JANCA

6,943 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mark Fairchild
Foxo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big ups to @GeorgeJanca ranked the #5 College SS/2B for the 2018 Draft.

: https://d1baseball.com/premium/top-10-college-middle-infielders-2018-draft/
technoviking
AG
What an improvement! You can't help but root for this guy!! I'd like to know what it was that needed to click for him to turn it on the way he has the last year.

He's been especially lethal when he dons these glasses!
Sandman98
AG
Interesting. I don't see him as a pro at SS and his huge arm is wasted at 2B. He has a legitimate big league arm today. He's a bit of a tweener right now IMO but hopefully he hits enough to have an option at 3B as a pro.

It's behind a paywall so I'm curious what if any context they provided?
Schrute
Sandman98 said:

Interesting. I don't see him as a pro at SS and his huge arm is wasted at 2B. He has a legitimate big league arm today. He's a bit of a tweener right now IMO but hopefully he hits enough to have an option at 3B as a pro.

It's behind a paywall so I'm curious what if any context they provided?
I agree. He definitely has the arm for 3B, but his bat has got to improve alot. MLB teams look for power from 3B position - something that Janca has shown flashes of, just not near consistent enough. I really like Janca and hope the very best for him!
Mr.Ackar07
technoviking said:

He's been especially lethal when he dons these glasses!
The Moroney effect
technoviking
AG

Quote:

The Moroney effect

It'd be awesome if the whole team did this for '18

edit: i have no idea how i messed up the quotes so bad... i didn't have my moroney's on is all i can think of
cheeky
AG
I didn't realize he hit well enough to play in the bigs. Isn't hit collegiate BA around .250?
technoviking
AG
he had a strong 2nd half of the season and a great summer in the cape cod league - hit .327 with 12 XBHs.

if he replicates that this upcoming season he should be drafted in the top 10 rounds. i can't wait to watch him play.
DrippinAg
S
GT baby! He gave my sons his beatup Ag batting gloves Last time we saw him and you have no idea what a treasure they are to them. Such a good dude. This kid hasn't even come close to his real potential in Aggieland yet. Just watch...
Sandman98
AG
Stagecoach said:

I didn't realize he hit well enough to play in the bigs. Isn't hit collegiate BA around .250?

Being a draftable prospect isn't an invitation to the big leagues. It's about ceilings and maybe his solid cape cod performance showed scouts a higher ceiling than what his college BA tells us.
W
AG
if Janca can hit .280 and draw 25 walks...that would be great for this upcoming season
technoviking
AG
I wouldn't be surprised to see Janca hit .310 this year
W
AG
one of the many disappointing returning players in 2018.

Janca finished the regular season with just 14 RBI in 156 at-bats.

hit .231 with a woeful .281 on-base % (only drew 9 walks all season).

another in a long list of Cape Cod rockstars...

txaggie02
AG
Needed a parachute he fell so far this year.
Agryan00
Before you can use the big arm dont you have to field the ball? Last I checked Bregman was not a big power hitter with a big arm.
OKCAGS
An absolute mystery ..... how George kept his spot this year. Wingate had an OBP over 120 points higher than Janca . Even if your argument is that Wingate had to play in the OF ( because our situation out there was so screwed up ) ..... why not let Morris get a shot at 3rd earlier in the season . Morris has been an infielder his whole career ....... so let's make him move to the OF ?

If our coaches had started the season with Helman in the OF and let Wingate or Morris play 2nd maybe we would not have the black hole that our corner OF spots has become . I cringe every time a ball is hit to RF . Lots of questionable roster decisions this season .
Sean98
AG
Not just this season... How do you let the roster get to this point? Where you have 1 real outfielder... 2 if you count Blake who has been injured for a long time. And yet 6 catchers.

And where are we going to be next year? Have we fixed those issues? If Blake is healthy that will help. Our roster actually shows 5 OFs, one of which is Foster who was never really an outfielder. 2 of them are co-listed with another position (Wingate, IF/OF and Taylor, OF/LHP).

Edit: it appears that we've signed 4 OFs out of our recruiting class of 18 signees. ...11 pitchers.

Colson Geisler LHP/OF 5-11, 165, R/L Columbus, Texas (Columbus HS)
Patrick DiLullo OF 6-2, 170, R/R Austin, Texas (Round Rock HS)
Miko Rodriguez OF 6-2, 200, R/R Ada, Michigan (Forest Hills Central HS)
Hunter Townsend OF 6-0, 190, R/R Alto, Texas (Alto HS)
OKCAGS
Well sure they are going to go out and sign a bunch of OF's now...... should have used the late JUCO signing period to get at least one in before the fall started. They knew by then that Blake had issues.
W
AG
the program may be going back in time to 2007...when Childress brought in 5 or 6 juco players...and of course several turned out to be very, very good
rather be fishing
AG
It has been a dismal fielding year. Frustrating at the very least.
tonytx05
AG
OKCAGS said:

An absolute mystery ..... how George kept his spot this year. Wingate had an OBP over 120 points higher than Janca . Even if your argument is that Wingate had to play in the OF ( because our situation out there was so screwed up ) ..... why not let Morris get a shot at 3rd earlier in the season . Morris has been an infielder his whole career ....... so let's make him move to the OF ?

If our coaches had started the season with Helman in the OF and let Wingate or Morris play 2nd maybe we would not have the black hole that our corner OF spots has become . I cringe every time a ball is hit to RF . Lots of questionable roster decisions this season .

Because Wingate's bat didn't heat up until the last few weeks, which is why you saw him in the lineup more this weekend than the rest of the year. I like him in the field, but he just wasn't getting it done at the plate until recently.
Rongagin71
AG
I used to collect baseball cards...almost every player had variations of +100 pts in batting average...there is a lot of luck and "how do you feel" in baseball.
This puts coaches in a quandary...when a player is "cold" but mechanically correct, how long to keep him in line up waiting to get "hot"?
technoviking
AG
technoviking said:

I was so hopeful. So naive. This makes me sad.
aggieheart
AG
technoviking said:

technoviking said:

I was so hopeful. So naive. This makes me sad.
If it makes you feel any better Janca has hit .300 since the beginning of the Tennessee series.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mark Fairchild
AG
In all fairness to Wingate he didn't see any extended periods of consistently being in the lineup until Foster was injured. Without that it's extremely hard to find your rhythm. Once Logan wasn't playing and he saw the field more, his AB's were much improved. Can't say I was that impressed with his OF play, but I could say the same about the majority of the OF play.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.