16
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Yeah, Rice has been doing this the past couple of times we've played at Reckling. They're trying to take advantage of Aggies.
I just moved about 3 miles from their campus after graduation, and they've always been a team I enjoyed. So I'm actually planning on taking in a few of their games this season. So not a bad deal for me.
HoustonAg2106
AG
tjholley17 said:

in regards to Aggies vs Rice (I know this is off topic but this thread could be a good place for all road trips)

Rice athletics released their ticket options. Unfortunately no individual games yet, but they have a "2 game plan" that I went ahead and bought. Got 2 Aggie tickets for $15 a piece, and 1 ticket to a random game of their's (Gonzaga on a weekend). Cost me $47.50 after fees for two Aggie tickets and another game.

Thanks for the tip, this is a good deal
tjack16
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

tjholley17 said:

It was a really nice deal... especially given that tickets on stubhub are currently $30 + fees
HoustonAg2106
AG
tjholley17 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

tjholley17 said:

It was a really nice deal... especially given that tickets on stubhub are currently $30 + fees
No kidding, I got 2 seats behind the A&M dugout for $22 each and those are going for $75 each on stub hub right now
tjack16
AG
just bought my tickets for the Arkansas series
twk
AG
tjholley17 said:

just bought my tickets for the Arkansas series
Glad you reminded me. I didn't see any tickets available in the desired sections on the UA website but Stubhub had cheap tickets in those sections.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.