Auburn Softball

2,325 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Belton Ag
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This past week their coach Clint Myers abruptly resigned, which is something I predicted during the season when they went off the rails. Here's an article describing what went on:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/20466809/former-auburn-tigers-softball-player-alleges-abuse-sexual-harassment-14-page-complaint?addata=espn:frontpage

That program was a trainwreck; it's surprising to me that Myers was able to get what he did out of them given the locker room turmoil.

sharpdressedman
It is a shameful and frightening situation. A sexual predator was allowed to operate with the protection of his father and, to a lesser but still significant degree, the AU administration. Had several brave young women not put themselves at considerable risk by speaking up, the abuse would have remained an ongoing, illegal, and dangerous affront to them and the university.

Unfortunately, but appropriately, this scandal will dominate discussions of his 40-year coaching legacy well beyond the time of his passing.

As for AU, I fully expect the administration to maximize their efforts to "protect the brand" and fail in their responsibility to be accountable for the coaches' actions.
alamoaggie 64
I used to get tired of the times TV would show the dad in the dugout or coaching box and praise his good work.
MaroonMack
sharpdressedman said:

It is a shameful and frightening situation. A sexual predator was allowed to operate with the protection of his father and, to a lesser but still significant degree, the AU administration...As for AU, I fully expect the administration to maximize their efforts to "protect the brand" and fail in their responsibility to be accountable for the coaches' actions.
The Auburn athletic department has been "all in" for a long time in doing whatever it takes to keep up with the Jones. They overlook more stuff than Helen Keller***
Belton Ag
AG
sharpdressedman said:

It is a shameful and frightening situation. A sexual predator was allowed to operate with the protection of his father and, to a lesser but still significant degree, the AU administration. Had several brave young women not put themselves at considerable risk by speaking up, the abuse would have remained an ongoing, illegal, and dangerous affront to them and the university.

Unfortunately, but appropriately, this scandal will dominate discussions of his 40-year coaching legacy well beyond the time of his passing.

As for AU, I fully expect the administration to maximize their efforts to "protect the brand" and fail in their responsibility to be accountable for the coaches' actions.
The situation is surely unfortunate for the women involved and the women he coached. From what I gather there have been rumors and whispers about this kind of behavior and other incidents before he even got to Auburn, so it's not so unfortunate for him that it taints him, since he's the one that let it go on.
mullokmotx
AG
I see they hired the James Madison coach.
Belton Ag
AG
mullokmotx said:

I see they hired the James Madison coach.
I saw that as well. Potentially a monster pick up for them, his record over the last few years is impressive.

Edit: Gerry Glasco's name was being tossed around for the Auburn job. I'm kind of glad that didn't happen
because I'd like to see him here next year for Vidales, Walters, etc. senior season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.