Potential A&M-Astros game @ Blue Bell

3,558 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr.Ackar07
Capt. America
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I know we've played the Astros in baseball in the past, so why don't we give it a shot and bring the game back here in the next couple of years? Could be a fun one off for a Tuesday game or something like that. Lord knows I think we would have some fun heckling some Astros guys.

The meantime, I know a couple of y'all have posted pictures from these previous games, so would any of y'all mind sharing them with us?
jkag89
As far as I can recall the '88 game is the only one at Olsen between the Astros and the Aggies, it ended in a 1-1 tie. Here is a scan from an early '90s Media Guide.

i know that Arizona and Florida schools still occasionally play an exhibition game against MLB teams during their spring training but I think such a contest at Olsen is unlikely today.
Mr.Ackar07
Rodney Hodde holds the distinction of driving in the winning run in a walk-off victory against the Houston Astros while a freshmen on the A&M team in 1978; during a mid-year exhibition game, Hodde was called on to pinch-hit in the bottom of the 10th inning giving the Aggies a 1-0 victory.
Mr.Ackar07
And Perry Swanson was the winning pitcher for the Aggies in that 1978 game.
Aggie
AG
I was at that A&M / Astros exhibition game in 1988 at Olsen. If I recall correctly the Ags had to use wood bats also.

twk
AG
Capt. America said:

So, I know we've played the Astros in baseball in the past, so why don't we give it a shot and bring the game back here in the next couple of years? Could be a fun one off for a Tuesday game or something like that. Lord knows I think we would have some fun heckling some Astros guys.

The meantime, I know a couple of y'all have posted pictures from these previous games, so would any of y'all mind sharing them with us?
Different times. The way the CBA is nowadays on off days, it would be very difficult to do this.
KT 90
AG
twk said:

Capt. America said:

Different times. The way the CBA is nowadays on off days, it would be very difficult to do this.

Didn't they play it at the end of Spring Training, prior to the start of the regular season? Been a long time so I don't recall, but I was in school then and at the game. But as long as it is prior to the start of the season they could pull it off it they really wanted to. During the season is more of an issue with the cba.

Capt. America
AG
I mean, they still occasionally will come back to play a couple of games in the Houston area, so why not just pick one up this direction? Could be something fun to pursue at least. How was the Athletic Department even go about making it happen?

I remember somebody posting a picture from 78 or something along those lines, because the Astros were rocking the rainbows well and we were wearing "Texas Aggies" if my memory serves me well. There's a real possibility that I could be wrong though.
ensign_beedrill
AG
They would never come to Olsen. They're too scared of bubbles.
twk
AG
KT 90 said:

twk said:

Capt. America said:

Didn't they play it at the end of Spring Training, prior to the start of the regular season? Been a long time so I don't recall, but I was in school then and at the game. But as long as it is prior to the start of the season they could pull it off it they really wanted to. During the season is more of an issue with the cba.

I want to say that the game was actually played after Opening Day, on an off day for the Astros. Seems like the exhibition games they play nowadays are usually on a Friday or Saturday before Opening Day, and we are not free on the weekends. It would have to be a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I don't see this happening, but if it does I'll definitely be there.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Nolan Ryan was a major factor in the Astros coming to Olsen.
BQ_90
AG
and the Astros didn't play most of their first line guys. It was guys at camp that went back to the minors once the season started.

now I think they go play some of the minor league teams at their park.

I'd be shocked if they ever played at Olsen again
Aggie
AG
I have the 1988 and 1989 baseball media guides stored away somewhere in garage or attic. May even have The Eagle sports page from the following day. Curious to dig em out to see what day that game actually took place... I want to say it was after MLB opening day.
Have boxes and boxes of media guides as well as sports pages from newspaper all through the late 80's , early 90's till early/ mid 2000's for Aggie baseball, football and basketball.
Capt. America
AG
Looking forward to that!
HoustonAg2106
AG
Capt. America said:

Looking forward to that!

I don't think there are any conversations or plans for this to happen, OP is just saying it would be cool if they did
Agsncws
AG
It's a bit surprising, but the exhibition game was 4/18/88. Opening day that year was 4/4/88. I do not ever foresee an MLB team playing an exhibition like that during the season. Too much to risk and absolutely nothing to gain. But as a part of spring training games or those last few days before the regular season starts - sure.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Mr.Ackar07
HoustonAg2106 said:

Capt. America said:

Looking forward to that!

I don't think there are any conversations or plans for this to happen, OP is just saying it would be cool if they did
He is the OP
Capt. America
AG
I was looking forward to seeing if he was going to send in any scans of the old pictures. I'm fully aware that this idea probably won't come to fruition, but I think it would be a fun thing to play with anyway.
jja79
AG
My boss pitched 7 years in MLB, 3 with the Astros in the 80's and he said they sent players to CS from time to time to give clinics.
twk
AG
Agsncws said:

It's a bit surprising, but the exhibition game was 4/18/88. Opening day that year was 4/4/88. I do not ever foresee an MLB team playing an exhibition like that during the season. Too much to risk and absolutely nothing to gain. But as a part of spring training games or those last few days before the regular season starts - sure.
The problem is that those last few days are on a weekend, when we are engaged in conference play. About the only way I could see it happening was if we had a Thursday-Saturday series, and the Astros opened at home on a Tuesday. Under those circumstances, I suppose a Sunday exhibition game might be possible. Would they come to College Station to play us? That's not real likely--more likely would be us going to Minute Maid.
tjack16
AG
thread title and emoticon got me really excited for a second
HoustonAg2106
AG
Capt. America said:

I was looking forward to seeing if he was going to send in any scans of the old pictures. I'm fully aware that this idea probably won't come to fruition, but I think it would be a fun thing to play with anyway.

Gotcha, thought you were saying you're looking forward to them playing again...and because of that I thought you were replying to the OP about that, didn't realize you were he OP

My bad
Mr.Ackar07
The below photo was one of several images on the front of the 1979 baseball media guide showing Tom Chandler and Bill Virdon:

There were no other photos from that game in the guide.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.