Pitcher as DH question

1,966 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiealltheway
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In the Louisville game their pitcher McKay batted for himself while he was pitching and after he was replaced as pitcher he became the dh only batting for the pitcher in the 6th and 8th innings, In the top of the 9th he re-entered the game playing first base. Is that allowed? Watching in person I thought it wasn't but then I figured this had happened before since he plays first when he is not pitching, Just now found the 2016 NCAA rulebook and one of the rules for DH is

e Nine-player lineupDH is the pitcher 1) If the P/DH is replaced defensively as the pitcher: a) When replaced as the pitcher, the P/DH may: (1) Remain as the DH and bat only in the DH spot If remaining as the DH, the individual or subsequent DH, cannot enter the game in any other capacity (eg, as the pitcher, defensive player or pinch runner)

It seems to say he cannot enter the game as a defensive player.
Was there a different rule for 2017? Should we have protested?
CypressAg09
AG
I may be wrong, but I think at that point he's no longer considered a DH. He's just the first baseman and they lose their DH for the remainder of the game.
twk
AG
CypressAg09 said:

I may be wrong, but I think at that point he's no longer considered a DH. He's just the first baseman and they lose their DH for the remainder of the game.
I think this is the answer. He couldn't be the pitcher (and not DH), be relieved, go the bench, and come back and play a position, but if he's in the starting lineup as DH, he can switch to a position in the field (and the team give up the DH) later in the game, just like any regular DH would do (most often seen where a catcher is DH to start the game, but ends up catching late in the game).
powerbelly
AG
CypressAg09 said:

This is my understanding.
coconutED
AG
Quote:

RULE 5 / THE GAME-ITS BEGINNING AND END
Substitutions
SECTION 5.
a. Each team shall have nine eligible players in the game at all times.

d. The designated hitter may enter the game on defense once but must bat in the original position in the lineup. The pitcher must then bat in the position vacated by the player leaving the game...
Quote:

Rule 7 / BATTING
Designated Hitter
SECTION 2.

d. 10-player lineupDH is not the pitcher

5) If the DH is moved to a defensive position:
a) The DH is terminated. All nine-player lineup rules shall apply from this point forward.
NCAA Baseball Rules 2017/2018
Icecream_Ag
S
Cougar High had a kid a few years ago that would do that as well
mullokmotx
AG
If McKay had gone from pitcher to first base in the 6tth inning I don't see a rule violation. But he wasn't in the defensive lineup from the 6th until the top of the 9th, which seems to violate the part of the rule that says "the individual or subsequent DH, cannot enter the game in any other capacity (e..g, as the pitcher, defensive player or pinch runner)"
aggiealltheway
AG
mullokmotx said:

If McKay had gone from pitcher to first base in the 6tth inning I don't see a rule violation. But he wasn't in the defensive lineup from the 6th until the top of the 9th, which seems to violate the part of the rule that says "the individual or subsequent DH, cannot enter the game in any other capacity (e..g, as the pitcher, defensive player or pinch runner)"
I understand the other rules posted on this thread, but mullokmotx's question still remains. It appears to be a specific case of the rules that is an exception to the other ones posted. Can anyone answer it?
wadd96
AG
Verified with an NCAA umpire. (I wanted to verify that the rule hadn't changed since I have been out of the game since 2008.)

Providing that the starting P/DH goes to DH immediately upon replacement as P, he is eligible to return to the game as a defensive replacement, also assuming that he hasn't been replaced as the DH prior to returning as a defensive replacement.

In short, you can from 9 to 10 to 9, but you cannot go from 10 to 9 to 10...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
aggiealltheway
AG
Thanks, wadd. I think that answers it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.