Baseball Schedule 2017-18

12,249 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Agsncws
AirlineAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't think it has been released yet, but have there been any leaked games?
W
AG
LSU released their 2018 schedule a few days ago.

the Tigers will be at Blue Bell...April 6, 7, 8.

that is not Easter weekend or parents weekend.

LSU's 4 crossover opponents are ---> Mizzou, SCar, Tennessee, Vandy
technoviking
AG
that's my wedding weekend, damn! aggies better win!
Mr.Ackar07
Frisco College Classic:

March 2: LA Tech
March 3: Baylor
March 4: Cal-Berkeley
Amazing Moves
technoviking said:

Call it off.
ensign_beedrill
AG
W said:

Look for it to be moved to Thu-Sat. They always are.
tjack16
AG
I'm assuming we will play at Reckling this next season. Possibly UH coming to Olsen (when was the last time they came to Olsen for a regular season game?)
Wicked Good Ag
Houston will be at BBP this year
TexAg91
AG
technoviking said:

And Masters Weekend.
Luke The Drifter
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

W said:

Look for it to be moved to Thu-Sat. They always are.

And since it is Masters weekend, I'm fine with Thur-Sat baseball. Leaves Sunday free for a tradition like no other.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
twk
AG
I suspect that series will be a Thursday--Saturday, but I hope we don't have four of those like we did last year. That's tough on us out of towners who work.
Ag 11
AG
Schedule release date
histag10
AG
So.... this season I may not be an "out of stater"/t.v. fan only. In fact, I may even rekindle my regular romance with Olsen.
Aggie
AG
Houston Baptist will be at Olsen on Tuesday February 27

http://www.hbuhuskies.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball
ensign_beedrill
AG
At Auburn March 16-18
http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2017/08/auburn-baseball-releases-2018-schedule
jkag89
Amazing Moves said:

technoviking said:

Call it off.
Exactly, who in their right mind schedules a wedding during the college baseball season?
W
AG
Auburn's 4 crossover opponents ---> Kentucky (away), Mizzou (home), Florida (away), Vandy (home)

to go with LSU's 4 crossover opponents ---> Mizzou (home), SCar (away), Tennessee (home), Vandy (away)

--------

extrapolating from the above...it's highly unlikely that Mizzou is the Ags' East holdover opponent (from 2017) for 2018.

best guess right now on A&M's crossover opponents ---> Florida (home), Georgia (away), South Carolina (home), Kentucky (away)
Wicked Good Ag
The above poster is correct other than it could be Tennessee as wel instead of Kentucky. Both Florida and SC are at BBP
jbr
AG
Ole Miss here March 23-25th
W
AG
Ole Miss' 4 crossover opponents ---> Tennessee (home), Georgia (home), South Carolina (away), Vandy (away)
ensign_beedrill
AG
We open the season against Rhode Island. Schedule drops tomorrow!!

LJF78
Anyone else think we need upgrade our non conference schedule?
I know we're in SEC and play tough conference opponents but our non conference slate is ... Meh
twk
AG
LJF78 said:

I know we're in SEC and play tough conference opponents but our non conference slate is ... Meh
Hopefully, there will be at least one appetizing non-conference series, in addition to the Frisco tournament. If there is, that's about all you can ask.
TXAggie2011
AG
LJF78 said:

General trend for A&M has been a relatively weak non-conference schedule.

But we'll have to see the full schedule before making too many comments on this particular schedule.
clendenin
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

LJF78 said:

General trend for A&M has been a relatively weak non-conference schedule.

But we'll have to see the full schedule before making too many comments on this particular schedule.

Non Texas Super Regional Team on the schedule, but lets not mess up a good rant...

tjack16
AG
I'd like a weekend series with a big school (not Pepperdine or Fresno)

Rice, UH, Tech, Texas, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Cal St Fullerton, Arizona, UCLA, or an ACC school
twk
AG
tjholley17 said:

I'd like a weekend series with a big school (not Pepperdine or Fresno)

Rice, UH, Tech, Texas, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Cal St Fullerton, Arizona, UCLA, or an ACC school
It's not as easy at it sounds.

Rice, UH, and Texas are close enough that we are going to play them on Tuesdays. If you play them on a weekend, you drop them from the Tuesday slate and replace them with a really poor RPI team.

I have no desire to ever go to Lubbock for baseball, voluntarily (if the NCAA sends us, that's another matter)., We aren't likely to do a home and home with Tech because travel to Lubbock in February or early March is particularly unappealing.

OU and OSU also are problematic because of the weather.

By ACC schools, I assume you're talking about UVA, and the schools in the Carolinas and Florida. I'd be up for any of those if you could get them to come.

By default, the West Coast schools seem the most likely to be tempted by a home and home.
TXAggie2011
AG
1) If Long Beach State can handle traveling to Norman the first weekend of the season, Texas State can handle traveling to Stillwater later in February and Berkeley can handle traveling to Lubbock that same time, A&M can handle it too. Looking for every reason not to play someone isn't going to solve the scheduling issue.

2) If games against some of the better "local" schools may need to come midweek, fine by me (although I feel if Florida/Miami and South Carolina/Clemson or you name it---including Rice/Longhorns--can find a way to get weekend series, we can suck it up and do it too.)

The issue is A&M hasn't been regularly scheduling the better programs in the region the same way many (most) peer schools in other regions do. A couple of midweek games barring a top draw in the Houston tournament isn't going to give us a competitive non-conference schedule...this is compounded by the fact that we all know Rice is a popular choice for a midweek game but isn't the same program it once was.
twk
AG
Quote:

1) If Long Beach State can handle traveling to Norman the first weekend of the season, Texas State can handle traveling to Stillwater later in February and Berkeley can handle traveling to Lubbock that same time, A&M can handle it too. Looking for every reason not to play someone isn't going to solve the scheduling issue.
Sure, we could handle it on the field, but why would you want to if there are other options available? Would you, as a fan, be willing to travel to Lubbock for a series in February? If not, why should the team do it. You schedule these series not only for better competition, but also for recruiting reasons.

Finally, the other reason not to play "local" teams on the weekend is the "incest" effect on the RPI--when you play the same teams that your opponents play, it kills your RPI because it drives the number down to .500 regardless of results. The West Coast schools have been hurt by this for years--it's one reason they are more willing to travel. Tech, OSU, and OU, are close enough that they play a lot of the same opponents--not as many perhaps as Rice and UH, but enough that it makes a difference. Playing in the SEC helps us in regards to schedule diversity, but if we double down on too many local schools in non-conference play, it will show up in our RPI.
aggiepaintrain
AG
DROP IT

I need something to distract me from football. Please
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Finally, the other reason not to play "local" teams on the weekend is the "incest" effect on the RPI--when you play the same teams that your opponents play, it kills your RPI because it drives the number down to .500 regardless of results. The West Coast schools have been hurt by this for years--it's one reason they are more willing to travel.
This has been shown before to not be a meaningful factor, just as its been shown California, with 20+ teams spread across 5 conferences, has had less scheduling "incest" than regions notorious for producing tons of high RPI teams (most notably Florida where non-conference opponent routinely approach, and often exceed in the Miami-FSU-UF triad, 10 shared games).

And I'm not saying schedule a full slate of Big 12 teams or teams from the same conference...but we'll be better off, at the risk of "incest", scheduling programs that usually have decent or records in the same good conference than going for many of the options we've gone to in the past.

It doesn't have to be Norman, Stillwater, Lubbock or whatever location we're making excuses about; the point was larger about making excuses about [insert team] so to unnecessarily limit the options for reasons of comfort...especially limiting yourself to the west coast where you are correct in the sense there is high parity***.

***A result of having heavily clustered programs that are nearly all woefully underfunded.
twk
AG
Here it is

Home series with Long Beach State just before conference play begins. Hope that means a return trip the next year.
twk
AG
One thing about this schedule: there are only two Thursday-Saturday series on it right now, those being UGA (Easter) and USC (final weekend is always Thursday-Saturday). Have to assume that this will change when the TV folks work out their schedule.
TXAggie2011
AG
Cornell there in the same vein we knew Rhode Island and LBSU might be there, hopes they repeat their success. Otherwise the RPI can fall off pretty quickly in all three of their conferences.

Two with Northwestern State in the area of two with UTRGV last season.

Bottom three SEC East teams from last season should give a chance to rack up Ws.
twk
AG
I don't have a problem with Cornell and Rhode Island, given the other opponents, but your ideal "winnable" weekend opponent would be a team that it going to be at the top of one of the lesser conferences in the Southeast (they would have a high winning percentage in their own right, and you'd hope that there opponents winning percentage would be better than what we're likely to see with Cornell and Rhode Island).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.