Baseball-New SEC Rule Allowing Ear Pieces

4,713 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sandman98
TKNR_Ags_co21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what do we think about the new rule allowing catchers to have earpieces allowing them to communicate with coaches in the dugout? [I'm really hoping this isn't fake news from Brauny because I can't find the story anywhere else online]

I think it's kind of cool and innovative...but raises some thoughts

Questions I have that may warrant some discussion:

Obviously, the idea is to speed up games by speeding up the catcher receiving the pitch call from the coaches, which are usually done by using wristbands and numbers relayed from the coach in the dugout. So we all know that if the mic is going to just stay on the entire time, baseball players are going to find ways to take advantage of certain in-game situations...

So are bunt coverages allowed to be relayed? How about scouting information? "this guy is hitting .125 on the low-outside corner..let's live there"

What about sign stealing? Say the dugout has picked up on the 3rd base coaches signals... "Hey he's going to be running here, let's pitch out"

Something that probably wouldn't really happen.... but what if the catcher takes a throw from the outfield and goes to tag the runner at the plate... then the hitter rounds second and tries to take third while the catcher is distracted with the play at the plate...coach yells through the earpiece to throw to 3rd to get the runner trying to take another bag.
twk
AG
Not much point in speculating about these hypothetical situations until you see the text of the actual rule. I suspect that some of these are addressed in the rule.
Aggieangler93
AG
Interesting....I hadn't thought of some of these.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Ag86Hotard109
AG
New SEC rule allowing hair pieces? Didnt know this was an issue.....
Sandman98
AG
I'd be surprised if it speeds up the game. Coaches still need some time to process what pitch to call and unless umpires police hitters' set up routines it definitely won't matter.

The game moves too fast for a skipper to shout to throw to a bag any quicker than a catcher's natural awareness to do so.

College catchers should be calling their own pitches anyway. At times when that was the case it didn't improve pace of play.
CapCityAg89
AG
Used during the Omaha Cup? Any feedback?
jt2hunt
AG
Maybe ask Gabe/hop on the other board?
twk
AG
They are either using the ear pieces or letting the catchers call the game because they aren't looking over to the dugout between pitches.
twk
AG
I can see Rob now and he's definitely using the radio. Going to take some practice for him too making sure the opposing team can't read his lips.
W
AG
the catcher will have to be careful not to verbally repeat what he has just heard in his ear.

also wonder if the catcher will need to give a sign back to the coach to indicate that he correctly understood what was said. (i.e. closed loop accounting)
TXAggie2011
AG
They'll test these things out in practice and before games to make sure the catcher can hear the coach clearly.

If the catcher can hear the coach and is still calling the wrong pitches, well, the coach needs to have a "conversation" with his catcher...that conversation might be rather one-sided and come with some laps around the ballpark.

I don't think there will be a big temptation for the catcher to repeat out loud what he's heard but they'll have had plenty of practice to work out the kinks. It'll be beyond routine before they use this in a game that counts.

Bigger concern will be making sure no one is reading the coach's lips but they'll get that down in practice, as well.
Sandman98
AG
Quote:

Bigger concern will be making sure no one is reading the coach's lips but they'll get that down in practice, as well.

Not a problem.

Fastball = any word that starts with a consonant
Breaking ball= Any word that starts with a vowel
Change up= any verbalized number

You can put the whole dictionary and number line in play and wouldn't even have to hide behind a walkie Talkie.
CampingAg
AG
In the NFL, don't they shut off comms with five seconds left on the play clock or something like that? I'm guessing it would be more like this - not an open mic for the whole game. Small window pre-pitch to give info.
twk
AG
AllThings12thMan said:

In the NFL, don't they shut off comms with five seconds left on the play clock or something like that? I'm guessing it would be more like this - not an open mic for the whole game. Small window pre-pitch to give info.
Somehow, I don't think the level of technology in college baseball is quite the same as in the NFL. Practically, I don't see a coach screaming in a catcher's ear during a play doing any good, but they will probably just have it in the rules not to do that.
Baron de Bastrop
AG
There are some situations where it might actually slow down the game. Coach normally wastes a trip to the mound to make sure everyone understands the defensive set up some times or situational issues. Catcher can take over that role and do it multiple times with the same pitcher...
Gil Renard
AG
Hitting routines in the show are brutal the ones in College are just as bad if not worse I wish these kids wouldn't nomar it up and be ready to hit
MMantle
AG
Many pitchers have more than one breaking ball.

RR
Sandman98
AG
MMantle said:

Many pitchers have more than one breaking ball.

RR

Of course they do. The catcher and pitcher shouldn't need the coach to tell them which one to throw. It's a feel pitch and the pitcher can quickly shake from a 2 to a 3 if the catcher guesses wrong. Again, I don't think coaches should be micromanaging pitch selection anyway.

Execution > selection.
MMantle
AG
You said "Breaking ball - any word that starts with a vowel"

Need to fine-tune that approach if pitcher throws both a curve ball and a slider.

RR
Sandman98
AG
MMantle said:

You said "Breaking ball - any word that starts with a vowel"

Need to fine-tune that approach if pitcher throws both a curve ball and a slider.

RR

I just made my point. College catchers and pitchers know how to be nimble with which breaking ball to throw. They don't need an extra command from the dugout.

And you're splitting hairs based on a mostly tongue and cheek post. Good catch, Whitey Ford.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.