NCAA: Change in number of seeded teams for the D1 Baseball Tournament

4,550 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OKCAGS
AGinSEC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2017-10-06/di-baseball-championship-moves-16-seeds

Thoughts?
MaroonMack
Quote:

"We have consistently ended up with outstanding super regionals such as Florida-Florida State, Florida-Miami, of course TCU-Texas A&M, and out on the West Coast, it was a virtual guarantee that some of those teams would be paired in the supers round. While exciting, it left a salty taste in the mouths of several coaches over the years.[emphasis added]" - Kendall Rogers - D1 Baseball, full article here
It's not a guarantee that A&M won't get paired up with TCU, but it makes it significantly less likely. Florida State is probably even more excited about this than TexAgs will be, since they kept having to go thru the Gators.

It might be harder to travel to some of the super regional sites, but should provide more interesting match-ups.
W
AG
it was long, long, long overdue. The cross-country matchups are much more interesting.

however does this mean regional #1 seeds from the same conference would be paired for supers?
W
AG
also...this means that travel costs for the super regional round are likely to increase.

so would the committee try to compensate for that (even more) in the regional round?
Agsncws
AG
It is SPECTACULAR. As W said, "long overdue"; but it eliminates the nonsense of being rammed up against a local team in the supers "just because they're local" and it eliminates getting paired up against the same program over and over and over.

On the flip side, it makes the difference between a #1 and a #2 WORLDS apart.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Agsncws
AG
I also look forward to the TexAgs meltdowns bemoaning we should have been #12 instead of the #14 we received.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
TempleAg97
AG
This is HUGE!! Finally!!
TexasRebel
AG
Finally!!
jkag89
The committee could still finagle the seeding a bit to still give such match ups but you won't see the BS of having two teams that deserved Top 8 seeds being paired together like A&M/TCU in 2015
TexasRebel
AG
This way stolen Super appearances matter more.
Mr.Ackar07
jkag89 said:

The committee could still finagle the seeding a bit to still give such match ups but you won't see the BS of having two teams that deserved Top 8 seeds being paired together like A&M/TCU in 2015
Actually we probably would have been paired up anyways that year as A&M would have been the 9th seed.
jkag89
TCU was the #7 Natty Seed in 2015. Of course the committee could have made the Frogies the #8 Seed (somewhat difficult to justify since Missouri St. was the final Natty Seed) or the Aggies the #10 Seed (which would have been a little less difficult justify)..
Sean98
AG
So apparently I missed this news back in October. ...but I saw it online today (on wikipedia of all things) and it was a very pleasant surprise to me. I scrolled back 5 or 6 pages to see if it was already posted before I became yet another German bombing the moon.

I think seeding the Top16 teams is a big step in the right direction to ensuring the best teams get to Omaha. ...assuming the NCAA doesn't monkey with the seedings to pit regional teams against each other.
AGinSEC
So any new thoughts??
TexasRebel
AG
the NCAA monkied with the seedings to pit conference teams against each other.
OKCAGS
Was great in theory ...... and then the bumbling idiot Ray Tanner steps up and says " every committee is different and looks at different metrics " . So in reality ..... nobody except the committee knows what is important to that particular committee...... on that particular day ....... until they come out and force feed everybody crap like they did today.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.