Learfield Director's Cup

3,296 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXAggie2011
src94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12th place in the final standings. Very admirable Ags. Proud of all of our student athletes who contributed and gave their all for Texas A&M. Gig'em. You make me proud to be an Aggie.
Luke The Drifter
AG
That's great, especially knowing how weakly football and men's basketball performed. The CWS runs in softball and baseball really helped.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
JRB78
ensign_beedrill
Fightin Ag491
Can definitely thank baseball for overcoming all odds and getting that CWS berth for the final push into 12th place.

The number 12 is... kind of a big deal around these parts
whoop91
AG
I don't really get why they include some sports and not others in the final spread sheet. I would like to see all sports that make up the total list.

We just need to field a Men's soccer, Woman Water Polo, Women's Rowing and a gymnastics team and we would do so much better. I wish we had lacrosse and hockey but those are northern sports it seems. We don't compete in shooting in the NCAA because we are competing in military competitions but that would be awesome to do both.
Luke The Drifter
AG
whoop91 said:

I don't really get why they include some sports and not others in the final spread sheet. I would like to see all sports that make up the total list.

We just need to field a Men's soccer, Woman Water Polo, Women's Rowing and a gymnastics team and we would do so much better. I wish we had lacrosse and hockey but those are northern sports it seems. We don't compete in shooting in the NCAA because we are competing in military competitions but that would be awesome to do both.

Each school is scored on their 20 best sports. So if you're like Stanford, for example, you can drop your low scorers and only count the 20 highest scorers.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
tk for tu juan
The final results show the spring sports. You can see the fall and winter points on the final sheets for fall and winter

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/Jan12DivIOverall.pdf

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/April27FinalDIOverallUPDATE.pdf
oragator
The format is being tweaked next year btw...
Instead of the top ten men's and top ten women's results, its the top 19 overall regardless of gender.
ensign_beedrill
AG
Can you imagine? A&M could have such a good rifle team.
nereus
AG
oragator said:

The format is being tweaked next year btw...
Instead of the top ten men's and top ten women's results, its the top 19 overall regardless of gender.
Interesting. I didn't know they were changing that. I just looked it up and not only is it just top 19 overall regardless of gender but it MUST include Baseball, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, and Women's Volleyball.

That is good news for us since we only have 19 teams total anyways (Equestrian is not counted in this).

It is also interesting that it requires baseball. Most of the teams toward the top have baseball teams anyways but Wisconsin finished in the top 20 and doesn't have one. Oregon didn't have one for a while and California was talking about getting rid of their team not that long ago. I'm not sure the director's cup has enough influence to really nudge a school into starting baseball or keeping it, but it is good to see baseball listed.

I'm surprised softball is not listed as being required since baseball is listed but I am assuming it is because they didn't want to require more female sports than male sports.
TXAggie2011
AG
Looks to me like they chose two sports from each gender that are generally high in 1) number of schools sponsoring them and 2) support and revenue.

Basketball is by far the most sponsored sport for men and women.

Volleyball otherwise only topped by track/cross country, and baseball only by cross country and by golf.

Still seems like an arbitrary rule.
nereus
AG
I agree. It seems not only arbitrary but somewhat unfair too. Even if they sponsor baseball, a major program from the north is going to be less likely to get points from it in a given year than a team from the south or west coast.

Of course the whole thing is arbitrary to some degree. Equestrian has 16 division 1 teams and doesn't count while men's gymnastics counts and has 15 division 1 teams. I know why they count men's gymnastics and not equestrian, but it is kind of arbitrary as well.

With such differences in the number and strength of schools sponsoring certain sports, and AD could certainly strategically sponsor certain sports to increase their rankings. I don't think schools are really doing that though.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I think the fairest way to score it would be to take an average points per sport each school sponsors. At the end of the year, add up all points from all sports your school sponsors and divide by the number of sports in which you participate. So if a school like Stanford wants to sponsor 40 sports, let 'em do so...but make each sport count.

One Tooth Man
^ Luke's idea plus weighting them against actual paid attendance.
TXAggie2011
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I think the fairest way to score it would be to take an average points per sport each school sponsors. At the end of the year, add up all points from all sports your school sponsors and divide by the number of sports in which you participate. So if a school like Stanford wants to sponsor 40 sports, let 'em do so...but make each sport count

I get that, but I also say good on Stanford for sponsoring all those sports.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.