12 Year-Old Franklin Baseball Player

4,270 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by wareagle044
Hop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
There was a feature story on a 12 year-old kid from Franklin playing for Team USA in the World Championships and he's the team's best pitcher and best hitter. He won MVP Pitcher of the World Championship Tournament and he was awarded a gold plate in honor of his five home runs...the most ever hit by a single player in the world championship tourney.

The local Bryan KBTX reporter asked him about his dream school he'd like to attend....Texas A&M down the road? Texas in Austin? No. He said his dream school was TCU. I know we've talked about TCU and how they have a big recruiting advantage with this whole private school scholarship deal...but a 12 year-old kid's dream school isn't based on scholarship percentages.

Anyway, I don't know what Schlossnagle is doing over there in Fort Worth to attract 11 and 12 year-olds, but he's on a roll.
Sandman98
AG
He's a kid who has seen them play a lot in Omaha on TV since he shed his pull-up. Just like you say he's a kid who doesn't understand the scholarship advantage, he's also not old enough to attribute his love for TCU to Schlossnagle himself.

If Baylor had been to Omaha four times since he was seven years old he'd be charting his course up highway 6. Let's let this one play out.
McCoveysCove
I agree, It has to do with the Omaha experience that TCU has been on the last 5 years, and to an extent Texas Tech. they are going regularly Hopefully we will be in Omaha 4-5 years in a row
Bondag
AG
Hop said:

Anyway, I don't know what Schlossnagle is doing over there in Fort Worth to attract 11 and 12 year-olds...
Phrasing
BurnetAggie99
spanky
AG
Franklin folks ain't smart
TXAggie2011
AG
It is likely pretty simple.

They have been the best baseball program in the state since he's had any understanding of what "college" is.

And that private schools have a significant scholarship advantage is a fallacy but we don't have to have that discussion again.
drthoop
AG
Would hope he comes around but we also need to think about the fact that just because he is good as a 12 year old doesn't translate to D1 ball. Let's let him grow up a little and see how he does at the HS level.
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
Hop
Staff
AG
drthoop said:

Would hope he comes around but we also need to think about the fact that just because he is good as a 12 year old doesn't translate to D1 ball. Let's let him grow up a little and see how he does at the HS level.

My point was that a lot of baseball kids in the area/state are growing up TCU fans as opposed to A&M or Texas fans which was the case for most of the past 30-40 years.
drthoop
AG
I understood that Hop. Just making a point that he's got time to "see the light".
Tom Hooper '82,'84,'86---- College Station, Texas
TheChameleon
AG
Bondag said:

Hop said:

Anyway, I don't know what Schlossnagle is doing over there in Fort Worth to attract 11 and 12 year-olds...
Phrasing
lol.... thread won
Leander - Ag
AG
Maybe a family connection ?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Hop said:

drthoop said:

My point was that a lot of baseball kids in the area/state are growing up TCU fans as opposed to A&M or Texas fans which was the case for most of the past 30-40 years.
I fall in the generation from 40 years ago and most of us who cheered for and wanted to go to A&M had family members or friends who attended A&M.

regarding college baseball interest there was ZERO coverage of that sport in the 70's; I could occasionally watch an A&M football or basketball game on TV, and could almost always pick up games on the radio. I never went to an A&M baseball game until my senior year in HS when the Aggies played TCU in Fort Worth.
Z
AG
A&M will be fine with this young man.....BTW, he's not 12 yet.
Hop
Staff
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Hop said:

drthoop said:

I fall in the generation from 40 years ago and most of us who cheered for and wanted to go to A&M had family members or friends who attended A&M.

regarding college baseball interest there was ZERO coverage of that sport in the 70's; I could occasionally watch an A&M football or basketball game on TV, and could almost always pick up games on the radio. I never went to an A&M baseball game until my senior year in HS when the Aggies played TCU in Fort Worth.

Until the late 80's/early 90's, A&M and Twzas were the only schools in the state that had a baseball stadium facility. Everybody else had bleachers and the park looked like a glorified high school facility. The SWC Conference Tourney rotated every other year between Austin and College Station.

There were no other baseball programs in Texas that were on the national radar.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Also there was no travel ball or baseball camps at colleges in the 70s
Hop
Staff
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

So...because college baseball wasn't as popular in the 70's and there wasn't club baseball then, that pushed kids to liking the two flagship schools in the state? I'm not sure how you are connecting the dots to the discussion at hand.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Hop
I don't think this is just a baseball thing. I think overall TCU is becoming more and more popular and it started with the football team and baseball road some of the coattails of that success and popularity. Granted the baseball program is now a power, but I don't think you can look at that in a vacuum.

TCUdid a great job of recruiting kids to their college overall and made it a desirable place. I know lots of people here in Northern California that now send their kids to TCU. The High School kids here would rather go to TCU than A&M and it has nothing to do with Baseball.

So hearing that a 12 year old kid wants to go to TCU probably has more to do with that kid's image of the school and not just baseball.
TXAggie2011
AG
Hop said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

So...because college baseball wasn't as popular in the 70's and there wasn't club baseball then, that pushed kids to liking the two flagship schools in the state? I'm not sure how you are connecting the dots to the discussion at hand.

I would imagine a lack of travel ball and especially baseball camps would limit the amount of exposure kids had to certain places, colleges, coaches, regions, etc. and help keep the focus on the (two) schools that dominated the headlines.

But either way, don't be a dick.
Paradise Ag
AG
If this kid is this good, why are we pretending he'll even play one minute of College baseball?

Haven't we learned that having a phenom "commit" to your school is fool's gold?
wareagle044
I think purple is in style for the younger generation
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.