USC to name new coach

3,117 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
fourth deck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like South Florida's coach will be the next coach in Columbia.

http://www.wyff4.com/article/mark-kingston-to-be-tapped-as-usc-head-baseball-coach-sources-say/10241563

powerbelly
AG
I think that is a pretty good hire.
BurnetAggie99
Thought Deggs might had a outsider chance
Luke The Drifter
AG
I was surprised Florida's coach Kevin O'Sullivan got so many mentions for the USCe job. I know the Gamecocks were good under Ray Tanner, but I can't see USCe being an upgrade over UF...especially after the Gators just won the national title.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Luke The Drifter
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Thought Deggs might had a outsider chance

Deggs isn't getting a high profile job just yet. Too much baggage. Besides, you've got to have more than one magical post-season at SHSU to get the attention of an elite program (or at least that should be the case.)

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
BurnetAggie99
I understand the baggage and only being a HC a few years but he's had three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances while producing the first back-to-back 40-win seasons at SAM in along time.

His reputation as a recruiter and his style of offense has lead the NCCA in a ton of categories at every stop he's been. USC seems like they wants a coach that has a extensive resume and not a young upcoming type guy since they got burned with Holbrook.
TXAggie2011
AG
Don't mean to minimize what he's done, but Deggs is a much smaller story outside our microcosm of east-central Texas.

He's had a nice couple of seasons and the win in Lubbock was a neat story.

SHSU wasn't exactly on hard times or struggling to win games when he took over.

A little more seasoning and he'll get more looks from the big boys.
Luke The Drifter
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

I understand the baggage and only being a HC a few years but he's had three consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances while producing the first back-to-back 40-win seasons at SAM in along time.

His reputation as a recruiter and his style of offense has lead the NCCA in a ton of categories at every stop he's been. USC seems like they wants a coach that has a extensive resume and not a young upcoming type guy since they got burned with Holbrook.

Deggs followed David Pierce...who was good enough to get hired by Tulane then Texas. Pierce followed Mark Johnson...a college baseball hall of famer. Throw in the recently upgraded stadium, and Deggs took over a program that was in very fine shape.

Deggs has made the NCAAs the last two years...SHSU missed the post-season his first year in Huntsville (2015).

He did get 40 wins in back-to-back seasons since '86 and '87. Actually, in 1986, SHSU was still playing D-II baseball, so Deggs got the Bearkats to back-to-back 40 win seasons for the first time in Division I.

But at this point, his baggage is still a lot to overcome. He'll get his shot at a better program if he keeps winning...but he's not there yet. Assuming SHSU has another good year in 2018, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over at Rice in 2019 after Graham retires next year.
W
AG
anyone expecting a little bit more of a splash hire?
powerbelly
AG
W said:

anyone expecting a little bit more of a splash hire?

This is a pretty big splash hire for college baseball.
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I was surprised Florida's coach Kevin O'Sullivan got so many mentions for the USCe job. I know the Gamecocks were good under Ray Tanner, but I can't see USCe being an upgrade over UF...especially after the Gators just won the national title.

Evidently, two things were at play:

First, and most importantly, Florida's facilities suck, especially their fan facilities. Once Kentucky's new facility is built, the only thing keeping them from having the worst facility in the SEC might be Missouri. O'Sullivan has been trying to get something done on this for years, but Foley wouldn't get it done (something about a 10 year moritorium and needing to get the basketball facility done first). They have plans to do something about this, but, that's all it is at the moment--plans.

Second, O'Sullivan knows the state, having made his reputation as an assistant at Clemson, and may have some family ties there, too.

So, when the program with arguably the best baseball facility in the country comes calling, and you have personal reasons to find the area appealing, it's not unreasonable to consider your options. Obviously, with the title in hand, O'Sullivan probably feels that he's going to get what he wants from the new AD at Gainesville.
jkag89
Quote:

Assuming SHSU has another good year in 2018, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over at Rice in 2019 after Graham retires next year.
2018 is going to be Uncle Wanye's final season? Is this official or just speculation?
ftworthag02
AG
I know someone that would be perfect for usce....... Schloss. We need someone to steal him away
twk
AG
ftworthag02 said:

I know someone that would be perfect for usce....... Schloss. We need someone to steal him away
Schlossnagle isn't going anywhere. TCU has given him pretty much everything he could ask for. He lives across the parking lot from the ballpark. What could any program offer to entice him to leave?
TAM85
Where are you hearing 2018 will be Graham's last season at Rice?
Luke The Drifter
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Assuming SHSU has another good year in 2018, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes over at Rice in 2019 after Graham retires next year.
2018 is going to be Uncle Wanye's final season? Is this official or just speculation?

Pure speculation on my part. Surprised he didn't retire after this year.
jkag89
Luke The Drifter said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

Pure speculation on my part. Surprised he didn't retire after this year.
Thanks. From what I've read, if it is entirely up to Graham, he won't be leaving the Reckling dugout any time soon.

Spyderman
AG
baggage????
ftworthag02
AG
I know. I'm kidding. Plus you have Matt carpenter living across bellaire from stadium. Not to mention their huge pre season banquet and also the alumni baseball game that includes arrieta, carpenter, cashner, Holliday, purke, etc
Ben Puig 97
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

But at this point, his baggage is still a lot to overcome.
Can you all please explain this comment? What baggage does he have?
BurnetAggie99
Deggs was supposedly a drinker and it was causing health and family problems so RC let him resign and bow out gracefully to get his life and family back in order.
Luke The Drifter
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Deggs was supposedly a drinker and it was causing health and family problems so RC let him resign and bow out gracefully to get his life and family back in order.

And the (alleged) Baylor incident.

BurnetAggie99
Yea I figured everyone knew about that since Deggs was a firey guy and go after anyone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.