A quick leap in the death of youth sportsmanship?

3,942 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
khaos288
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
VegasAg86
AG
Wow, would like to know what happened after that.

BQ_90
AG
Hopefully the coach was tossed. I'd toss the catcher but if she was following coaches orders then it's not her fault
TXAggie2011
AG
Hope the coach was tossed and will be suspended.

Also the fake Fenway Park outfield is dumb.
TXAggie2011
AG
What is the infield umpire trying to signal?
Serious Lee
both were tossed. not sure why the video has been recirculating all the sudden.

TXAggie2011
AG
Ah. This happened circa 2012/2013. Coach, pitcher, and catcher all tossed. Game was also called over (in the 3rd inning.)

https://www.google.com/amp/larrybrownsports.com/softball/softball-team-hit-umpire-face-video/212975/amp
Amazing Moves
Cy_Tolliver
If the game was called, why is it relevant that he threw out the coach, pitcher, and catcher?

TXAggie2011
AG
I don't know the rules of the tournament or whatever these clubs were playing in but it is possible being ejected came with a penalty. Being ejected in many leagues comes with an automatic suspension or an automatic hearing, at least.

Or maybe it doesn't really matter but it happened so it got reported.
MAROON
AG

been done by high school baseball players.
mdanyc03
AG
Quote:

but if she was following coaches orders then it's not her fault
I'd disagree with this. At least that is not what I teach my kids.
powerbelly
AG
That bush league crap should get the coach banned for life and the players for the year.
BurnetAggie99
Coaches have to call time or in between innings respectfully approach the ump and have a talk about the zone. Most of the time having a respectful conversation with the ump resolves the problem.

There are also protest committes at tournaments like this for this reason. They will stop the game until the protest is resolved. I've seen a tournament director along with the protest committee remove a home plate ump mid game for grossly not calling the zone fair both ways and that ump was suspended from that organization.
BQ_90
AG
mdanyc03 said:

Quote:

but if she was following coaches orders then it's not her fault
I'd disagree with this. At least that is not what I teach my kids.
well I've seen some select ball coaches and some are nut jobs. If the catcher got tossed it wouldn't have bothered me. The coach should be fired or barred from coaching in that league.
W
AG
a warning sign of what was about to happen...the catcher never made eye contact with the ump after coming back from the mound
coconutED
AG
FWIW, the pitcher involved (as identified in the link above) is currently listed on Utah's roster.

2017 Softball Roster
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I've seen a tournament director along with the protest committee remove a home plate ump mid game for grossly not calling the zone fair both ways and that ump was suspended from that organization.

The league will have a hard time finding umpires. EVERY sports team believes the officials are calling every ticky-tack thing against them and letting the other team get away with murder. In baseball, the strike zone is dugout to dugout for the other team and postage stamp for us. I think there's more to the story than what you say happened here -- as in the other umpire saw the problem and took action or held up the game until action was taken.

It is never out of the realm of possibility that the plate umpire was this bad but my point is that even in MLB, in college, high levels of high school, etc. people think individuals or groups of umpires don't belong there while those in charge (assignors) disagree. The ones in charge are almost always more knowledgable and always more objective.
BurnetAggie99
In this case the plate ump had a very wide zone for one team when batting and when they pitched its was super tight. Being the kids were on a pitch count the other team had already had to pitch like 7 kids. A parent had went and got the tournament director who was a certified HS and college ump himself. He watched the game. After watching the game he actually stopped the game and got with the protest committee and the managers. The plate ump was removed from the game and was given a one year suspension from that organization and had to also attend a ethics class.
ConLaw
AG
Coach, pitcher and catcher should have been charged with assault and battery.
WES2006AG
AG
ConLaw said:

Coach, pitcher and catcher should have been charged with assault and battery.
This. As an umpire I can guarantee I would press charges if I thought somebody intentionally threw at me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.